Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 11-14-2022

I admit to buying Ethical Bean from Amazon. Vacuum-sealed and with a Ziploc seal so the bean stay fresh. I don't want to be running out for beans every week. Sad

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ac3r - 12-01-2022

To nobody's surprise surely, the Christmas light event downtown Kitchener is cancelled due to safety issues relating to the homeless and addicts in the park. Last year they stole the Jesus statue and a lot of the wiring in hopes of selling it for scrap copper so sadly the Lions Club gave up this year: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/11/30/citing-safety-issues-lions-club-pauses-christmas-display-in-kitcheners-victoria-park.html

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - GtwoK - 12-01-2022

A new Indian restaurant has opened up next to Crafty Ramen downtown! baharindiancuisine.com

[Image: qe4WjYQ.png]

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 12-01-2022

(12-01-2022, 03:14 PM).ppGtwoK Wrote: A new Indian restaurant has opened up next to Crafty Ramen downtown! baharindiancuisine.com

[Image: qe4WjYQ.png]

Nice looking menu, except for Butter Chicken.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 12-01-2022

(12-01-2022, 03:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Nice looking menu, except for Butter Chicken.

What's the butter chichken issue? (I'm personally not a huge fan.) Am looking forward to trying their vankaya fry and methi chaman, though!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 12-01-2022

I think of butter chicken as Indian food for people who don't like Indian food. It seems intended to cater more to British tastes (of the past) than Indian. And it has become ubiquitous.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 12-01-2022

(12-01-2022, 06:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think of butter chicken as Indian food for people who don't like Indian food.  It seems intended to cater more to British tastes (of the past) than Indian.  And it has become ubiquitous.

At least modern tastes, yes (it does still originate in India). Not one of my favourites, either, but fortunately Bahar has much more than that on their menu.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - WLU - 12-02-2022

(12-01-2022, 01:13 PM)ac3r Wrote: To nobody's surprise surely, the Christmas light event downtown Kitchener is cancelled due to safety issues relating to the homeless and addicts in the park. Last year they stole the Jesus statue and a lot of the wiring in hopes of selling it for scrap copper so sadly the Lions Club gave up this year: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/11/30/citing-safety-issues-lions-club-pauses-christmas-display-in-kitcheners-victoria-park.html

Result of poor leadership from municipal "leaders".  Chalk up another point for the homeless.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 12:57 AM)WLU Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 01:13 PM)ac3r Wrote: To nobody's surprise surely, the Christmas light event downtown Kitchener is cancelled due to safety issues relating to the homeless and addicts in the park. Last year they stole the Jesus statue and a lot of the wiring in hopes of selling it for scrap copper so sadly the Lions Club gave up this year: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/11/30/citing-safety-issues-lions-club-pauses-christmas-display-in-kitcheners-victoria-park.html

Result of poor leadership from municipal "leaders".  Chalk up another point for the homeless.

Yes, it is a shame our leadership hasn't found housing for all the people forced to live in the park.

But the light event is not cancelled, only the Lions Club is pulling out. Kitchener will still setup lights in the park. The displays with the trailers and the nativity scene were always...not that interesting to me, and seemed rather low budget compared with Waterloo Park.

But even the Lion's Clubs display is not...gone...just moved to Gaukel St.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - WLU - 12-03-2022

(12-02-2022, 03:41 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 12:57 AM)WLU Wrote: Result of poor leadership from municipal "leaders".  Chalk up another point for the homeless.

Yes, it is a shame our leadership hasn't found housing for all the people forced to live in the park.

But the light event is not cancelled, only the Lions Club is pulling out. Kitchener will still setup lights in the park. The displays with the trailers and the nativity scene were always...not that interesting to me, and seemed rather low budget compared with Waterloo Park.

That's the thing.  They're not "forced" to live in Victoria Park.  They choose to live there.  Our leadership allows them to stay.  Then those who always have something negative to say about some aspect of downtown rightfully point to this example as more proof.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 12:30 AM)WLU Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 03:41 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, it is a shame our leadership hasn't found housing for all the people forced to live in the park.

That's the thing.  They're not "forced" to live in Victoria Park.  They choose to live there.  Our leadership allows them to stay.  Then those who always have something negative to say about some aspect of downtown rightfully point to this example as more proof.

What is their choice? Victoria Park or...where? I mean, sure, they're homeless, they could just go live on some other piece of land. They are forced to live on the street is what I meant.

And you're right, our leadership does force them to stay, by failing to provide meaningful alternatives for them.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Acitta - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 04:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 12:30 AM)WLU Wrote:   That's the thing.  They're not "forced" to live in Victoria Park.  They choose to live there.  Our leadership allows them to stay.  Then those who always have something negative to say about some aspect of downtown rightfully point to this example as more proof.

What is their choice? Victoria Park or...where? I mean, sure, they're homeless, they could just go live on some other piece of land. They are forced to live on the street is what I meant.

And you're right, our leadership does force them to stay, by failing to provide meaningful alternatives for them.

It is not just municipal leadership. The province has abdicated its responsibility. Neither ODSP nor Ontario Works provides enough to rent an apartment in this town or anywhere in the province, for that matter. As long as politicians ignore that, it is only going to get worse. The global south is full of large shantytowns built by people with no other options. That could happen here.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chris - 12-05-2022

This has to be Milton's? Could be one of the Wideman places or even Bent Elbow, but it definitely seems like it's Milton's.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/police-beat/weapons-call-at-licensed-establishment-results-in-arrest-6199515

Weapons call at licensed establishment results in arrest

A man is facing a long list of charges after a weapons call at a licensed establishment in Kitchener.

The incident happened the evening of December 3. The business is located in the area of King Street East and Fairway Road South.

According to police, when a man was asked to leave, he allegedly brandished a knife and made threats. The suspect left and was located a short distance away by officers.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chris - 12-12-2022

Signage up for the Half Moon Cafe and Lounge on King street. A couple doors down from Starbucks (old Rock shop).

In a somewhat related note, signage at the Starbucks indicates a December 28th re-opening.

Edited as I thought it was the old Shakedown location.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - cherrypark - 12-21-2022

(11-13-2022, 01:31 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 03:43 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Since we're on the topic of coffee... does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy whole roasted beans?

I always used to patronize Matter of Taste, but since the pandemic especially I've been buying cheaper beans online. And MoT leaves their beans sitting out, which I thought was not great for quality.

Check out some of the members of KW Coffee Collective, which is a shared coffee roasting space. I know Contrabean (the founder of KWCC owns Contrabean) is local and sells online.

+1 for Contrabean subscription. Great coffee.