Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 01-03-2017

All sorts of new pedestrian signage has been installed in the roundabouts in the Cambridge Lovell Industrial Park area!

I'll try and get some photos in the next few days.

Edit - there are 20 new signs per roundabout!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 01-15-2017

I remember seeing some sort road work / concrete pouring going on at the intersection of King East / Tulane (over by Sportsworld) about a month back, and wasnt sure what it was for. Was right in the middle of the road, in the physical median at the intersection. Was just on Tulane the other day, waiting in the line of traffic to turn left onto King, and was thinking to myself about how BAD the line up gets here - the lineup of cars waiting to turn left off of Tulane was literally longer than the entire street itself, backed up almost to the Home Depot entrance on Gateway:

[Image: IP2Np1k.png]

Anyway, by the time that I had moved up to the Wendys / movie theatre entrance, I noticed what the change was - both lanes on Tulane here are no left turn lanes (with the right being one of those rare left-right turn lanes). There was a new sign on of the hydro poles indicating as such, but the street markings still showed it only being a right turn lane. Anyway, apparently, I was the only one who noticed, as the right lane was completely empty, and I was able to drive up to the front and make the next light Smile

I guess the median changes must've been to accommodate a different turn radius?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 03:44 AM)GtwoK Wrote: both lanes on Tulane here are no left turn lanes (with the right being one of those rare left-right turn lanes).

Uh... could you rephrase that? I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean.

It sounds like you're saying there's no turning left from Tulane on to King?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 01-15-2017

I think that should be both lanes on Tu Lane are "now" left turn lanes...

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 01-15-2017

Aha! that makes a lot more sense! A very good change!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - boatracer - 01-16-2017

I was so used to only using the left lane I didn't even notice it when I was there on Saturday night, but saw the double left sign when heading down Gateway Park Drive this morning. Without the line markings on the pavement there is going to be a lot of honking swerving there since a lot of people make a wide left turn and move into the right hand lane to exit to the 401 West.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 01-16-2017

...which is absolutely my biggest pet peeve as a motorist - people turning into the wrong lane!!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 01-27-2017

From the CBC: Premier Kathleen Wynne to reject Toronto's request for tolls on DVP, Gardiner

Quote:Sources with knowledge of the decision told CBC Toronto that Wynne believes Mayor John Tory's plan for tolls "just isn't affordable" for drivers when they lack alternatives for commuting to downtown Toronto.
That's disappointing. Toronto's council voted overwhelmingly in favour of tolling the Gardiner. There's no reason why the provincial government should reject a city's request to charge tolls on an asset it's responsible for maintaining.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 01-27-2017

The old PC leader and the new PC leader put Wynne in a lose-lose scenario (helped by the NDP, 905 politicians, and pro-car Toronto politicians).

She could allow the tolls, and GTA mayors and her provincial counterparts would blame her, not Tory, for them. She could forbid the tolls and Tory would paint her as a nanny-state interfering in the jurisdictions of others. So she is trying to make a third way, where they get money but not from tolls. Still probably no improvement in anyone's view of her, but I'd say a net positive from either of the other options.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 01-27-2017

Some kind of announcement coming today. Saw them setting up for it in Cambridge on the EB 401>24 ramp as I drove past.

"She could allow the tolls, and GTA mayors and her provincial counterparts would blame her, not Tory, for them. She could forbid the tolls and Tory would paint her as a nanny-state interfering in the jurisdictions of others. So she is trying to make a third way, where they get money but not from tolls. Still probably no improvement in anyone's view of her, but I'd say a net positive from either of the other options."

There could have been a way to frame it in which the provincial government took the attitude that it was rubber-stamping a proposal from the City of Toronto, and it washes its hands of it.

The gas tax is separate from this issue entirely. I don't think anyone who feels that municipalities are being crunched and should have the ability to explore new revenue tools will be placated by that.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 01-27-2017

(01-27-2017, 11:03 AM)MidTowner Wrote: There could have been a way to frame it in which the provincial government took the attitude that it was rubber-stamping a proposal from the City of Toronto, and it washes its hands of it.

Not going to work.
The pitchforks would rise high with cries of "Wynne could have stopped it!" "Wynne's new road taxes!" "It's her fault!"
The anti-Wynne crowd doesn't need much to go on these days.

I'm disappointed with the decision too. Toronto is stuck in a situation where they're forced to maintain a very expensive road, but they don't get to choose how they fund it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 01-27-2017

Yeah, it's pretty sad. Sad People are pretty sick.

It's not too late for Toronto to reopen the debate about removal. A case could be made that at least some support for the current option (which was only narrowly supported) was due to an expectation that the expressway would be tolled in the future.

If Toronto really wanted, it could put the provincial government in the position of choosing between demolition, and tolls.

I agree that the pitch forks are out for the current government. No comment on whether most or even the balance of the complaints against them are justified. It seems to me that the thing to do is consolidate their base by making decisions that can be articulated to be closely aligned with their values and the mandate they were given.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - DKsan - 01-27-2017

(01-27-2017, 10:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Some kind of announcement coming today. Saw them setting up for it in Cambridge on the EB 401>24 ramp as I drove past.

Highway 401 Widening (including HOV lanes) between Townline and Hespeler. Feds are kicking in a bunch of funding. LINK