Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-16-2016

(07-16-2016, 12:01 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(07-15-2016, 10:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A friend told me today that Nougat Café/Bakery/Deli will be closing their Queen St S. location and moving into space in the mall at the corner of Courtland Ave and Stirling.   Anybody know if that's accurate?  I'm a bit surprised, although the building has its issues, and wonder what will become of the old place on Queen?

I think that would be a pretty terrible relocation. The site is zoned mixed-use so I can imagine that someone could be consolidating property for a large development there.

I've never seen anything to suggest that the mall is going anywhere.  I suspect any redevelopment would be many years in the future.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Pheidippides - 07-16-2016

The bakery and the service station have been on the market several occasions over the last few years:
https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Other/16829246/600-Queen-Street-S-Kitchener-Ontario-N2G1X1

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Retail/17006577/588-594-QUEEN-Street-S-Kitchener-Ontario-N2G1X1

(07-16-2016, 07:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 12:01 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think that would be a pretty terrible relocation. The site is zoned mixed-use so I can imagine that someone could be consolidating property for a large development there.

I've never seen anything to suggest that the mall is going anywhere.  I suspect any redevelopment would be many years in the future.

To be clear, I meant the mall at Stirling and Courtland, not the properties on Queen St.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 07-16-2016

(07-16-2016, 09:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The bakery and the service station have been on the market several occasions over the last few years:
https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Other/16829246/600-Queen-Street-S-Kitchener-Ontario-N2G1X1

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Retail/17006577/588-594-QUEEN-Street-S-Kitchener-Ontario-N2G1X1

The trouble with trying to sell this kind of property is that the prior service station use will likely dictate substantial soil remediation efforts (and costs).

I've noticed that there are more sidewalk Terrassen  this year on King St than in the past, but that they don't seem to be very busy, although I've not been down enough in the evening to know how Berlin and Rhapsody are doing with their new outdoor spaces.  Off-street locations like Crabby Joes and Bobby O'Briens don't seem to have any problem and I've seen reasonable numbers of people some days outside Gilt.  Can a patio set up along the sidewalk in Downtown King St become a place where crowds want to gather to dine al fresco in the good weather?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - mpd618 - 07-16-2016

(07-16-2016, 07:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 12:01 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think that would be a pretty terrible relocation. The site is zoned mixed-use so I can imagine that someone could be consolidating property for a large development there.

I meant Nougat's existing site as a redevelopment possibility - it's part of the Queen Street South mixed use corridor.

(07-16-2016, 06:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've noticed that there are more sidewalk Terrassen  this year on King St than in the past, but that they don't seem to be very busy, although I've not been down enough in the evening to know how Berlin and Rhapsody are doing with their new outdoor spaces.  Off-street locations like Crabby Joes and Bobby O'Briens don't seem to have any problem and I've seen reasonable numbers of people some days outside Gilt.  Can a patio set up along the sidewalk in Downtown King St become a place where crowds want to gather to dine al fresco in the good weather?

Shhh, it's reapportioning more of the space on King Street for people. That said, I've been surprised by some of the spots which have put up patios, but then been equally surprised that yes, people do sit on the patio at Fat Bastard Burritos or at Union Burger. The patio at B at the museum seems to do well, as do the ones at 271 West and Matter of Taste.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 07-24-2016

A unit at Forest Glen Plaza (the former 'Koppers' bar) is being renovated, an a liquor licence application is in the window which indicates the establishment will be called "Passion Flavour Grill and Bar".

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 07-28-2016

(06-24-2016, 06:34 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The KFC at Highland and Fisher Hallman is finally being renovated (hopefully there still combining Taco bell into the building, Supposedly that's why the Westmount Taco bell location closed a few years ago. 

KFC at Fisher Hallman and Highland is open again there is no Taco bell Sad a staff member at the Weber St. store in Waterloo said that Taco bell's in Canada (or Ontario) are a big money pit and the KFC locations with Tacobell are dragging KFC down there actually supposedly going to remove the Taco bell's in the KFC'S In the next few years.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 07-28-2016

Huh. Well, of the two I distinctly prefer Taco Bell so that kinda sucks.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - notmyfriends - 07-29-2016

This aggression will not stand, man!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jgsz - 07-29-2016

(07-28-2016, 11:41 PM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 06:34 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The KFC at Highland and Fisher Hallman is finally being renovated (hopefully there still combining Taco bell into the building, Supposedly that's why the Westmount Taco bell location closed a few years ago. 

KFC at Fisher Hallman and Highland is open again there is no Taco bell Sad a staff member at the Weber St. store in Waterloo said that Taco bell's in Canada (or Ontario) are a big money pit and the KFC locations with Tacobell are dragging KFC down there actually supposedly going to remove the Taco bell's in the KFC'S In the next few years.

I can understand it being a money pit.  I went to Taco Bell once and that was once too often.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - JoeKW - 07-29-2016

Anyone who goes to that KFC instead of driving the extra 2 minutes to Popeyes is crazy.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - notmyfriends - 07-30-2016

I feel like maybe you guys aren't up at 3am often enough to really appreciate Taco Bell.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - parker1313 - 07-30-2016

Agree with Popeyes over KFC . Had KFC first time in a year last week and its the last time. Between super small chicken, popcorn chicken being awful and coleslaw which years ago was by far the best, its now watered down badly.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-30-2016

Renovations have resumed and a liquour licence application has gone up in the window of the new Pita Pit beside the Dollarama Downtown.