Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 11-26-2020

This reminds me - there were plans for a restaurant/wine bar at the old Washburn's storefront on King St W. Is that toast or has it just been covid-postponed?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - dtkvictim - 11-26-2020

Does "Convenience" have some sort of relationship to wine or alcohol that I'm not familiar with? Seems like an odd name. Either way, I hope the typo on their application doesn't cause them trouble Big Grin

(11-26-2020, 09:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems like a nice step up for the location.  How big is that storefront - I've often thought that K-W (among others) could use a few "hole in the wall"-type drinking establishments, of the sort you find in some other parts of the world.

We need more "hole in the wall"s of every kind. Unfortunately, I think high rents make those kinds of tiny businesses impractical. Some of the best food I've had in my life have been in places I could barely fit in.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 10:56 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 09:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems like a nice step up for the location.  How big is that storefront - I've often thought that K-W (among others) could use a few "hole in the wall"-type drinking establishments, of the sort you find in some other parts of the world.

We need more "hole in the wall"s of every kind. Unfortunately, I think high rents make those kinds of tiny businesses impractical. Some of the best food I've had in my life have been in places I could barely fit in.

I think rents quickly get more affordable as you move a block or two away from King St. Whether Duke Food Block or this block on Queen St, the rents will be far lower than in the new-build construction right on King St W.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 11-27-2020

(11-26-2020, 08:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Goldie's Convenience (wine bar) planning to open at 98 Queen St S, likely early in the new year. This may yet be the first new opening in this set of commercial units post-renovation. Canadian Cannabis Bouteek is promoting their new shop at 90 Queen St S (the Pearl Laundry building) but they also don't have a permit yet -- and the AGCO moves very, very slowly. Several other units have interior renos ongoing.
The AGCO moves so slow they cant even spell the name of the business on the application notice properly !!!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 11-27-2020

(11-26-2020, 10:56 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Does "Convenience" have some sort of relationship to wine or alcohol that I'm not familiar with? Seems like an odd name. Either way, I hope the typo on their application doesn't cause them trouble Big Grin

It kind of reminds me how sodas had their genesis in pharmacies.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - BruceAshe - 11-28-2020

(11-26-2020, 10:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This reminds me - there were plans for a restaurant/wine bar at the old Washburn's storefront on King St W.  Is that toast or has it just been covid-postponed?

Wineology? It still says "Coming Soon" on the window, but a quick check of their Facebook page says it should have opened in February of this year. Also looks like around the same time a location in Windsor was destroyed in a fire. My guess is that between a fire and covid, the plans for Kitchener would have been set back. It is still listed on the website though.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 12-17-2020

Burger's Priest has opened.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jwilliamson - 01-01-2021

There's signage up for "Roosters Fried Chicken" at the old Front Row by the university.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 01-27-2021

Big Fat Pita is transmogrifying.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - dtkvictim - 01-27-2021

Did you take that photo a long time ago? They have been reopen for a week or two (I have lost all sense of time), the interior is all renovated and the menu is slightly different. I tried something new when I went, so I'm not sure if the menu items they kept have been overhauled too.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 01-27-2021

(01-27-2021, 09:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Did you take that photo a long time ago? They have been reopen for a week or two (I have lost all sense of time), the interior is all renovated and the menu is slightly different. I tried something new when I went, so I'm not sure if the menu items they kept have been overhauled too.

Ha! Sometime in early January. But no one had said anything here so I posted the photo even now.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 02-01-2021

The DTK Starbucks has closed, no longer on the Starbucks app. According to Reddit it's permanent.

Pre-pandemic it always seemed quite busy, but I can't imagine it's been doing well recently.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bgb_ca - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:14 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The DTK Starbucks has closed, no longer on the Starbucks app. According to Reddit it's permanent.

Pre-pandemic it always seemed quite busy, but I can't imagine it's been doing well recently.

well, to "make up" for it, a Timmies is opening at King/Queen according to a sign I saw yesterday when I stopped by Coffee Culture to grab a coffee to go.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:14 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The DTK Starbucks has closed, no longer on the Starbucks app. According to Reddit it's permanent.

Even during the pandemic, there were lots of people walking in Victoria Park with Starbucks cups in hand.

It's kind of ironic as when they first opened, there were people forecasting that lots of independents would close because of the Starbucks -- and in the end it was the Starbucks that did not survive.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 02-01-2021

It's a shame, because they really had a nice location there. I had heard that Starbucks was downsizing generally in Canada.