Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 08-25-2016

(08-25-2016, 03:56 PM)bpoland Wrote: Belmont Village needs a pub. Will be interesting to see how the catalyst development around the corner changes things, but right now it's pretty dead after about 7 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/arabellaparkbar/

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bpoland - 08-26-2016

Thanks, yeah I had seen a liquor license application there a while back but nothing happened for months so I was starting to wonder. Do you know when they will be opening?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 09-04-2016

Nando's is coming soon to Fairway Road, Kitchener. How cheeky!  Tongue

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Canard - 09-17-2016

(08-25-2016, 03:15 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Pioneer BBQ was sold and bought awhile back and they had a slew of serious health code violations. I've also heard that the building is now structurally unsound.
Very unfortunate that a local place which such history was left to go to pot by indifferent ownership who didn't see fit to abide by health regulations.

We were hoping to have dinner here tonight with some out-of-town friends and discovered it as all boarded up with two closure notices on it - one for being structurally unsound, and the second for being closed for health reasons. Sad Very saddened to see this.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - DHLawrence - 09-17-2016

Something like that doesn't happen fast. They were probably already in decline and the owners sold because it was too much for them.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Elmira Guy - 09-17-2016

I don't think the business was declining with regards to sales. While I was only in there about 6 times a year (but for many years as it's been a generational thing in my family), it was busy every time I've been there.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 09-18-2016

Same here, it's always been busy when I went.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 09-18-2016

Maybe busy, but it appears that the owners had little interest in putting money into it, to secure its long-term survival.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Pheidippides - 09-19-2016

There is a sign up in the old Watami space for "The Captain's Boil" which seems to be chain out of T-O described by blogto.com as, "This no-frills eatery serves up create-your-own boiled seafood combinations and offers neither cutlery or plates - you have to eat everything with your hands."

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - goggolor - 09-20-2016

Two things that I saw on social media yesterday...

1) Honey Bakeshop is relocating from Uptown Waterloo and moving to downtown Kitchener, rebranding as Unity Bakery. Last day in Uptown is November 30.

2) There's a place called the Hungry Ninja now open in Uptown (as of today?) at 26 Regina St N. Apparently they have a Cambridge location already. A Japanese-ish menu of rice bowls and "sushirittos".

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 09-20-2016

(09-20-2016, 09:54 AM)goggolor Wrote: Two things that I saw on social media yesterday...

1) Honey Bakeshop is relocating from Uptown Waterloo and moving to downtown Kitchener, rebranding as Unity Bakery. Last day in Uptown is November 30.

2) There's a place called the Hungry Ninja now open in Uptown (as of today?) at 26 Regina St N. Apparently they have a Cambridge location already. A Japanese-ish menu of rice bowls and "sushirittos".

Where will the new shop be located?  Uptown rents too high, perhaps?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 09-20-2016

(09-20-2016, 10:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 09:54 AM)goggolor Wrote: Two things that I saw on social media yesterday...

Where will the new shop be located?  Uptown rents too high, perhaps?

Could imagine that rents are high, although it would be kind of silly of landlords to raise rents with the current state of King St.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 09-20-2016

(09-20-2016, 10:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Where will the new shop be located?

Their page says 331 King Street West. That's the building with the pho and the Turkish place- those are both going concerns, so I guess they'll be in one of the spaces around the side of the building? There's a small Latin grocery place there, I think, but I'm not sure if it's still open.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 09-20-2016

(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Where will the new shop be located?

Their page says 331 King Street West. That's the building with the pho and the Turkish place- those are both going concerns, so I guess they'll be in one of the spaces around the side of the building? There's a small Latin grocery place there, I think, but I'm not sure if it's still open.

Wasn't there a juice bar in that building that closed?  That would be an available space.
EDIT: That was GoGo Mart, and indeed it has closed.

America Latina is still very much a going concern (at the back of the building).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 09-20-2016

Oh, I forgot about the Go Go Mart, that was the space I was thinking of, on the side. I guess that would be it.

Uptown's loss is Downtown's gain.