Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 10-09-2021

So I tried Rustic Slice's Thanksgiving dinner pizza this week, and can vouch for its excellence. It's turkey, roast squash, stuffing, and cranberries, topped with mozzarella and drizzled with a cranberry coulis with gravy on the side as a dipping sauce. It might sound a bit strange, but trust me, it works.

Unfortunately I think it's too late to order one. I had to order it in advance, and I think it was only available up to today.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Acitta - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 02:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: So I tried Rustic Slice's Thanksgiving dinner pizza this week, and can vouch for its excellence. It's turkey, roast squash, stuffing, and cranberries, topped with mozzarella and drizzled with a cranberry coulis with gravy on the side as a dipping sauce. It might sound a bit strange, but trust me, it works.

Unfortunately I think it's too late to order one. I had to order it in advance, and I think it was only available up to today.
I popped in there once maybe 2 years ago while biking in the area. The slices they had on offer were totally unappealing. Maybe they have improved since then but they are too far from downtown to bother with.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - neonjoe - 10-11-2021

Yeah their slices are just geared towards Huron Heights Students at a lower price . Their actual gourmet pizzas are really good.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Acitta - 10-11-2021

(10-11-2021, 05:21 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Yeah their slices are just geared towards Huron Heights Students at a lower price . Their actual gourmet pizzas are really good.
Well, I expect a gourmet pizza shop to sell gourmet slices. I don't want a whole pizza when I am out on my bike (or even ever.)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 10-25-2021

There's signs up for a couple of new spots in DTK. I was pretty worried about the pandemic killing all the restaurants in DTK, but they seem to have done alright and I'm glad to see new ones opening. I feel like we're seeing a significant filling-in of DTK retail units (a lot from weed shops, but not all).

Duke Food Block:

Between Young Condos/Mayfair:

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-26-2021

Island Mix is an interesting one ... I read their sign as "Caribbean (cuisine)" and "West Indian Chinese Cuisine", which sounded interesting to me. However, it seems like it's mostly standard Chinese (more Canadian-style Chinese than fully authentic) with some Caribbean dishes also available.

Still, it's good as there are no Chinese restaurants in downtown at the moment.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-26-2021

On the downside, Rainbow Caribbean appears to have closed its doors. They had severely cut back the hours during the pandemic and now it seems that they have pulled the plug.

The original owner of Rainbow (nee Caribbean Cove and then Island Jerk) died a few years ago, but his widow and son now have a restaurant in the Bridgeport area:
https://bigjerk.menu/

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 11:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: On the downside, Rainbow Caribbean appears to have closed its doors. They had severely cut back the hours during the pandemic and now it seems that they have pulled the plug.

The original owner of Rainbow  (nee Caribbean Cove and then Island Jerk) died a few years ago, but his widow and son now have a restaurant in the Bridgeport area:
https://bigjerk.menu/

Oh no! I really liked Rainbow Caribbean. Their Jamaican Patties were pretty good (though the place in the market was better).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 11-11-2021

(11-10-2021, 11:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 08:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Never gonna happen. I'm friends with the owner, and have made this point, but the current business is profitable and they don't want to risk anything. Worst fear is going bigger causing a drop in quality, and a decline of the business. Same reason they don't do delivery apps (temporary pandemic exception aside).

Right now, like all restaurants, they're mostly focused on survival. But any future expansion will be additional locations, like Jinzakaya was, or a different format in DTK (i.e. not a sushi restaurant).

I love hanging out in izakayas in Japan. And I live a 10-minute walk away from Kinkaku. And yet I've only been there maybe two or three times. I would love to see something closer to a traditional izakaya (really, a pub) in Kitchener, where you can hang out a longer time, consume alcoholic beverages and order some small plates of high-quality food from time to time.

AYCE flies in the face of that with large quantities of food consumed in a short amount of time. But admittedly it may be much more profitable.

Anyway, this doesn't have anything to do with Charlie West ...

Moving to the restaurants thread...

We talked about this before, right? They used to be an actual izakaya but decided they wanted to actually have customers and continue operating? I did go there early on and it was pretty good.

I really hate the AYCE sushi trend in Ontario though. Yet I fear it's hard to resist.

To continue on that topic, there was a wild NY Times Magazine piece about sushi in the US: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/05/magazine/sushi-us.html. The majority of non-salmon non-tuna comes essentially from a branch of a cult. On the other hand, in NZ, it is almost impossible to get non-salmon sushi (kind of sucks). Now I understand more why that is the case.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 11-11-2021

This is just crazy!

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/police-investigating-video-of-incident-at-kitchener-restaurant-1.5662211

The video is really disturbing. I'm not sure why people think they can physically assault people.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jeffster - 11-11-2021

(11-11-2021, 10:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is just crazy!

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/police-investigating-video-of-incident-at-kitchener-restaurant-1.5662211

The video is really disturbing. I'm not sure why people think they can physically assault people.

1) Lack of AODA training.
2) Lack of understanding how those with disabilities react in stressful situations.
3) Drinking on the job (most likely they were drinking profits).
4) Related to 1), but, simply not wanting a dog in the establishment.

Police are involved. I am sure there will be a lawsuit. Bad publicity....it's already made it to the news in the USA.

If you go to Google Reviews of Miltons, you will see thousands of 1* ratings. Their reputation has been decimated.

CTV tried to talk to the owners of Miltons, which as you know, they declined.

As a parent with a child with a disability, I can guarantee I will never give them my business. Not for fear that something might happen to my kid, but because of their treatment of the disabled (autistic) individual. The victims reaction to what was happening, as well as the presence of a service dog, should have been a clue enough.

What I think really happened: those involved (apparently the owners of Miltons) were drunk a f*** -- and they watched this person walk in with a dog and who clearly was acting "different" than other patrons. He was an easy target to bully. And that's what happened. Drunk bullies.

Now their business is going to have issues. They have successfully made international news. They successfully got their website suspended.

Now, if alcohol wasn't involved, then these two people are the most ignorant dudes in the tri-city area.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 11-11-2021

I saw it on Facebook last night. Just brutal.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 11-12-2021

I have been there before and enjoyed it. Although we don't have all the facts, one thing is for sure, this was a horrible way to deal with the situation. The language alone with other customers let alone their inappropriate use of force. I will never go to this business again. Even if another restaurant opened in that building I wouldn't go for fear these clowns have money in it.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chris - 11-12-2021

(11-12-2021, 09:27 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I have been there before and enjoyed it.  Although we don't have all the facts, one thing is for sure, this was a horrible way to deal with the situation. The language alone with other customers let alone their inappropriate use of force.  I will never go to this business again. Even if another restaurant opened in that building I wouldn't go for fear these clowns have money in it.

I don't know, that video is pretty bad. The dog could have bit the server and shit on someone's meal and that still wouldn't be an appropriate reaction.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jeffster - 11-12-2021

(11-12-2021, 09:27 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I have been there before and enjoyed it.  Although we don't have all the facts, one thing is for sure, this was a horrible way to deal with the situation. The language alone with other customers let alone their inappropriate use of force.  I will never go to this business again. Even if another restaurant opened in that building I wouldn't go for fear these clowns have money in it.

I was speaking to some people ‘in the know’ and apparently the owner(s) have drinking issues. It’s not uncommon to see at least one at the bar drunk. So my money is that these two clowns were drunk when they assaulted the customer.

Apparently staff turnover is an issue as well. Eventually bad ownership gets what it deserves, as this seems to be the case.

If you try going to their website, it has been suspended. Unknown if this is in relation to the incident.