Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-02-2016

(02-19-2016, 12:18 PM)SammyOES Wrote: It seems a bit high, but YKF is really busy with general aviation planes.  I think I read somewhere it was top 5 or top 10 in Canada (and the sky around the airport is often full of planes).

I also don't know how something like pilots being trained and doing touch and gos count toward those statistics [Nor do I know if they even do touch and gos at YKF].

Yes they do "Touch and Go's" here, and that counts as one landing and one takeoff.... hence the squewed stats.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jerryhung - 03-03-2016

(03-02-2016, 12:26 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 02:37 PM)jerryhung Wrote: Didn't realize this thread turned into Aeroplan/YQ thread, which I'm happy to reply to

Recent update, you shouldn't see YQ to/from Japan (HND/NRT for sure) and HKG anymore

Are you sure?  Hmm, I'll have to see if I can cancel my upcoming YYZ-HND flight on points and rebook.  Even if there was a penalty, as long as the penalty was under $250, I'd still be saving money (I was charged $300 in "fees" for using my points to book the flight).

Try the same booking on Aeroplan.com again and see what comes back
Change fee is only $90+tax, worth it if your paid higher YQ

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - DHLawrence - 03-04-2016

A minor update to the NextJet announcement: the flights from YKF will be stopping at Peterborough on the way.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 03-04-2016

(03-04-2016, 06:32 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: A minor update to the NextJet announcement: the flights from YKF will be stopping at Peterborough on the way.

Kitchener - Peterborough - Ottawa - Montreal in a 9 seater aircraft?  That is bizarre.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 03-05-2016

Boggles the mind!

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 03-05-2016

Porter had one of their Q400 noisyprops at YKF today!

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/porter-airlines-supports-international-womens-day-at-girls-can-fly-event-2103173.htm

I like this:

Quote:Today, March 5, an all-female Porter Airlines crew and 50 excited volunteers and event participants, made the 12-minute flight from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Smore - 03-05-2016

Quote:Today, March 5, an all-female Porter Airlines crew and 50 excited volunteers and event participants, made the 12-minute flight from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre
[/quote]

Holey cripes! Forget rail, lets get more of that!!

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-05-2016

Hah, true. I wonder how much money it would take in subsidies to get an airline to fly 2 round trips (matching current GO schedules) to Toronto City Airport.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 03-06-2016

(03-05-2016, 11:40 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Hah, true.  I wonder how much money it would take in subsidies to get an airline to fly 2 round trips (matching current GO schedules) to Toronto City Airport.

There ought to be enough demand for this flight to be flown at a profit, particularly if it is used mostly by people connecting on with Porter to other flights.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-06-2016

I assume it's the cost per person that keeps it from happening. The raw demand is almost certainly there but I'm not sure if our current airport fee structure (particularly in Toronto) works for something like a regular commuter shuttle here.

I would love to know the actual economics of a shuttle type service between porter and YKF.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-06-2016

I just sent Porter an email to encourage them to offer a shuttle service between YKF and Billy Bishop.  

Here's the link if anyone else wants to encourage them.  It can't hurt.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 03-06-2016

Any service is better, but I have to wonder if it would really make sense to do it. It takes ~15 minutes to drive to the airport from downtown, and then you'd want to be at the airport a minimum of 20-30 minutes before your flight. So that's 45 minutes right there... if you were driving, you'd already be in Mississauga. So overall, best-case you might save 15 minutes of travel time but door-to-door is still over an hour (especially with the "Fun Ferry" at YTZ).

I think it would be neat for Porter to use YKF as a second hub or something, though - as in, have YKF-Ottawa, -Montreal, etc...

Those Q400's are loud though. Like ridiculously loud. I can't believe they were denied flying jets out of YTZ; really annoyed at that, they should have imposed a decibel limit, not a technology limit. The noise from the Q400's is just awful. Stand anywhere along Queens Quay (or Hanlan's) and they'll take your head right off.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 03-06-2016

Any service is better, but I have to wonder if it would really make sense to do it. It takes ~15 minutes to drive to the airport from downtown, and then you'd want to be at the airport a minimum of 20-30 minutes before your flight. So that's 45 minutes right there... if you were driving, you'd already be in Mississauga. So overall, best-case you might save 15 minutes of travel time but door-to-door is still over an hour (especially with the "Fun Ferry" at YTZ).

I think it would be neat for Porter to use YKF as a second hub or something, though - as in, have YKF-Ottawa, -Montreal, etc...

Those Q400's are loud though. Like ridiculously loud. I can't believe they were denied flying jets out of YTZ; really annoyed at that, they should have imposed a decibel limit, not a technology limit. The noise from the Q400's is just awful. Stand anywhere along Queens Quay (or Hanlan's) and they'll take your head right off.

I'm not sure we want that here.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-06-2016

If you want to get downtown Toronto during the weekday I think any option that replaces driving is pretty appealing. I don't know what door-to-door is on average but I live within pretty easy access of the 401 and every time I try to go downtown it just seems like a multi-hour shit show.

I think for people that live (or are within easy public transportation of) downtown Kitchener the GO train does probably make more sense. But for a lot of people its just as easy to get to YKF as it is to get to a GO station. And I have to think the door-to-door for those people is significantly faster by flying.

The noise factor is also something that would probably kill this. People in Breslau seem to dislike living near an airport especially for early morning flights - even though the airport was there first and the noise impact is pretty well documented.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 09:36 AM)SammyOES Wrote: The noise factor is also something that would probably kill this.  People in Breslau seem to dislike living near an airport especially for early morning flights - even though the airport was there first and the noise impact is pretty well documented.

Although I agree with your sentiments, let's not be careless rewriting history.

Breslau was established in 1850.  The airfield in Breslau was completed in 1950.  But it wasn't until 2004(?) that small jets started to fly from YKF.  So yes, the people who live in Breslau have every right to complain about the noise.