Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 07-17-2018

Woah... Isn't that extremely ahead of schedule? I'm positive it was supposed to be finished in 2019.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - boatracer - 07-18-2018

(07-17-2018, 06:14 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Woah... Isn't that extremely ahead of schedule? I'm positive it was supposed to be finished in 2019.

I think slightly.  I think the original closure plan was for 2 years.  They started the end of Nov 2016.  The article made it sound like they were actually a little behind.  Maintaining pedestrian/cyclist access and not being able to work in the river necessitated the seemingly long construction length.  I will be glad when it is open since I live on that side of Cambridge and when there is an issue on the EB 401 it really screws up the whole area.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 07-18-2018

On the Radio, they said the original plan was to open it fall of 2018. That seems to jive correctly in my memory of what the construction sign has said at the Blair Road Roundabout. I think they said they're a few weeks behind... but a few weeks in a 2-year project is just fine!

I'm probably in a minority, but a little part of me is (very selfishly) sad to see it open, because it's been a very blissful commute by bicycle between Kitchener and Cambridge along that way. The tight, original section between Shantz Hill and Preston Parkway will now be fairly unpleasant and dangerous to cycle on, since the new MUT ends at Preston Parkway.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 07-18-2018

(07-18-2018, 06:36 PM)Canard Wrote: On the Radio, they said the original plan was to open it fall of 2018.  That seems to jive correctly in my memory of what the construction sign has said at the Blair Road Roundabout.  I think they said they're a few weeks behind... but a few weeks in a 2-year project is just fine!

I'm probably in a minority, but a little part of me is (very selfishly) sad to see it open, because it's been a very blissful commute by bicycle between Kitchener and Cambridge along that way.  The tight, original section between Shantz Hill and Preston Parkway will now be fairly unpleasant and dangerous to cycle on, since the new MUT ends at Preston Parkway.

Probably still a minority, but you're not the only one.  I was quite disappointed when I saw that there seemed to be no infra all the way through.  Yet another piece of disconnected infrastructure.

I did enjoy exploring Preston while I was able to safely get to it, alas, no more.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Lens - 07-26-2018

These three buildings on Ottawa between King and Charles all have Sitler Demolition signs up. I presume this is for the Ottawa St. rework. That whole block is prime for redevelopment so maybe this clean parcel will help spur something.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ka6z7jUmV1s

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jeffster - 07-26-2018

(07-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Lens Wrote: These three buildings on Ottawa between King and Charles all have Sitler Demolition signs up. I presume this is for the Ottawa St. rework. That whole block is prime for redevelopment so maybe this clean parcel will help spur something.

Is that the "Corner Pub" and the old Short Stop headquarters??

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Lens - 07-26-2018

(07-26-2018, 06:53 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Lens Wrote: These three buildings on Ottawa between King and Charles all have Sitler Demolition signs up. I presume this is for the Ottawa St. rework. That whole block is prime for redevelopment so maybe this clean parcel will help spur something.

Is that the "Corner Pub" and the old Short Stop headquarters??

Yes! Not sure why but my link didn't show up before.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 07-26-2018

https://goo.gl/maps/Ka6z7jUmV1s

Iirc, those buildings are to be demolished to make way for a widening of Ottawa St in that block.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 07-26-2018

Is the road being widened or something too?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - trainspotter139 - 07-26-2018

(07-26-2018, 10:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Is the road being widened or something too?

that part of Ottawa is supposed to be widened sometime soon

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 07-26-2018

Does anyone know if the construction work at Kossuth and Hwy 24 is just regular maintenance, or is there some sort of other change happening there? Kossuth is now completely closed to traffic at Hwy 24, which seems a bit extreme if it's just resurfacing or something similar.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Waterlooer - 07-27-2018

(07-26-2018, 11:57 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know if the construction work at Kossuth and Hwy 24 is just regular maintenance, or is there some sort of other change happening there? Kossuth is now completely closed to traffic at Hwy 24, which seems a bit extreme if it's just resurfacing or something similar.

Wellington County is constructing a roundabout at that intersection. It’s expected to be complete by late September.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 07-28-2018

University Ave widening between Erb and Westmount starts Monday for 3 months.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 07-31-2018

(07-28-2018, 01:04 PM)timio Wrote: University Ave widening between Erb and Westmount starts Monday for 3 months.

Did they go with the roll curb on those "protected" cycling lanes too?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 07-31-2018

(07-31-2018, 12:55 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Did they go with the roll curb on those "protected" cycling lanes too?

No, these are "buffered" bike lanes. Paint only.