Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 12-04-2016

Ima just leave this here.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 12-04-2016

(12-04-2016, 04:29 PM)Canard Wrote:

I know someone who lives on the buildings on Caroline.  This is a daily occurrence.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 12-04-2016

I cross Erb and Bridgeport twice a day on my commute and see that at least once a month. Think about that, in just 80min of observation (20 work days x 2 crossing per day x 2 crossings x 1min each) there is someone going the wrong way at least once. A more frequent occurrence is blatant red-light runners at the pedestrian crossings which I would put at once a week or more.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 12-05-2016

There are "Red Light" cameras; are there such things as "Wrong Way" cameras? Big Grin

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 12-05-2016

Well I guess now we know why they needed to build such a wide turn radius at that corner. We need to make sure those people who would turn from a wrong-way on to a wrong-way can do so at convenient speed!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 09:03 AM)Canard Wrote: There are "Red Light" cameras; are there such things as "Wrong Way" cameras?  Big Grin

Seems like it could be pretty effective. What I’d like to know is the fraction of those that are deliberate and how many people just don’t realize the roads are one-way. They’re signed at every intersection but everybody makes the occasional error. To me the idea of going the wrong way on one of those roads is just crazy. I wouldn’t do it on a minor road either, but I can at least understand the temptation on, say, George St.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - nms - 12-05-2016

Hopefully some of the confusion will be cleared up when they update the surrounding streets next year.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinT - 12-10-2016

(12-04-2016, 04:29 PM)Canard Wrote:

In their defense, there weren't any No Right signs on Erb... Wink

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Square - 12-14-2016

Looks like the road widening on Ottawa from Charles to King has been delayed to 2020! http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7011207-doomed-diner-still-serving-up-christmas-cheer/

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 12-14-2016

Isn't that like... 40 m of road?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 12-14-2016

Huh

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 12-14-2016

Does the planned widening require the demolition of all three buildings on the "west" side of Charles, or only the Corner Pub?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - kps - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Does the planned widening require the demolition of all three buildings on the "west" side of Charles, or only the Corner Pub?

If the Kitchener GIS is to be trusted, there's enough road allowance for another lane on each side, but the corner of The Corner is in the way of rounding the turn. I'd guess the King corner building is safe because it's already chamfered.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 12-14-2016

(12-14-2016, 11:52 AM)BrianT Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Does the planned widening require the demolition of all three buildings on the "west" side of Charles, or only the Corner Pub?

All three buildings will be demolished.

That should create a nice redevelopment opportunity at a fairly prominent location (in an area that badly needs the boost).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 12-14-2016

Over/Under on how long the land will sit vacant?
I'm going to guess at least 4 years.