Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 08:14 AM)jamincan Wrote: A lot of cyclists go through the intersection, either continuing south on Erbsville or turning onto Conservation, and the traffic through there can be quite unpredictable. I was turning left onto Conservation on my bike once and nearly got flattened by a lady in a SUV gunning it across Conservation as soon as the traffic cleared heading north. I was waiting directly in front of her the whole time too, waiting for the same break in traffic to turn, but somehow was completely invisible. (And no I was not dressed in black)

While I totally understand the reflex, I really hope this qualification is not needed in this forum :'(.

The intersection is very poor, I've generally avoided it, the "bike lane" is garbage too.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - nms - 07-20-2021

The traffic camera has been installed on its post just west of Keatsway Public School on Keats Way.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 07-21-2021

(07-20-2021, 11:26 PM)nms Wrote: The traffic camera has been installed on its post just west of Keatsway Public School on Keats Way.

I do not understand the skittishness of pols around these things.

Frankly, I don't want to be a politician, but I would enjoy telling people whining to me that they got a ticket, that they should fucking slow down in a school zone!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 07:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 11:26 PM)nms Wrote: The traffic camera has been installed on its post just west of Keatsway Public School on Keats Way.

I do not understand the skittishness of pols around these things.

Frankly, I don't want to be a politician, but I would enjoy telling people whining to me that they got a ticket, that they should fucking slow down in a school zone!

At other locations I might understand skittishness more — it might not be obvious which would be the bigger effect on voting: negative ratings from people complaining about “cash grab” speed enforcement, or positive ratings from people who want more speed enforcement; but in an elementary school zone I find it hard to believe that public sentiment wouldn’t lean in the direction of keeping the kids safe, even if motor vehicles do need to slow down.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Bob_McBob - 07-21-2021

Are you sure it's actually a camera? They install the shell with a metal piece blocking the window before they install the camera inside.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Chris - 07-22-2021

Maybe it's a Parkway and not a Boulevard?

Five motorists charged with stunt driving in Cambridge on Tuesday night
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/five-motorists-charged-with-stunt-driving-in-cambridge-on-tuesday-night-1.5518131

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 07-25-2021

Pickup trucks are a plague on Canadian streets

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jeffster - 07-26-2021

(07-22-2021, 09:44 AM)Chris Wrote: Maybe it's a Parkway and not a Boulevard?

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/five-motorists-charged-with-stunt-driving-in-cambridge-on-tuesday-night-1.5518131

Though I had responded to this, but that one driver doing more than 100 over needs to lose his license permanently. Even if he thought it was a higher limit, it was still more than 100 over. Just wow to the stupidity.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jeffster - 07-26-2021

(07-25-2021, 10:04 AM)Acitta Wrote: Pickup trucks are a plague on Canadian streets

I don't have a sub, what did it say?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 08:00 PM)jeffster Wrote:

Though I had responded to this, but that one driver doing more than 100 over needs to lose his license permanently. Even if he thought it was a higher limit, it was still more than 100 over. Just wow to the stupidity.

Even ignoring the two drivers doing 100 over, there are three more doing 50 over the limit. On a suburban road. What's wrong with these people?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 08:02 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 10:04 AM)Acitta Wrote: Pickup trucks are a plague on Canadian streets

I don't have a sub, what did it say?
Clear your cookies to read it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 08:00 PM)jeffster Wrote:

The fastest the limit could possibly be is 80km/h, since higher limits are reserved for controlled-access highways (with some minor arguable exceptions for older ones which still have a few driveways). So based on that, he would be “only” 113km/h over the limit. Either way, yes, I agree that a permanent irrevocable license cancellation is in order. If he’s caught driving, ever, 10 years in prison, minimum. Longer if there is any whining about it whatsoever. Enough already.

No, I don’t know how to square what I just said with the idea that we should try not to incarcerate people too much.

By the way, who are the two older females? That’s not the stereotypical stunt driver…

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ac3r - 07-27-2021

This is not exactly related to roads or highways, nor Waterloo Region, but transportation related nonetheless. I had no idea Ontario Northland Railway was proposing a resumption of passenger services. This is good news for travel to Northern Ontario for those who don't have (or want to operate) a personal vehicle. I think they'd need to really fix up the track if they want to make this viable because the track is very old with poor conditions, which resulted in previous routes being constantly late. Their business case report is here: https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/sites/default/files/corporate-document-files/Northeastern-Passenger-Rail-Service-Initial-Business-Case.pdf

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jeffster - 07-27-2021

(07-26-2021, 10:37 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: By the way, who are the two older females? That’s not the stereotypical stunt driver…

If I'm out driving on the 401 at 125kph, I have two types of people passing me; under 30 year old males with their after-market spec'd car, and 25+ females in a rush, plenty of mini-vans and Mercedes in that category.

My ex-wife got pulled over a few times for speeding, no tickets, she had water-works about some sad story and got off every time.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 07-29-2021

(07-26-2021, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:00 PM)jeffster Wrote: Though I had responded to this, but that one driver doing more than 100 over needs to lose his license permanently. Even if he thought it was a higher limit, it was still more than 100 over. Just wow to the stupidity.

Even ignoring the two drivers doing 100 over, there are three more doing 50 over the limit. On a suburban road. What's wrong with these people?

Shouldn't we also be asking what's wrong with our traffic engineers who design these roads?  I've never been on the road discussed in this article, but I frequently drive on Bingeman Centre drive, and find I very difficult to drive at the 50 limit.  In no way am I justifying 100+ km over the limit, but it feels wrong to be going that slow.  I can only assume this Cambridge road "feels" the same way.

Coke