Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 12:42 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Maybe it will encourage drivers to not drive into the bike lane to avoid the bump.

Even if that was a reasonable idea, the pavement markings are contrary to that, the shark teeth (which frankly are pointing the wrong way) are lined up to encourage drivers into the bike lane.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 01:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:42 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Maybe it will encourage drivers to not drive into the bike lane to avoid the bump.

Even if that was a reasonable idea, the pavement markings are contrary to that, the shark teeth (which frankly are pointing the wrong way) are lined up to encourage drivers into the bike lane.

I wondered about that too, but it's contradicted by the absence of a bump on the inside of the car lane.  Most motorists would keep their driver's side wheels on the flat surface to diminish the "bump effect".  As I said, the logic escapes me and I'm wondering if it's just a construction error?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 11-28-2017

At spots like this, I'd almost think you'd need to have some kind of flexible bollards such that you can have the whole car lane be the bump, but have the car get thwacked in the face 3-5 times should they try to straddle into the bike lane to spare half their car.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 11-28-2017

If it's a construction error, what were the contractors thinking?
"Hey, there's a bike lane here. Are we sure we're supposed to put the hump at the edge of the road through this line? Should we check the design spec again?"
"Nah."

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 11-28-2017

It's on purpose.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-28-2017

God damnit. How complicated is this. Can we do nothing right.

Even if what they say was true the pavement markings are wrong. The bike lane isn't even painted.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 11-28-2017

Nice, I didn’t know the term “speed cushion”. Cute! I’m fine with this. I like how it will discourage motorists from going into the bike lane.

High-mast poles are now installed on 401 beteeen 24 and 8. They’re huuuuge! Heading WB, it’s wierd, because they’re on your right as you drive through. It made me realize today just how absolutely massive this project is. They lights indicate the halfway point or the width of the project... and we currently have 6 lanes of traffic alone on the South side.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 04:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 03:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I will assume the bike lanes are not the issue of high speeds, and therefore the bike lanes will be exempted from the actual speed humps.  

I have no doubt cars will cut into the bike lane to save 1/2 of their alignment .... That's not good for bike safety.

Coke

Lol, don't make assumptions about staff/contractors doing logical things WRT bike lanes.

Your foreshadowing is uncanny....

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Rainrider22 - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 02:21 PM)Canard Wrote: Nice, I didn’t know the term “speed cushion”. Cute! I’m fine with this. I like how it will discourage motorists from going into the bike lane.

High-mast poles are now installed on 401 beteeen 24 and 8. They’re huuuuge! Heading WB, it’s wierd, because they’re on your right as you drive through. It made me realize today just how absolutely massive this project is. They lights indicate the halfway point or the width of the project... and we currently have 6 lanes of traffic alone on the South side.

and they are functional now,  they were on last night..

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 03:31 PM)Canard Wrote: I’ll take a video sometime of what people do at the railway crossing on Speedsville just North of Eagle. You won’t believe it!

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. 

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 02:21 PM)Canard Wrote: Nice, I didn’t know the term “speed cushion”. 

It's just a plain old "speed hump". Smile

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 02:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: God damnit. How complicated is this.  Can we do nothing right.

Even if what they say was true the pavement markings are wrong.   The bike lane isn't even painted.

Flexible bollards beside the bike lane would have made more sense. This is just stupid.

I get that the bike lane should be painted, but those arrows are the proper way for speed humps/cushions. Which is the opposite of how shark teeth are painted. Not confusing at all. /s

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 02:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: God damnit. How complicated is this.  Can we do nothing right.

Even if what they say was true the pavement markings are wrong.   The bike lane isn't even painted.

According to the tweet, the photo illustrates the centre island and its flex stakes, it does not say that the complete road layout is identical.

You could possibly ask them about the details of the bike lane configuration at the speed humps?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Pheidippides - 11-28-2017

From now on, whenever I go over that arrow in the bike lane I'm going to imagine it is a speed boosting arrow from F-Zero instead of a speed cushion.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 11-28-2017

YAAAAAAS!

[Image: wMJul7.gif]