Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-19-2016

(02-19-2016, 10:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 09:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A new build just outside of downtown core?  The only new build in progress I can think of that matches the description at the moment is Midtown Lofts, and there is no retail.  Unless Victoria Commons is finally going to get a condo building completed, with retail space?

Depending on your definition of "new" it could be the old Marbella's space in the Red... or space in the Princess, Cortes or the K2 (are those mixed use)?

But all of those are in Waterloo.  From the wording of his message, I'm assuming Kitchener (edge of downtown, not edge of uptown).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 02-22-2016

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Johnny Rocco's on Fariway road has been closed for at least a few weeks.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - zanate - 02-22-2016

(02-19-2016, 10:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 09:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A new build just outside of downtown core?  The only new build in progress I can think of that matches the description at the moment is Midtown Lofts, and there is no retail.  Unless Victoria Commons is finally going to get a condo building completed, with retail space?

Depending on your definition of "new" it could be the old Marbella's space in the Red... or space in the Princess, Cortes or the K2 (are those mixed use)?

K2 is north of Uptown, and Princess is in Uptown, which I think doesn't fit the location description of "just outside the downtown core".

Back at approval time, Cortes' very limited parking was approved on the basis that the ground floor commercial wasn't going to be restaurant, but office employment.

I don't think of Marbella as new build.

The candidates I can think of:
  • 1 Victoria (which is kind of in the core)
  • 100 Victoria
  • Midtown Lofts (I didn't think their space would be suitable, but...)
  • Victoria Commons (hadn't thought of that one, thanks!)
  • The King/Breithaupt plaza
Any others?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 02-22-2016

(02-22-2016, 04:19 PM)zanate Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 10:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Depending on your definition of "new" it could be the old Marbella's space in the Red... or space in the Princess, Cortes or the K2 (are those mixed use)?

The candidates I can think of:
  • 1 Victoria (which is kind of in the core)
  • 100 Victoria
  • Midtown Lofts (I didn't think their space would be suitable, but...)
  • Victoria Commons (hadn't thought of that one, thanks!)
  • The King/Breithaupt plaza
Any others?

1 Victoria, with Settlement Co. seemingly confirmed, wouldn't be able to host. I would think that 100 Victoria would be too far from construction/opening to be realistic. Midtown might also be too small, and King/Breithaupt too far out.

Victoria Commons would fit both the new-ish timeline, as well as outside the downtown core, and the phrase "neighbourhood bar," as most other locations described are fairly close to established establishments. Or put another way, this is the one farthest from McCabe's/Firkin/impending Abe Erb.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 02-22-2016

I can’t think of any others, but the Midtown Lofts unfortunately not planned to have commercial space. It would be extremely welcome if that had changed, but I haven’t heard of anything.

As a restauranteur, maybe his definition of “new build” is a space previously used for a completely different use and needs significant renovations. That doesn’t seem likely, though…Victoria Commons is a pretty good guess.

I would say that 1 Victoria is definitely in the core, and so will 100 be .

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-22-2016

There's a lease sign up for office space at the corner of Duke and Breithaupt. New building planned? Home for a new Imbibe? It would seem (to me) a huge stretch to describe Victoria Common as "just outside the Downtown core".

It's about a ten minute walk from Victoria and Weber to Victoria Common, I think it can be considered "just outside the Downtown core." Maybe a bit of a stretch, but only a bit.

Which property at Duke and Breithaupt has the sign?

(02-22-2016, 07:06 PM)MidTowner Wrote: It's about a ten minute walk from Victoria and Weber to Victoria Common, I think it can be considered "just outside the Downtown core." Maybe a bit of a stretch, but only a bit.

Which property at Duke and Breithaupt has the sign?

The sign is right on the "north-east" corner, the empty lot beside the old firehouse.

That's a scoop! I haven't heard anything from anyone about that. I like that corner with the firehouse and the building on the southeast corner- now "Station Dental." It would be nice to see something in that vacant lot.

(02-22-2016, 07:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: That's a scoop! I haven't heard anything from anyone about that. I like that corner with the firehouse and the building on the southeast corner- now "Station Dental." It would be nice to see something in that vacant lot.

Well, I'm just assuming that the location of the sign indicates a possible future construction.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-22-2016

(02-22-2016, 07:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 07:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: That's a scoop! I haven't heard anything from anyone about that. I like that corner with the firehouse and the building on the southeast corner- now "Station Dental." It would be nice to see something in that vacant lot.

Well, I'm just assuming that the location of the sign indicates a possible future construction.

I think "possible" is the key word.  The site is zoned M-1, mixed commercial/residential (doesn't allow a restaurant or bar, though).  There are no building permits at this point so the "for lease" sign is pretty speculative.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - rangersfan - 02-22-2016

How about the King's Crossing development? Or is that Downtown proper?

Not downtown proper, but construction there isn't supposed to start until at least 2017.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-22-2016

Yeah, that's a bit of a long timeline for Imbibe.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Section ThirtyOne - 02-23-2016

Someone previously mentioned a pub going into the former TD Bank branch in Belmont Village. Perhaps there?