Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bgb_ca - 05-06-2019

My guess the franchise agreement expired and Holiday inn wanted too much money to renew.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 05-06-2019

(05-06-2019, 04:15 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: My guess the franchise agreement expired and Holiday inn wanted too much money to renew.

Windsor Holiday Inn also rebranded to Sunbridge. But now they are re-rebranding to Four Points. And there is a Sunbridge in Cambridge.

Very confusing.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 05-06-2019

wow for me it looks like an improvement !!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Coke6pk - 05-08-2019

(05-06-2019, 02:15 PM)neonjoe Wrote: I noticed yesterday that the Kitchener Holiday Inn has been re-branded as Sunbridge Hotel. Seems like an independent chain, they do not mention IHG rewards. I thought the Kitchener Hotel was quite up to date and busy as its been Holiday Inn forever.
https://sunbridgehotelkitchener.com/

Noticed the Radisson recently had the name taken down up high on the building... was assuming that would be the first to change names.

Coke

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Coke6pk - 05-08-2019

** Shameless Plug **

Today is McHappy Day. WRC's own Coke6pk will be at the Fairview Rd location working (volunteering) from 4:30 - 6:00. Feel free to come by and help out. [Previous years have assisted our local Children's Safety Village]

Coke

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KingandWeber - 05-15-2019

I'm a bit surprised, but it looks like Coffee Culture in Uptown Waterloo has closed down. The sign has been taken down and there is paper on the windows.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 08:51 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: I'm a bit surprised, but it looks like Coffee Culture in Uptown Waterloo has closed down. The sign has been taken down and there is paper on the windows.

Apart from Starbucks, is there a large coffee shop population in central Waterloo? I didn't think there were that many, but it has been a little bit since I walked that area.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jwilliamson - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 08:51 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: I'm a bit surprised, but it looks like Coffee Culture in Uptown Waterloo has closed down. The sign has been taken down and there is paper on the windows.

Apart from Starbucks, is there a large coffee shop population in central Waterloo? I didn't think there were that many, but it has been a little bit since I walked that area.

Off the top of my head, there's also Aroma, Settlement, DVLB and Brch (and Timmies at Central).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 09:39 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Apart from Starbucks, is there a large coffee shop population in central Waterloo? I didn't think there were that many, but it has been a little bit since I walked that area.

Off the top of my head, there's also Aroma, Settlement, DVLB and Brch (and Timmies at Central).

That doesn't seem like oversaturation yet, especially compared to the number in DTK.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - timio - 05-17-2019

Seven Shores is also up there.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 05-18-2019

(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

It never seemed packed in there though

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 05-18-2019

(04-06-2018, 10:44 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is Northern Thai about to close? I recall the building was for sale earlier, and now there is a renovation building permit issued for the building:

I'll be heartbroken if this is the case.  Please someone say it's not so

The building is indeed sold, but the owners have four years remaining on the lease. And they said that they intend to keep operating the restaurant, whether in the same building or elsewhere.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 05-22-2019

Thanks for the update on that. I genuinely think they're the best in town

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 05-22-2019

(05-22-2019, 07:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for the update on that. I genuinely think they're the best in town

You need to visit Mimo Thai then. It's tucked away in Northdale so it's mostly visited by students, but Mimo's curry is amazing. Other things are good too, but their curry rivals the best in Toronto, and is far above anything else locally.

I live near Northern Thai so I still get their takeout sometimes, especially pad thai, but I think it's clearly #2 in the region.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - timio - 05-22-2019

(05-22-2019, 12:12 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 07:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for the update on that. I genuinely think they're the best in town

You need to visit Mimo Thai then. It's tucked away in Northdale so it's mostly visited by students, but Mimo's curry is amazing. Other things are good too, but their curry rivals the best in Toronto, and is far above anything else locally.

I live near Northern Thai so I still get their takeout sometimes, especially pad thai, but I think it's clearly #2 in the region.

Bangkok Cuisine (Wimpy's plaza) is my favorite Thai place.