Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 07:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 07:44 PM)MidTowner Wrote: This is the definition of anecdotal. You take this street "all the time" (let's be generous and say that means daily), but it's a kilometre between Conestoga and Lexington along Davenport- going 50 kilometres per hour, you're spending about a minute there each trip. Thankfully, planners don't take daily minute-long snap shots of how many people are using a street.

Sorry dude, but pretty much all we do here is trade anecdotal information, with the occasional reference to a cool study. This is not an academic forum.

And by the way you haven't provided any data, so my anecdotal data is one over your posting which contains none.

Anyone with common sense can tell why there are no pedestrians there: nothing fronts on that street. It's fully fenced by house backyards and goes from the parking lot at Conestoga Mall to nowhere for pedestrian purposes. This would be in contrast to a road diet on King (say as it happened in Kitchener) where there are plenty of destinations to attract pedestrians to the slower, safer street.

The fact that it wasn't that much money ($3 million) is a lame excuse, by the way.

"Dude"?

Your post said that you drive down Davenport "all the time" (what does that mean exactly?) and can count "on one hand" the number of people on bike or foot there. Well, I've biked down Davenport more than five times, so I guess my "data" are better than yours. Add that to the other poster who said he bikes there and appreciates the slower speed of car traffic, and I guess your observations are limited.

Nothing fronts Davenport. You only drive down it, and didn't read my post, but there are a number of path crossings that meet Davenport, and on either side of that street are residential areas, parks, and churches. And bus stops.

You said it was wasted money. Well, it wasn't that much money, as you say, and usually these things are measured in terms of value. $3 million to serve the people who use this street (and we have absolutely no idea from this forum how many those number...) is probably pretty good value.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - BuildingScout - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 08:47 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Your post said that you drive down Davenport "all the time" (what does that mean exactly?) and can count "on one hand" the number of people on bike or foot there. Well, I've biked down Davenport more than five times, so I guess my "data" are better than yours. Add that to the other poster who said he bikes there and appreciates the slower speed of car traffic, and I guess your observations are limited.

I'd say conservatively I drive at least once a week, to-and-fro, for the last year. That is 100 data points, which is not insubstantial. In fact the sample is large enough that we can upper bound the amount of time that the street is occupied, even if my sample is assumed to be instantaneous to your advantage (instead of the more accurate two minute each way).

Since I've seen less than five pedestrians this means that the street is occupied less than 1/20th of the time, otherwise my observed sample would be larger. This means there is a pedestrian in the street for 3 minutes of every hour. Coincidentally enough this is a good estimate of how long would someone use the street to walk down on it for 1/4 of its length at walking speed. This means one person per hour or about 12 people per day walk on that street. At a cost of $3 million we spent about $80 per each pedestrian use (note: use not user) for 10 years.

By the way, if we were building the street from scratch I'd be in favour of the current configuration, since it looks nicer with the median. What is questionable is the decision to apply the diet to this particular unused street.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 09:24 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 08:47 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Your post said that you drive down Davenport "all the time" (what does that mean exactly?) and can count "on one hand" the number of people on bike or foot there. Well, I've biked down Davenport more than five times, so I guess my "data" are better than yours. Add that to the other poster who said he bikes there and appreciates the slower speed of car traffic, and I guess your observations are limited.

I'd say conservatively I drive at least once a week, to-and-fro, for the last year. That is 100 data points, which is not insubstantial. In fact the sample is large enough that we can upper bound the amount of time that the street is occupied, even if my sample is assumed to be instantaneous to your advantage (instead of the more accurate two minute each way).

Since I've seen less than five pedestrians this means that the street is occupied less than 1/20th of the time, otherwise my observed sample would be larger. This means there is a pedestrian in the street for 3 minutes of every hour. Coincidentally enough this is a good estimate of how long would someone use the street to walk down on it for 1/4 of its length at walking speed. This means one person per hour or about 12 people per day walk on that street. At a cost of $3 million we spent about $80 per each pedestrian use (note: use not user) for 10 years.

By the way, if we were building the street from scratch I'd be in favour of the current configuration, since it looks nicer with the median. What is questionable is the decision to apply the diet to this particular unused street.

So 3 million isn't *just* for pedestrians, for one, they repaved the road, so that's for drivers, built a traffic circle, again for drivers, and as a result traffic speeds are decreased and the road functions better, which also does benefit drivers as well as other users.  Finally, there's cyclists as well.

As for your numbers, let me ask you this, have you actually walked or ridden down the road?  I believe it is fairly common for drivers to underestimate the number of pedestrians using a road simply because they don't see them, as, quite reasonably, drivers are usually focused on the road.  When I drive, I certainly don't notice pedestrians as much as I do while walking.  Even biking I will tend not to notice them as much.  You should try walking it, or at least riding it before passing judgement.  You've heard from several on here who have ridden or walked the road who contradict your numbers.  And again, there's a bus route and several destinations on the street which would see far more foot traffic than you suggest already.

Also, about cost, Davenport was a full rebuild, most road diets are just paint, and maybe a few curb changes, and often cost not more than 150k.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - BuildingScout - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 09:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: So 3 million isn't *just* for pedestrians, for one, they repaved the road, so that's for drivers, built a traffic circle, again for drivers, and as a result traffic speeds are decreased and the road functions better, which also does benefit drivers as well as other users.  Finally, there's cyclists as well.

