Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ookpik - 02-05-2015

(02-03-2015, 10:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: Still waiting for news about Air Canada flying from YKF.

Air Canada adds domestic flights on Rouge carrier [but not from YKF]
Quote:The airline announced Thursday that it will be offering a daily flight between Hamilton and Calgary starting in June, courting customers who would find the Hamilton airport more convenient than Toronto’s Pearson airport. “It’s a shot at WestJet,” said Robert Kokonis, president of AirTrav Inc., an airline consulting firm, noting WestJet currently operates from Hamilton. “And Calgary is WestJet’s hub.”

Air Canada doesn’t currently fly out of the Hamilton airport. In 2008, it ended its regional Jazz flights to Ottawa and Montreal. Kokonis added that Hamilton airport would be attractive to passengers living from Oakville to Waterloo and even into the Niagara region.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 02-05-2015

That's definitely a shot at WestJet out of YKF. If you live anywhere east of Guelph, you'd likely choose Hamilton over Kitchener for convenience.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 02-05-2015

It's moreso a shot at WestJet out of YHM. They fly to Calgary from there, plus a few other destinations (Edmonton, out east, and the States) seasonally. Those living east of Guelph needing to get to Calgary already had the option of flying out of Hamilton.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ookpik - 02-05-2015

So does that bode well or not for AC launching service out of YKF any time soon? The positive argument is that they can take another shot at WS. The negative argument is that they'll want to wait and see if their first shot did enough damage to warrant another volley.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - clasher - 02-05-2015

Depends if the pie is big enough to share between two carriers.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 02-09-2015

Going to Europe in May, and surprisingly enough, the cheapest option was out of YKF (albeit with a connection in ORD). Can't wait to finally fly out of the local airport! Smile

I'd also love to see AC (or someone else) re-start the Kitchener-Ottawa route.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 02-10-2015

Wow, that's somewhat surprising - what's the route/destination?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 02-11-2015

(02-10-2015, 06:11 AM)Canard Wrote: Wow, that's somewhat surprising - what's the route/destination?

YKF - ORD - VCE (Venice)
 Return is
FCO (Rome) - ORD - YKF

We plan on taking the train thru Italy for the time we are there.  Most dates we looked at YKF was cheapest.  A few dates YYZ was cheaper, but by the time you add in 2 weeks of parking plus travel, its not worth it.  Air Transat (direct flights) were the cheapest at YYZ, but the timetables didn't work for our trip, and it was only a few bucks cheaper than my itinerary.  I don't mind the layovers... and will deal with that slight inconvenience, especially considering how convenient RoWIA is!

Now if only YKFGM would announce that [Ottawa][Vegas][Orlando](Pick one or more) flight.... Smile

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 02-11-2015

Orlando (MCO) out of YKF would make me the happiest guy in the region. As much as I love Southwest, I really don't look forward to the drive to BUF each fall when I go down for the Halloween events at the parks.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jerryhung - 02-17-2015

There is a London-EWR-Orlando MCO deal for ~$300 r/t on United
Check Google Flights

so it is possible to find deals originating from YKF/London (YXU?) (or even Hamilton YHM)....

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - nms - 02-17-2015

For those contemplating warmer climes, the airport weather station broke a record yesterday when it recorded -34.1 degrees C at 7:00am.  Not to be outdone, the UW weather station recorded -34.9 degrees C at the same time.  This beat the last local record recorded by the airport from January 16, 1984 of -31.9 degrees C.

The coldest temperature that I could find for Waterloo Region was recorded in Galt by the Ontario Ministry of Environment, January 5, 1904, of -35.6 degrees C.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - greybird - 02-21-2015

(02-17-2015, 10:30 AM)jerryhung Wrote: There is a London-EWR-Orlando MCO deal for ~$300 r/t on United
Check Google Flights

so it is possible to find deals originating from YKF/London (YXU?) (or even Hamilton YHM)....

Too bad London-EWR flights are ending in the near future

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - mbender123 - 03-01-2015

I drove by the airport yesterday afternoon and notice there was a bearskins airplane on the tarmac...have they returned to service Waterloo Region again ? or perhaps just a charter plane use?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-01-2015

(03-01-2015, 11:27 AM)mbender123 Wrote: I drove by the airport yesterday afternoon and notice there was a bearskins airplane on the tarmac...have they returned to service Waterloo Region again ? or perhaps just a charter plane use?

Bearskin does charter service for the school for the blind in Brantford.  They bring the kids in and back home weekly.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 04-01-2015

Region lands new tenant for Millardair hangar
Waterloo Region Record
By Paige Desmond  

BRESLAU — Toronto-based Penmore Holdings Inc. is taking over the remaining 46 years on the massive Millardair hangar lease at the Region of Waterloo International Airport.

Chartright Air Group will relocate its Canadian Augusta Helicopter Service Centre from Toronto's Pearson airport and upcoming helicopter maintenance repair operation to the region.

"There was interest by more than one party," said Rob Horne, commissioner of planning, housing and community services. "It's a vote of confidence in the regional economy … let alone the airport."

It's expected over time up to 40 jobs will come to the region.

Regional councillors voted Wednesday to approve the deal. Millardair owned the hangar but the region owns the land it's built on and had to give the OK for the sale to Penmore Holdings.

Officials said they were not sure how much revenue the new lease, fuelling and landing fees would bring in, but airport general manager Chris Wood said lease fees are about $47,000 more annually than the $19,000 Millardair was paying.

"It will be increased for sure," Wood said. ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5537088-region-lands-new-tenant-for-millardair-hangar/