Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-01-2021

Give me Matter of Taste, every time.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 03:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: It's a shame, because they really had a nice location there. I had heard that Starbucks was downsizing generally in Canada.

That is really a big downside of this. Yes, some more people lost their jobs, as well. But it was a very nicely done use of the public utilities building. I do hope someone else picks up on it and picks up the space.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KingandWeber - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 04:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Give me Matter of Taste, every time.

Hear, hear! With that being said, Starbucks had longer hours than MOT so I appreciated the option of having a decent "after hours" coffee shop. I think it's still a loss to Downtown and a short-sighted move by Starbucks.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - dtkvictim - 02-01-2021

https://globalnews.ca/news/7571716/starbucks-300-store-closures/

Quote:The restructuring includes adding new drive thru locations, the expansion of delivery and a pilot of curbside pick-up only coffee shops.

Expanding drive-thru locations while closing stores like this one is a very disappointing sign.

(02-01-2021, 04:21 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 04:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Give me Matter of Taste, every time.

Hear, hear! With that being said, Starbucks had longer hours than MOT so I appreciated the option of having a decent "after hours" coffee shop. I think it's still a loss to Downtown and a short-sighted move by Starbucks.

I've exclusively been buying beans and the occasional coffee from MoT this year, because if any downtown coffee shop stays around I want it to be MoT. But during regular times, Starbucks was great to have because of the long hours and the convenience of the app. I occasionally found myself needing a coffee on the way to work when only Starbucks was open, or found myself in a rush and knew that if I ordered before leaving I could be in and out of Starbucks in 20 seconds.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bgb_ca - 02-01-2021

According to CTV (https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/starbucks-in-downtown-kitchener-closes-permanently-after-opening-in-2019-1.5291055) The one in Fairview Park Mall is also a casualty of this.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 02-01-2021

There's a Starbucks kiosk in the Stanley Park Zehrs that opened shortly before the pandemic. I can't comprehend how it's still stayed open through all this.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 06:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: There's a Starbucks kiosk in the Stanley Park Zehrs that opened shortly before the pandemic. I can't comprehend how it's still stayed open through all this.

A kiosk will have much lower overhead costs, though.

Looking at the map, you can really see the suburban (drive-through?) focus for the remaining stores.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - GarthDanlor - 02-02-2021

(02-01-2021, 05:37 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: According to CTV (https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/starbucks-in-downtown-kitchener-closes-permanently-after-opening-in-2019-1.5291055) The one in Fairview Park Mall is also a casualty of this.
The Starbucks at Fairway Indigo also seems to be closed.  Not sure if this is permanent or just because Indigo is closed to foot traffic?  With 3 locations close together on Fairway, I thought they were over represented in that area even in better times.

Is a shame about the Downtown location.  I  often go as a destination on walks, mostly because of the ease of ordering from the app. Plenty other options though...I like Cafe Pyrrhus and Matter of Taste too.  Don't mind Nova Era's coffee and americanos either and that is closer for me.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 02-03-2021

(02-01-2021, 01:41 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 11:14 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The DTK Starbucks has closed, no longer on the Starbucks app. According to Reddit it's permanent.

Pre-pandemic it always seemed quite busy, but I can't imagine it's been doing well recently.

well, to "make up" for it, a Timmies is opening at King/Queen according to a sign I saw yesterday when I stopped by Coffee Culture to grab a coffee to go.
I wonder if Tim Hortons is still Opening that location or if it's cancelled? It's been over a Year since it was announced. That seems like a very long Time for an existing space to be turned into a Tim's even with the Pandemic slowing things down.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 08:36 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:41 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: well, to "make up" for it, a Timmies is opening at King/Queen according to a sign I saw yesterday when I stopped by Coffee Culture to grab a coffee to go.

I wonder if Tim Hortons is still Opening that location or if it's cancelled? It's been over a Year since it was announced. That seems like a very long Time for an existing space to be turned into a Tim's even with the Pandemic slowing things down.

The construction is still continuing, and the signs are still up. It's a pretty major renovation.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 02-04-2021

(02-03-2021, 11:02 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:36 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I wonder if Tim Hortons is still Opening that location or if it's cancelled? It's been over a Year since it was announced. That seems like a very long Time for an existing space to be turned into a Tim's even with the Pandemic slowing things down.

The construction is still continuing, and the signs are still up. It's a pretty major renovation.
That's good to know. I haven't been exploring in Downtown for quite awhile and haven't heard anything about an opening so I was starting to wonder.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Coke6pk - 02-04-2021

(02-03-2021, 08:36 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I wonder if Tim Hortons is still Opening that location or if it's cancelled? It's been over a Year since it was announced. That seems like a very long Time for an existing space to be turned into a Tim's even with the Pandemic slowing things down.

The Tim's @ Frederick Mall had a coming soon sign for a couple of years before construction began.... and there was no pandemic then.

Coke

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 03-26-2021

Does anyone know if/when the CE Food Experience outdoor ordering window will re-open, and also if/when the outdoor market at the Cafe Pyrus outpost will resume?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chris - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 08:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Does anyone know if/when the CE Food Experience outdoor ordering window will re-open, and also if/when the outdoor market at the Cafe Pyrus outpost will resume?

Cafe Pyrus started the market back up last week. Gingrich farm will be back tomorrow.

Cafe Pyrus Wrote:Plus the Gingerich Organic Farm is back for cash sales of fresh organic greens, wraps and root vegetables.

See you Saturday!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 03-27-2021

(03-26-2021, 09:40 PM)Chris Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 08:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Does anyone know if/when the CE Food Experience outdoor ordering window will re-open, and also if/when the outdoor market at the Cafe Pyrus outpost will resume?

Cafe Pyrus started the market back up last week. Gingrich farm will be back tomorrow.

Cafe Pyrus Wrote:Plus the Gingerich Organic Farm is back for cash sales of fresh organic greens, wraps and root vegetables.

See you Saturday!

Woot!  Thanks so much.

Now I just have to figure how I want to get there while my bike is in the shop lol.