Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - dubya - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 11:00 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The plows and salters were out on Benton St hill last evening, but I guess it always gets done quickly.

I saw two plows out last night on my short drive from Monarch Woods area to Uptown Waterloo.

The Record said this morning that average April snowfall is 7 cm and we have gotten more than triple that this weekend alone so the Region may for economic reasons not contract for as many drivers post March 31st, hence the perception there weren't any out?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 04-04-2016

My little cul de sac in Kitchener was plowed this morning at 6am.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - kaiserdiver - 04-13-2016

I've recently had to start making a left turn from Victoria onto Weber northbound as part of my morning commute, and I've been frustrated a couple of times to discover that the usual advance green for the turning lane was not there. Does anyone know whether or not advance greens are tied to certain times or days? I wasn't able to find the information at the region's Signs & Signals page.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 04-13-2016

I've been wondering about that one too.

I was on a #6 bus that needed 3 light cycles to make that turn.
But then 2 days ago, I drove through, and sure enough there was the advance green. It was short, (2 or 3 cars got through) but it was there.

The thing is, there's so much traffic on Victoria, I can't see them giving more time to the advance. I think it's just starting to cripple under the volume of people avoiding King, Queen, and Benton/Frederick.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 04-13-2016

An advance green, even a short one, is important as it clears out the cars turning left (or, I should say - it has a better chance of clearing them out). Without that, just one car turning left effectivley halves the intersection's through capacity, since one of the two lanes in each direction is blocked. People will always tend to shift to the right lane if the car in front of them has their left turn signal on when they approach the red, so you tend to get 3 or 4 cars in a row all waiting right at the stop bar to turn left. So an advance will clear them out.

Therefore I believe a slightly longer advance could actually increase the capacity of the intersection, rather than hinder it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 04-13-2016

That specific intersection has Left Turn lanes though, negating impact from a lane that can't be used. That being said, I have noticed that it typically takes a few light cycles to make it through that intersection, if you're turning left. The Left Turn lanes themselves aren't long enough to hold all the cars that need them, either.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 04-13-2016

Oh shoot, right - I was thinking only Weber had left turn queue bays and Victoria did not, but Google reminded me that they both do. Never mind!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 04:57 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh shoot, right - I was thinking only Weber had left turn queue bays and Victoria did not, but Google reminded me that they both do.  Never mind!

It used not to. They only got added after the underpass was built.  That's probably what's got you mixed up!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 04-13-2016

I noticed that too last week. Same deal iXpress took 5(!) light cycles to get through at 8AM. I was going to contact the region, but forgot to.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 04-14-2016

That's becoming an intersection where a GRT bus should be able to use a different kind of queue jump, where opposing advanced greens for left-turning vehicles on Victoria start a cycle, but the presence of a bus looking to turn left to head north on Weber would see the West-to-South left turn go off as all eastbound traffic got the green light, allowing a bus that couldn't get into the left-turn queue to get into it and go through on a much earlier cycle.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 04-15-2016

Construction pylons along the west side of the Weber St underpass today. Maybe they're finally finishing of those rails?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 04-16-2016

Good grief, I hope so!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 05-19-2016

The new Manitou bridge over Schneider Creek is undergoing the final work to make it 4-lane. This means, however, temporary restriction to one lane at the moment - which does not help given the Courtland closure.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 05-19-2016

Does anyone know if work is planned at Ottawa and River? I noticed they had new traffic lights strung up behind the current ones which seem to otherwise be perfectly functional.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - greybird - 05-19-2016

Ottawa is being redone in that area this summer. From River to Lackner, I think.