Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 02:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 01:52 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The end result however, is that there is that the road is getting less safe for cyclists

If the cars end up driving slower, I should think that would be an improvement for cyclist safety. Subject to the specific implementation of speed bumps/humps, of course.

I haven't seen the speed bump implementation, I was actually referring to the island/bike lane obstruction situation that is there currently.  Cars are probably traveling somewhat slower, but mostly they are simply swerving in and out of the bike lanes.  In addition going downhill at 40-50 km/h means I don't particularly want to bump up over the curb, which means taking the lane instead of using the bike lane.

So yes, slower is better, but other parts are worse.  It is honestly nerve wracking riding up the hill in the bike lanes beside the traffic islands listening to cars coming up the hill behind you, wondering which ones are going to slow down and be careful, and which aren't.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 11-27-2017

Highway 8 on-ramp to 401 EB is reconfigured!

The loss of the right lane now happens after the left lane touches 401. In other words, instead of:

2/2 > 2/1 > 3 Lanes, we now have,
2/2 > 4 > 3 Lanes.

(Remember, 401 EB goes to 2 Lanes just after Shantz Hill/King St)

This will only make things better short-term if everyone coming down the flyover in the left lane immediately moves left into the right 401 through-lane.

There was no backup at all at 7am.

401 WB took me >30 minutes at 12:30 heading WB between Franklin and 8, though. There was some kind of congestion beyond the flyover I couldn’t see. I can’t imagine what it was, other than an accident?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 11-27-2017

I will assume the bike lanes are not the issue of high speeds, and therefore the bike lanes will be exempted from the actual speed humps.

I have no doubt cars will cut into the bike lane to save 1/2 of their alignment .... That's not good for bike safety.

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 11-27-2017

I’ll take a video sometime of what people do at the railway crossing on Speedsville just North of Eagle. You won’t believe it!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 03:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I will assume the bike lanes are not the issue of high speeds, and therefore the bike lanes will be exempted from the actual speed humps.  

I have no doubt cars will cut into the bike lane to save 1/2 of their alignment .... That's not good for bike safety.

Coke

Lol, don't make assumptions about staff/contractors doing logical things WRT bike lanes.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - mpd618 - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 08:40 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Sometimes good things trickle down. If another street where street calming would be justified in the real world, but not by the city's policies, can point to Glasgow and say that exceptions are made, that's a positive, I think.

Someone's going to have to do a lot of lobbying to get that exception, and therein lies the issue. People in less posh parts of town don't have the ease of influencing politicians and staff to get their way despite policy.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 09:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 08:40 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Sometimes good things trickle down. If another street where street calming would be justified in the real world, but not by the city's policies, can point to Glasgow and say that exceptions are made, that's a positive, I think.

Someone's going to have to do a lot of lobbying to get that exception, and therein lies the issue. People in less posh parts of town don't have the ease of influencing politicians and staff to get their way despite policy.

Oh, I think they do.  It's not just one or two projects that have been derailed (like LRT phase 2) due to neighbourhood opposition.  (Notice I didn't say "N...Y"!)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 10:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 09:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Someone's going to have to do a lot of lobbying to get that exception, and therein lies the issue. People in less posh parts of town don't have the ease of influencing politicians and staff to get their way despite policy.

Oh, I think they do.  It's not just one or two projects that have been derailed (like LRT phase 2) due to neighbourhood opposition.  (Notice I didn't say "N...Y"!)

Nobody said they have no ability to influence, but they absolutely have less ability.

Wealthier people are more invested in their location, have more time to spend on issues, and have more money to hire outside help, and often also have better understanding of the system (for all of the above reasons).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 11-28-2017

And are usually better connected with the decision makers.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - chutten - 11-28-2017

And have the free time to attend consultations and work the phones.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 03:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I will assume the bike lanes are not the issue of high speeds, and therefore the bike lanes will be exempted from the actual speed humps.  

Coke

No, apparently staff/contractor felt that speeding cyclists in the bike lane is in fact the real danger, and the speed bump is primarily within the bike lane:

What are the people thinking who build this stuff?!  Seriously.  It makes me so depressed.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 11-28-2017

I have never seen anything like that. Is there a logical way to explain that? I can't think of anything, although it would encourage cars to stay in their lane rather than nipping into the bike lane to avoid a speed bump.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - JoeKW - 11-28-2017

Maybe it will encourage drivers to not drive into the bike lane to avoid the bump.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 11-28-2017

Look how complicated things can get. The simple thing is to just separate the bike lane from the car lane.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 11-28-2017

Uh, was there a problem with bikes speeding (over 40km/h) on Glasgow? I have serious doubts.
This seems designed to hurt people on bikes.