As for your numbers, let me ask you this, have you actually walked or ridden down the road?  I believe it is fairly common for drivers to underestimate the number of pedestrians using a road simply because they don't see them, as, quite reasonably, drivers are usually focused on the road.  When I drive, I certainly don't notice pedestrians as much as I do while walking.  Even biking I will tend not to notice them as much.  You should try walking it, or at least riding it before passing judgement.  You've heard from several on here who have ridden or walked the road who contradict your numbers.  And again, there's a bus route and several destinations on the street which would see far more foot traffic than you suggest already.

Also, about cost, Davenport was a full rebuild, most road diets are just paint, and maybe a few curb changes, and often cost not more than 150k.

You make a good point that this cost includes repaving and that other road diets tend to be cheaper.

As for the numbers, I stand by them. I'm generally a fan of road diets but I'm also a fanatically numbers guy. So when something like this happens I pay a lot of attention to see if the data confirms or refutes my opinion. When Davenport opened I was originally very much in favour, since as I said I like the look. However, as a numbers guy I kept a tally and realized that neither Davenport nor Lexington changed much with the diet.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - clasher - 06-24-2016

If they went through with the road diet on Lexington from Davenport up to Weber it might actually serve as a real cycling route for people to use to get from uptown to the mall. The way Lexington is now is downright scary to ride on. The cheap way out would be to put some MUP in place of the sidewalks, there is a lot of room on the boulevards for that alternative and the drivers wouldn't have to slow down. I don't have data for average speeds but they certainly feel well above the posted limited and it seems when I drive it most people are going over 60km/h and the lanes don't really permit cyclists enough room to share the lane with drivers.

I used to ride Davenport on my way to work up in the north end industrial park, two daily trips all season long. I worked evening and night shifts too. It's much nicer of a ride with the road the way it is. It seemed overbuilt with 4 lanes. I think the only way to get reliable realistic numbers is to have trip counters installed on the cycling lanes.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - eizenstriet - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 10:22 PM)clasher Wrote: ...cycling route for people to use to get from uptown to the mall.

A very nice way to do this is on the Laurel Trail. Start at Waterloo City Hall, continue alongside Laurel Creek, making necessary road crossings and occasional dekes away from the stream, until you get to the fork of the trails in Hillside Park (I think that's what it's called - in any event, it's lovely and park-like). Thence carry on alongside Forwell Creek, taking you right up to Manulife. Then cheat up the sidewalk to the mall.

It really doesn't take much longer than driving (given all the red lights) and circling like a vulture to score a choice parking spot. It's a very bucolic and fairly direct path, and way more soothing than a designated roadside cycling allowance along Weber/Lexington/Davenport.

If you're buying a 60" flat screen TV at the mall, disregard the above.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-24-2016

(06-24-2016, 11:15 PM)eizenstriet Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 10:22 PM)clasher Wrote: ...cycling route for people to use to get from uptown to the mall.

A very nice way to do this is on the Laurel Trail. Start at Waterloo City Hall, continue alongside Laurel Creek, making necessary road crossings and occasional dekes away from the stream, until you get to the fork of the trails in Hillside Park (I think that's what it's called - in any event, it's lovely and park-like). Thence carry on alongside Forwell Creek, taking you right up to Manulife. Then cheat up the sidewalk to the mall.

There's actually multi-use trails along King St. now.

Also, many of us actually start from the University, which is why I was disappointed the Lexington Road route was abandoned.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - mpd618 - 06-25-2016

(06-24-2016, 09:24 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I'd say conservatively I drive at least once a week, to-and-fro, for the last year. That is 100 data points, which is not insubstantial. In fact the sample is large enough that we can upper bound the amount of time that the street is occupied, even if my sample is assumed to be instantaneous to your advantage (instead of the more accurate two minute each way).

Since I've seen less than five pedestrians this means that the street is occupied less than 1/20th of the time, otherwise my observed sample would be larger....

Are your 100 data points evenly distributed throughout the day?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 06-25-2016

If you guys are going to pick on BuildingScout for his observations like this then really you're discrediting every observation made by anyone on this forum about anything.

We're all here just discussing what we observe.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Drake - 06-25-2016

I would like to get in on this controversial topic as well. $3M is not a small amount. Sorry if the LRT budget has dazzled us into thinking so.

What was this road like before, and after, the $3 Million?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - chutten - 06-25-2016

Before

After

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - mpd618 - 06-25-2016

(06-25-2016, 07:40 AM)Canard Wrote: If you guys are going to pick on BuildingScout for his observations like this then really you're discrediting every observation made by anyone on this forum about anything.

BuildingScout's observations are valuable and worth sharing, but he presents them as authoritative, which they are not.

Further: No-one's observations are authoritative. We're all equals here, unless anyone actually works with or captures this data for the Region, or is a traffic engineer.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - BuildingScout - 06-25-2016

(06-25-2016, 11:07 AM)mpd618 Wrote: BuildingScout's observations are valuable and worth sharing, but he presents them as authoritative, which they are not.

To the contrary, I've admitted they are anecdotal. Midtowner and others are the ones who dismiss them wholesale whenever (and only when) they do not match their preconceptions. You never see them raising such objections when say, people reported usage of the temporary 200 stops on Weber.