Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 01-02-2016

(01-02-2016, 03:40 PM)KW65 Wrote:
(01-02-2016, 03:16 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I thought they were open through January 31st...

http://www.waterlot.com/retirement

That is a very genuine and heartfelt letter.  I never experienced the Water Lot but, clearly they were very professional.

All the best in retirement.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 01-02-2016

(01-02-2016, 03:16 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I thought they were open through January 31st...

That's correct according to the retirement letter.  Sorry about that.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - nms - 01-04-2016

From the retirement letter, here are a few places to try. I've been to (the late) Verses but I'll have to check out some of the others. "Some may find it interesting to note the number of well-known eateries founded by prior Waterlot employees including: Verses, Select Catering, Aberfoyle Mill, The Brittany, Café 13, The Gray Rose, Magpie Café, Jake and Humphrey’s, EJ’s, Peck’s Tapp and Grill and The Trails Edge Tavern."

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 01-04-2016

(01-04-2016, 02:28 PM)nms Wrote: From the retirement letter, here are a few places to try.  I've been to (the late) Verses but I'll have to check out some of the others. "Some may find it interesting to note the number of well-known eateries founded by prior Waterlot employees including: Verses, Select Catering, Aberfoyle Mill, The Brittany, Café 13, The Gray Rose, Magpie Café, Jake and Humphrey’s, EJ’s, Peck’s Tapp and Grill and The Trails Edge Tavern."

That was the restaurant at Eby and Market Lane that we were reminiscing about a few weeks ago. 

I've never been to Jake and Humphreys.  I know it had excellent reviews when it opened.  Is it still worth the trip out to New Hamburg?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 01-04-2016

(01-04-2016, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 02:28 PM)nms Wrote: From the retirement letter, here are a few places to try.  I've been to (the late) Verses but I'll have to check out some of the others. "Some may find it interesting to note the number of well-known eateries founded by prior Waterlot employees including: Verses, Select Catering, Aberfoyle Mill, The Brittany, Café 13, The Gray Rose, Magpie Café, Jake and Humphrey’s, EJ’s, Peck’s Tapp and Grill and The Trails Edge Tavern."

That was the restaurant at Eby and Market Lane that we were reminiscing about a few weeks ago. 

And that was run by Elvis Ellison, who now owns Ellison's Bistro on Charles Street.  Caribbean cuisine rather than French, but still outstanding.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 01-05-2016

(01-04-2016, 11:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That was the restaurant at Eby and Market Lane that we were reminiscing about a few weeks ago. 

And that was run by Elvis Ellison, who now owns Ellison's Bistro on Charles Street.  Caribbean cuisine rather than French, but still outstanding.

You know, I keep hearing good things about it and have wanted to try it for ages, but I just never seem to get around to it.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Section ThirtyOne - 01-05-2016

(01-04-2016, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

I've never been to Jake and Humphreys.  I know it had excellent reviews when it opened.  Is it still worth the trip out to New Hamburg?

The Brittany was in New Hamburg.

Britannia was the Elvis Ellison restaurant in Market Village. I know you disagreed with me in the other thread, but it really was Britannia which was in Market Village. Honest!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jgsz - 01-05-2016

(01-05-2016, 02:05 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 02:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That was the restaurant at Eby and Market Lane that we were reminiscing about a few weeks ago. 

The Brittany was in New Hamburg.

Britannia was the Elvis Ellison restaurant in Market Village. I know you disagreed with me in the other thread, but it really was Britannia which was in Market Village. Honest!

You're correct.  Today, Ellison owns and runs Ellison's Bistro on Charles St.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 01-05-2016

Inexplicably, the Market Square McDonalds is still open as of today. Was the closure delayed?

(01-05-2016, 07:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Inexplicably, the Market Square McDonalds is still open as of today. Was the closure delayed?

The initial report was that they would be closing at the end of January.

The paper has come off the windows of the new Vibe Juice place on King St W. The interior looks finished so perhaps opening by next week?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 01-05-2016

(01-05-2016, 07:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 07:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Inexplicably, the Market Square McDonalds is still open as of today. Was the closure delayed?

The initial report was that they would be closing at the end of January.

I could have sworn they said Dec 31. Thanks for clarifying.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Smore - 01-15-2016

The use of past tense makes me sad:

https://twitter.com/ImbibeFoodDrink

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 01-16-2016

Imbibe was OK but the service was very uneven. B is an improvement.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - notmyfriends - 01-16-2016

(01-02-2016, 03:40 PM)KW65 Wrote:

http://www.waterlot.com/retirement

Got out there for the last time tonight.  She will be missed.