Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 11-09-2022

I am not a Starbucks allegiant, but i did like that one. I thought it was a very nice and hip place. I would go to it when downtown. Hopefully they will be open by Kriss Krindle Market

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 11:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am not a Starbucks allegiant, but i did like that one.  I thought it was a very nice and hip place.  I would go to it when downtown. 

If you want good coffee in DTK you should check out the recently opened Lucero Canteen. It's by the Show & Tell folks, but in a really swanky new space.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - dtkvictim - 11-10-2022

(11-09-2022, 11:39 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I did post on Reddit that I thought they'd be back, maybe I posted here too. I was walking by months after they closed and noticed my phone auto connected to Starbucks WiFi, meaning they still had equipment there, but that got shutoff earlier this year. I hadn't seen anything from anyone with insider info, and the WiFi isn't the strongest indicator.

Would love to know what went down internally.

Ha, very well could have been your post, a year is a long time as far as my memory is concerned.

(11-09-2022, 11:44 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 11:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am not a Starbucks allegiant, but i did like that one.  I thought it was a very nice and hip place.  I would go to it when downtown. 

If you want good coffee in DTK you should check out the recently opened Lucero Canteen. It's by the Show & Tell folks, but in a really swanky new space.

I didn't realize they expanded/moved. Is Show & Tell still open? I'm a MoT adherent, but Show & Tell and Cafe Pyrus are both good local alternatives too (not great milk based drinks though). But the big advantage for Starbucks is the ability to order ahead, which mean it still has a place for me. When I'm in a rush early in the morning I could be in and out of Starbucks in 15 seconds, whereas MoT could easily be 5+ minutes. I think Williams (which I am shocked survived the pandemic and city hall construction) also has this option, while being a step above Tim Hortons.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 11-10-2022

Thanks for the heads up.  My daughter and I will be DTK for Remembrance Day.  Sounds like we have our pre drink venue now.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 11-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 01:54 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: I didn't realize they expanded/moved. Is Show & Tell still open?

Currently Show & Tell is closed with a sign on the door saying "find us at Lucero Canteen", but their Instagram says the closure is temporary.

I'm not sure what the long term plan is, it seems weird to have two next door to each other, unless they find a way to differentiate them. That said, branding changes make a difference. Apparently Lucero is doing 3x the volume Show & Tell was, they said that's why they needed to close Lucero on Monday so they could re-stock and catch up with the massive volume.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Votemac - 11-10-2022

(11-09-2022, 11:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am not a Starbucks allegiant, but i did like that one.  I thought it was a very nice and hip place.  I would go to it when downtown. Hopefully they will be open by Kriss Krindle Market

Where exactly was the Starbucks? I don't remember this being DTK!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 11-10-2022

(11-10-2022, 11:19 AM)Votemac Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 11:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am not a Starbucks allegiant, but i did like that one.  I thought it was a very nice and hip place.  I would go to it when downtown. Hopefully they will be open by Kriss Krindle Market

Where exactly was the Starbucks? I don't remember this being DTK!

It was in/will be in the old Public Utilities Commission building, at the corner of King/Gaukel. Right across King St from City Hall. Opened summer 2019, and closed early 2021.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 11-10-2022

Great news. I LOVE that location/building.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 11-10-2022

Looks great! Will plan to check it out soon. Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 11-10-2022

(11-09-2022, 11:09 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 10:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: In a surprise twist, Starbucks is returning to DTK. In the same location they closed in 2021. They have a sign up in the window that they're hiring.

I guess this means they're liking the stats they see about DTK recovering from the pandemic? Anecdotally it's busier than ever.

I recall reading, perhaps even on this forum, that they never actually left the location (i.e. maintaining the lease, equipment, etc) and would likely reopen in the future. I guess whoever wrote that was telling the truth, and Starbucks never intended to leave.

My guess is that the penalties for breaking the lease were very high, so they tried to sublet instead. And since that didn't work out ...

No, Starbucks is rarely the highest-quality coffee. They do have a very consistent product, though, with lots of variety including foods -- and a loyal clientele. Reactivating the PUC building makes me super happy though!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 11-11-2022

(11-10-2022, 09:13 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 11:44 PM)taylortbb Wrote: If you want good coffee in DTK you should check out the recently opened Lucero Canteen. It's by the Show & Tell folks, but in a really swanky new space.

Thanks for the heads up.  My daughter and I will be DTK for Remembrance Day.  Sounds like we have our pre drink venue now.
Ok,  we went in today.  It is rely cool and then people are very nice. Most important,  good coffee.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Joedelay Highhoe - 11-11-2022

Since we're on the topic of coffee... does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy whole roasted beans?

I always used to patronize Matter of Taste, but since the pandemic especially I've been buying cheaper beans online. And MoT leaves their beans sitting out, which I thought was not great for quality.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 03:43 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Since we're on the topic of coffee... does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy whole roasted beans?

I always used to patronize Matter of Taste, but since the pandemic especially I've been buying cheaper beans online. And MoT leaves their beans sitting out, which I thought was not great for quality.

Not local, but supporting a great cause: https://www.awesomecoffeeclub.com

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Acitta - 11-12-2022

Gaslight District restaurant opens its doors
The Foundry Tavern at the Gaslight District in downtown Galt offers customers a dining experience in a space where modern meets the city's industrial past

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 11-13-2022

(11-11-2022, 03:43 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Since we're on the topic of coffee... does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to buy whole roasted beans?

Check out some of the members of KW Coffee Collective, which is a shared coffee roasting space. I know Contrabean (the founder of KWCC owns Contrabean) is local and sells online.