Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 01:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 10:46 AM)plam Wrote: Muya on Highland has slightly better reviews on Google Maps, but we sort of liked East Africa Cafe more. I hope they have a new location.

Muya is good, but it's Ethiopian. Was EAC Ethiopian as well? I had assumed Kenya/Tanzania, but that may have been a poor assumption.

This should be in the restaurants thread, right? EAC had food that I recognized as Ethiopian, although I've never had food from Kenya or Tanzania.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-03-2018

Is Northern Thai about to close? I recall the building was for sale earlier, and now there is a renovation building permit issued for the building:

Quote:Permit is for interior alterations to an existing restaurant to add a new shawarma station including new hood and fryer

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - robdrimmie - 04-03-2018

A user in another forum said: "EAC update: decided to call Afework (the owner) and he says they're just putting in new windows and such. They'll be open later this week. He's also looking at taking over the other space to open an East African grocery store. So, good news!"

I don't know who this person is any more than I know who most of you are, which is to say generally reliable members of the local community. So it could be BS, and this is all internet rumour-mongering, but I have fairly high confidence.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 04-06-2018

(04-03-2018, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is Northern Thai about to close? I recall the building was for sale earlier, and now there is a renovation building permit issued for the building:

Quote:Permit is for interior alterations to an existing restaurant to add a new shawarma station including new hood and fryer

I'll be heartbroken if this is the case.  Please someone say it's not so

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-12-2018

I see that Langdon Hall has been ranked #5 on this year's list of the 100 best restaurants in Canada.  Unfortunately, it is the only restaurant in the Region to make the list.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - EdM - 04-12-2018

DTK San Francisco Panini has closed; there's a bailiff notice in the window that the locks have been changed.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 10:55 AM)EdM Wrote: DTK San Francisco Panini has closed; there's a bailiff notice in the window that the locks have been changed.

Well, they really didn't last very long. I was just thinking yesterday that they might need to adapt to reduce overlap with La Cucina. But it appears that this is no longer an issue.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - neonjoe - 04-12-2018

On the top 50 bars in Canada, Arabella Park came in at #46, the only local entry.
This was from the same site that lists the top 100 restaurants in Canada.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-12-2018

Mark's Caribbean Kitchen & Seafood now open, across the street from Rainbow Caribbean Café (the old Amana Express location).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 04-17-2018

Is The Berlin renovating, or closed?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-17-2018

(04-17-2018, 08:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Is The Berlin renovating, or closed?

Nothing on their website or Facebook page to indicate that they are not open.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 04-17-2018

Looked in the front window last night and it looked like a LOT was happening in there. Maybe they were doing things on their closed day, but it looked pretty intense otherwise.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-18-2018

(04-17-2018, 11:54 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Looked in the front window last night and it looked like a LOT was happening in there. Maybe they were doing things on their closed day, but it looked pretty intense otherwise.

They must have done them intensely as they were open for business last night. Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tvot - 05-01-2018

not sure if this was mentioned but it looks like Empress Of India has moved to the former Dragon Court location next to King Street Trio. Not open yet as of a few days ago.

closed a number of weeks ago: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=7&pid=50766#pid50766

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 05-01-2018

That's a little bit closer, but we really need a decent Indian restaurant in DTK ...