Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 08:24 AM)Canard Wrote: Any service is better, but I have to wonder if it would really make sense to do it.  It takes ~15 minutes to drive to the airport from downtown, and then you'd want to be at the airport a minimum of 20-30 minutes before your flight.  So that's 45 minutes right there... if you were driving, you'd already be in Mississauga.  So overall, best-case you might save 15 minutes of travel time but door-to-door is still over an hour (especially with the "Fun Ferry" at YTZ).

I can't recall the last time I was able to reach downtown T.O. in less than 90 minutes... sometime in the 90s I think.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 03-06-2016

(03-05-2016, 11:29 PM)Smore Wrote:
Quote:Today, March 5, an all-female Porter Airlines crew and 50 excited volunteers and event participants, made the 12-minute flight from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre

Holey cripes! Forget rail, lets get more of that!!
[/quote]

If we're serious about climate change (we're not, but if we were, or if one day we decide to be), we need much more rail and much less short-haul air travel. You don't get much more shorter-haul than Breslau to downtown Toronto...

I think Canard is right that there would be little door-to-door time advantage to flying to Hogtown over driving, given realistic check-in times. Unless you had almost no travel time to your final destination downtown Toronto, probably driving would be not much longer.

If we're even contemplating air travel between Waterloo and Toronto, this should highlight the need for faster and more frequent train service.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 09:49 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 09:36 AM)SammyOES Wrote: The noise factor is also something that would probably kill this.  People in Breslau seem to dislike living near an airport especially for early morning flights - even though the airport was there first and the noise impact is pretty well documented.

Although I agree with your sentiments, let's not be careless rewriting history.

Breslau was established in 1850.  The airfield in Breslau was completed in 1950.  But it wasn't until 2004(?) that small jets started to fly from YKF.  So yes, the people who live in Breslau have every right to complain about the noise.

By the logic that Breslau was established in 1850, it would be reasonable for the people around Pearson to complain about the noise too.

The population of Breslau has grown 300% (?) since 2004. The large majority of Breslau residents have no right to complain about the airport, imo. Furthermore, pre-2004 people should probably have realized that an airport next to a quickly growing city was probably going to get more and more traffic.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 11:20 AM)SammyOES Wrote: By the logic that Breslau was established in 1850, it would be reasonable for the people around Pearson to complain about the noise too.

The population of Breslau has grown 300% (?) since 2004.  The large majority of Breslau residents have no right to complain about the airport, imo.  Furthermore, pre-2004 people should probably have realized that an airport next to a quickly growing city was probably going to get more and more traffic.

People living near Pearson have complained and continue to complain.  And people in Breslau and in the Centreville/Chicopee area also complain about the noise as YKF gets busier and noisier.  But those of us who want to see further development of the airport should listen and try to accommodate the people who live close to the airport.  Dismissing their concerns is not the way to run a city, unless you're the Rob Ford type.  You know, 'stop the war on cars' and rip up bike lanes on downtown streets and stuff like that...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-06-2016

Uh, I didn't say we shouldn't accommodate them or that they don't have some valid complaints.

But I do think the Breslau community would kill any proposal for regular and multiple early morning flights. And I don't think that's a reasonable 'accommodation'.

And I do think the majority of the complaining is unwarranted and coming from people that bought their houses well after the airport had regular jet flights. I mean, we even have signs posted in every road in informing potential house buyers of the noise and light impact of the airport.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-11-2016

I could be wrong, but the last noise meeting I was privy too, Breslau and Centreville/Chicopee were not the "Squeaky Wheels".  Think more Hidden Valley neighbourhood.
Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - isUsername - 03-11-2016

(03-06-2016, 08:24 AM)Canard Wrote: Those Q400's are loud though.  Like ridiculously loud.  I can't believe they were denied flying jets out of YTZ; really annoyed at that, they should have imposed a decibel limit, not a technology limit.  The noise from the Q400's is just awful.  Stand anywhere along Queens Quay (or Hanlan's) and they'll take your head right off.

Yup. The C-Series and other jets with current-generation engines are quieter than some turboprops like the Q400.

That said, I've made the same argument to NoJetsTO supporters, and these specific supporters said that their issue was increased traffic, which is an understandable concern for a downtown airport on the Toronto Islands. The higher the range of the planes that they permit, the more planes they'll get.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-13-2016

I would like to see more flights from YKF so once in a while I email airlines to encourage them to fly from here.

Last week I emailed Porter and mentioned that Waterloo Region was a high-tech hub that was badly under serviced.  

Here is their reply:

Quote:Dear XXX

Thank you for your email and suggestion.

We have forwarded your feedback internally for consideration.  Your suggestions are truly valued, and your comments have been noted in our Customer Relations database.  We are always reviewing passenger feedback to ensure we are able to meet the needs of our customers.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to assisting you with future travel.

Sincerely. .....

Like any business, airlines pay attention to customer suggestions.  They probably pay more attention to customer/public feedback than they do to Chris Wood, General Manager YKF, because they would expect Chris to push for more flights.  I think that's part of his job.

In retrospect, besides mentioning the high-tech hub, I should also have mentioned the LRT.  Waterloo Region is only the 5th urban area in Canada to have, or to be in the process of constructing, an LRT.  The others are Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Ottawa.  Peel Region and Hamilton only have plans at the moment.  Anyway, when you think of all the cities that don't have an LRT and have much better air service it's clear that this Region is not served well.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-18-2016

So NextJet starts to fly from YKF on May 2 according to this story in The Record.  

I'd fly to Montreal but with a stopover in Peterborough (??!?) and Gatineau at $290 one way they won't be getting my business.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 08:10 AM)jgsz Wrote: So NextJet starts to fly from YKF on May 2 according to this story in The Record.  

I'd fly to Montreal but with a stopover in Peterborough (??!?) and Gatineau at $290 one way they won't be getting my business.

Sorry to be negative, but if this lasts three months, I will be surprised.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 03-18-2016

Ditto here. I wish them well, but wouldn't expect them to make a go of it with that service.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Section ThirtyOne - 03-18-2016

As long as the stopovers are quick, the price isn't out of line to what Bearskin charged to fly to YOW.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 02:58 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: As long as the stopovers are quick, the price isn't out of line to what Bearskin charged to fly to YOW.

Stopover turns the ~40 minute flight into 1.5h. Gatineau airport is ~30 minutes from downtown Ottawa. Depending on destination in Ottawa, this could add 1-1.5h.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-18-2016

I can't imagine NextJet doing any market research on this project.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-19-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:44 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 02:58 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: As long as the stopovers are quick, the price isn't out of line to what Bearskin charged to fly to YOW.

Stopover turns the ~40 minute flight into 1.5h. Gatineau airport is ~30 minutes from downtown Ottawa. Depending on destination in Ottawa, this could add 1-1.5h.

True, but remember, since this flight doesn't go through the terminal, you can also ixnay the extra hour to check in and go thru CATSA., so in essence you are saving 10 min, and flying in a semi-private jet.  While I would prefer to see a direct scheduled flight, I wish them well!

Coke