Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Rainrider22 - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 09:57 AM)Markster Wrote: The one time I took the Bearskin flight, it was a 24 seat plane.
One aisle, 12 rows, 1 seat on each side

Correct. I utilized it a number of times. Loved it. From lannding time to my front door was literally 10 mins. What part of that can you justify for airpoints. Really my time with family after being away is way more important than a few air miles. People seem to value the wrong thins.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 09:57 AM)Markster Wrote: The one time I took the Bearskin flight, it was a 24 seat plane.

And no bathroom!  It was pretty basic, to put it mildly.

(11-07-2016, 10:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

And no bathroom!  It was pretty basic, to put it mildly.

The flight is less than an hour. Basic is all I need

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 10:45 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Correct. I utilized it a number of times. Loved it. From lannding time to my front door was literally 10 mins. What part of that can you justify for airpoints. Really my time with family after being away is way more important than a few air miles. People seem to value the wrong thins.

I agree with you completely. I do know people who opted to take AC from Mississauga, though, either because they didn't want to fly a smaller plane, or just fly Air Canada period. You're right that it's not rational.

Maybe a lot of these people would fly a jet airliner instead, though, if we have one going to Ottawa. Possibly some of them still wouldn't...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 10:45 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

Correct. I utilized it a number of times. Loved it. From lannding time to my front door was literally 10 mins. What part of that can you justify for airpoints. Really my time with family after being away is way more important than a few air miles. People seem to value the wrong thins.

Hmm, I seem to remember a friend showing me a selfie in a tiny little Bearskin plane on his way to Ottawa. Maybe I got confused.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Markster - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 11:15 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Hmm, I seem to remember a friend showing me a selfie in a tiny little Bearskin plane on his way to Ottawa. Maybe I got confused.

Well, I'm certain that Bearskin probably has those kinds of planes in their fleet too!

Aside from "no bathroom" in the 24-seater, I also found it amusing that, of your two "carry on" items, the larger one goes in the nose of the plane. Ha! Considering the flight was only 50 minutes, I managed to survive without.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - kps - 11-07-2016

Canada Jetlines is positioning itself as a low price no-frills carrier (not that the others have any frills left), so I suspect their first concern is not locals, but people willing to drive an hour from Toronto for a cheaper flight, just like some people now drive 2 or 3 to Buffalo. So I'd be surprised to see them fly to places like Ottawa or Montreal unless they end up with a hub there; their target market would just drive or take a bus.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - chutten - 11-07-2016

So what's the email address for suggesting a route?

I too would like a second YYC flight to promote competition on cost. Volume's probably not there, but as an already-established route, WestJet has already taken most of the lumps of driving interest in it.

MCO would be popular for a similar reason, thanks to WJ's pilot (ha!) project.

In the international market I would like a Portland flight as well as (and for the same stated reasons as) a Bay Area stop.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 11-07-2016

MCO would (selfishly) be so awesome for me. I like to go down every year to the theme parks at Halloween and always take Southwest out of Buffalo, but I stress so much at the drive (flying gives me enough anxiety as it is, coupled with border wait time uncertainty (even though we have NEXUS), and I'm a mess). Being able to get down ther from so close to home would be an absolute dream.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 11-07-2016

I have a colleague who's already said she would not take any flight from YKF because of the air miles, so that her personal trips and her daughter's could be more easily accessed. For someone flying a couple times a year, it doesn't make as much sense, but if work pays for the extra time and costs of going to Pearson instead of taking a flight from YKF, and you do this or this kind of flight weekly, then I can see where the motivation comes from.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 12:41 PM)chutten Wrote: So what's the email address for suggesting a route?

I too would like a second YYC flight to promote competition on cost. Volume's probably not there, but as an already-established route, WestJet has already taken most of the lumps of driving interest in it.

MCO would be popular for a similar reason, thanks to WJ's pilot (ha!) project.

In the international market I would like a Portland flight as well as (and for the same stated reasons as) a Bay Area stop.

I was told to contact  dix.lawson@jetlines.ca if I wanted input on routes.  I initially contacted Jim Scott (CEO)  Jim Scott  Jim.Scott@jetlines.ca and I got a response in less than 24 hrs.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - bpoland - 11-07-2016

Jim Scott was on CBC radio this morning. I think he said they would be looking at flights to Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg (not Calgary because of competition), as well as Halifax and US East coast. Didn't hear anything about Montreal or Ottawa. It sounded like they had figured out their routes already but maybe they would still listen to input. He mentioned they were trying to get started next summer.

(11-07-2016, 02:04 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I have a colleague who's already said she would not take any flight from YKF because of the air miles, so that her personal trips and her daughter's could be more easily accessed. For someone flying a couple times a year, it doesn't make as much sense, but if work pays for the extra time and costs of going to Pearson instead of taking a flight from YKF, and you do this or this kind of flight weekly, then I can see where the motivation comes from.

If your work is paying for the trip and you are claiming the air miles. Sorry to say. That is a taxable income that you need to claim to Rev Canada.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 02:38 PM)bpoland Wrote: Jim Scott was on CBC radio this morning.  I think he said they would be looking at flights to Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg (not Calgary because of competition), as well as Halifax and US East coast.  Didn't hear anything about Montreal or Ottawa.  It sounded like they had figured out their routes already but maybe they would still listen to input.  He mentioned they were trying to get started next summer.

(11-07-2016, 08:22 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 02:04 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I have a colleague who's already said she would not take any flight from YKF because of the air miles, so that her personal trips and her daughter's could be more easily accessed. For someone flying a couple times a year, it doesn't make as much sense, but if work pays for the extra time and costs of going to Pearson instead of taking a flight from YKF, and you do this or this kind of flight weekly, then I can see where the motivation comes from.

If your work is paying for the trip and you are claiming the air miles. Sorry to say. That is a taxable income that you need to claim to Rev Canada.

It's the value of the rewards received that is taxable, no?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 02:38 PM)bpoland Wrote: Jim Scott was on CBC radio this morning.  I think he said they would be looking at flights to Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg (not Calgary because of competition), as well as Halifax and US East coast.  Didn't hear anything about Montreal or Ottawa.  It sounded like they had figured out their routes already but maybe they would still listen to input.  He mentioned they were trying to get started next summer.

I think they're really open to public input on their routes.  I'm sure they hear the story from YKF and from Regional officials.  That's to be expected. Hamilton and London officials are doing the same thing.  But if they get a handful of emails from local residents suggesting routes, that would probably be a handful more than they get from other cities.  It could make the difference.  I emailed them because I'd love to see more choices from YKF.