Waterloo Region Connected
General Retail News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Retail (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: General Retail News (/showthread.php?tid=21)

RE: General Retail News - GtwoK - 06-27-2019

I figure it's intentional, but don't know the reason. I mean, the owner of the Yeti was AT the market, just hanging out having a beer with everyone. Possible he's just doing it for fun, and not to jump at every business opportunity ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE: General Retail News - kitborn - 06-28-2019

Wednesday Market.

RE: General Retail News - Chris - 07-15-2019

I went to Dutchies on Bruce St yesterday to grab some produce and they were closed with no product on the shelves. Looks like it didn't last for them. Too bad, I liked shopping there.

RE: General Retail News - TMKM94 - 07-16-2019

(07-15-2019, 09:31 AM)Chris Wrote: I went to Dutchies on Bruce St yesterday to grab some produce and they were closed with no product on the shelves. Looks like it didn't last for them. Too bad, I liked shopping there.
Hopefully they were just Cleaning shelves or something? According to there Facebook page they are still Open at both locations. They posted this an hour ago. 
https://www.facebook.com/172053982883191/posts/2370213973067170/

RE: General Retail News - MidTowner - 07-16-2019

It looks like J&P grocery is unfortunately closing. I personally only made a few attempts to shop there last year. I liked what they were trying to do, but felt it was too expensive.

RE: General Retail News - danbrotherston - 07-16-2019

(07-16-2019, 11:03 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It looks like J&P grocery is unfortunately closing. I personally only made a few attempts to shop there last year. I liked what they were trying to do, but felt it was too expensive.

It was pretty expensive, and the convenience store in outside my building was often closer and cheaper.  I did shop there from time to time though...

Rather disappointing for the community to be sure.

RE: General Retail News - Spokes - 07-16-2019

Definitely sad news

RE: General Retail News - embe - 07-17-2019

(07-15-2019, 09:31 AM)Chris Wrote: I went to Dutchies on Bruce St yesterday to grab some produce and they were closed with no product on the shelves. Looks like it didn't last for them. Too bad, I liked shopping there.
They are closed on Sundays.

I found the selection/pricing/location is good although i have heard grumbling about line-ups at the meat counter and checkouts

RE: General Retail News - Chris - 07-17-2019

(07-17-2019, 08:13 AM)embe Wrote:
They are closed on Sundays.

I found the selection/pricing/location is good although i have heard grumbling about line-ups at the meat counter and checkouts

When they close on Sundays they really close. Nothing on any shelves and all the display crates are stacked around the checkout so you can't even enter the area.

RE: General Retail News - embe - 07-17-2019

(07-17-2019, 08:44 AM)Chris Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 08:13 AM)embe Wrote: They are closed on Sundays.

When they close on Sundays they really close. Nothing on any shelves and all the display crates are stacked around the checkout so you can't even enter the area.

Might have something to do with other businesses under the same roof being open?  I don't know.  It's a bit of an open concept building.  I was surprised the first time I found Dutchies doors closed when I went as well.

RE: General Retail News - panamaniac - 07-20-2019

I think the experiment with Kitchener Wednesday markets is now done. Is there any sense of whether "the powers" consider it to have been a successful exercise?

RE: General Retail News - plam - 07-20-2019

(07-20-2019, 10:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I think the experiment with Kitchener Wednesday markets is now done.  Is there any sense of whether "the powers" consider it to have been a successful exercise?

I don't know anything about what the people who run the market think, but I went twice and saw a bunch of surveys from the market to the vendors about their experience. Felt like there was a good amount of traffic to me.

RE: General Retail News - tomh009 - 07-20-2019

(07-16-2019, 11:21 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 11:03 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It looks like J&P grocery is unfortunately closing. I personally only made a few attempts to shop there last year. I liked what they were trying to do, but felt it was too expensive.

It was pretty expensive, and the convenience store in outside my building was often closer and cheaper.  I did shop there from time to time though...

It's unfortunate, for sure.

But J&P never lived up to (at least our expectations): we were expecting, or hoping for, an urban-format grocery store. What J&P had was a very limited selection of relatively expensive niche items, more so than Vincenzo's. There were a limited number of shelves, and not many choices on those shelves, either. No "normal" milk and eggs, for example, and very few fruits and vegetables. We found more options at SDM, Legacy Greens and New City, so unfortunately we rarely shopped at J&P, as much as we had been waiting for their opening.

My understanding was that the business had been running on the strength of the lunchtime take-out/catering business. I wonder whether it's this business that lost a big customer, triggering the closure of the store.

Maybe our expectations were not realistic or unreasonable. But I'm still hoping for that urban-format supermarket somewhere in DTK. However, at least now we have the additional option of taking the LRT to Valu-Mart in Waterloo.

RE: General Retail News - jamincan - 07-21-2019

Or Central Fresh!

RE: General Retail News - danbrotherston - 07-21-2019

(07-20-2019, 10:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 11:21 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It was pretty expensive, and the convenience store in outside my building was often closer and cheaper.  I did shop there from time to time though...

It's unfortunate, for sure.

But J&P never lived up to (at least our expectations): we were expecting, or hoping for, an urban-format grocery store. What J&P had was a very limited selection of relatively expensive niche items, more so than Vincenzo's. There were a limited number of shelves, and not many choices on those shelves, either. No "normal" milk and eggs, for example, and very few fruits and vegetables. We found more options at SDM, Legacy Greens and New City, so unfortunately we rarely shopped at J&P, as much as we had been waiting for their opening.

My understanding was that the business had been running on the strength of the lunchtime take-out/catering business. I wonder whether it's this business that lost a big customer, triggering the closure of the store.

Maybe our expectations were not realistic or unreasonable. But I'm still hoping for that urban-format supermarket somewhere in DTK. However, at least now we have the additional option of taking the LRT to Valu-Mart in Waterloo.

We didn't shop there all that often, they did have a few items that I went to get routinely. Their lack of fresh options they suggested was due to their limited volume. I think the location was somewhat of an obstacle, it took me more than one try to even find the first time.

That being said, we still don't know why they closed. While I don't think they were a runaway success, I do get the sense there was a little more to it than that.