Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - plam - 09-26-2016

(09-24-2016, 09:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote: In the suburbs, park and ride is really a requirement for GO to be successful.  Hopefully they would also provide a good level of bicycle parking -- but neither transit or walking can provide enough coverage to get the people to use GO in such a setting.

Viewfrom42, what would you propose as an alternative for the suburban stations?

I think GO has been slightly ahead of the curve with covered bicycle parking. It's never full, though, from what I can see. Thinking of the Oshawa station, for instance, it would be really hard to bike there. On the other hand, Square One and also our own Intermodal hub should be reachable by many modes of transportation, including bicycles and local transit.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 09-26-2016

There are some efforts being taken, e.g. Metrolinx giving seven figures towards the Spur Line trail in KW so as to make it easier to get to the station by bike. There are not really any facilities GO tends to build that aren't built without parking and car accessibility taken as the main aim, and they should start to think about accessibility from non-car standpoints, which will involve things like that, or supporting/augmenting local transit service/routes to fit in.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 09-26-2016

Can a sunny mural help calm traffic in Kitchener? - Video, CTV Kitchener

I believe Portland has done a lot of this kind of thing, with good success. It's a cute idea, I hope it works.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 09-26-2016

Saw that the other day, had been wondering what it was for! It really is very bright and vibrant in person, I could definitely see it working.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 09-27-2016

The connection between painted murals on streets and traffic calming is a mystery to me. I have no problem with decorated streets, but it wouldn't change the way I drive.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 08:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The connection between painted murals on streets and traffic calming is a mystery to me.  I have no problem with decorated streets, but it wouldn't change the way I drive.

Well I can't speak to you, but it does change the way people drive. It's different from what they expect, something different always makes people cautious. It also makes the road feel less like a road.

There is a street redesign completed in Utrecht which puts this idea on steroids:

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2016/09/27/designing-for-people-by-erasing-a-car-friendly-past/

Design of the road has a huge effect on how people drive it.

The real question I have is whether the result will be persistent.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - curiouschair - 09-28-2016

It looks as if the Columbia Street West project will be delayed:

Columbia Street bids come in millions over budget

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 09-29-2016

Bids for a single lane of travel come in at over $10M/km, or roughly on par with LRT.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 09-29-2016

(09-29-2016, 08:24 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Bids for a single lane of travel come in at over $10M/km, or roughly on par with LRT.

(Closer to $30-75M/km for LRT.)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 09-29-2016

With what we paid for it, the direct cost to local governments Tongue

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 09-29-2016

Ahh. Well then if you're Hamilton or anywhere else in the GTHA, do you count it as $0M/km? Wink

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 09-29-2016

(09-29-2016, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 08:24 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Bids for a single lane of travel come in at over $10M/km, or roughly on par with LRT.

(Closer to $30-75M/km for LRT.)

Isn't 30-75M/km for system length?  I.e., including two tracks, stations, etc.  

If you uninclude stations, and double the "single lane" for roads, you're going to get something much closer.

Of course, I have no idea where the 10M per lane KM comes from, but it sounds rightish.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 09-29-2016

The cost in this case has a lot to do with the bridge over the creek just east of Erbsville Road. I'm interested to know why staff was so far off on their estimates. Can it really be that there is too much demand for construction and that is driving up the cost that much? Is it just the complexity of building the bridge there (it seems like a challenging spot)?

This part of Columbia Street really needs to be fixed, and it is disappointing that it needs to be delayed and retendered after having been approved by council three years ago.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 09-29-2016

(09-29-2016, 09:52 AM)timc Wrote: The cost in this case has a lot to do with the bridge over the creek just east of Erbsville Road. I'm interested to know why staff was so far off on their estimates. Can it really be that there is too much demand for construction and that is driving up the cost that much? Is it just the complexity of building the bridge there (it seems like a challenging spot)?

This part of Columbia Street really needs to be fixed, and it is disappointing that it needs to be delayed and retendered after having been approved by council three years ago.

Is this part of Columbia bad?  I used to drive it regularly, and it seemed fine, but that was about 10 years ago.

There is the suggestion that there is a lot of demand for construction, this is reasonable given the LRT is underway, along with a few other big projects, this will definitely drive up the cost.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - clasher - 09-29-2016

I rode through there a couple weeks ago and it's pretty rough in some spots, you can see the potholes and crappy patch job on streetview if you're curious.

I think the high bids are because of the increased cost of dealing with sensitive wetlands and building the bridge. Seems like the kind of project that bidding close would just result in a contractor taking a bath.