Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 08-10-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:19 PM)ykf_gm Wrote: I am good most evenings.  I'll even bring in some food...

Can i leave it to the group to suggest a couple dates and we can go from there!  I will be out of town aug 23 til sept 8 but am pretty free until then or after sept 8

Chris

Chris,

I think it would be best if you picked a date that's convenient for you (at this point probably after Sept 8)  and invited members of this group to attend.  If you gave us a month to respond you'd have a fairly good idea of how many may show up.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jerryhung - 08-10-2015

I think Chris can suggest few dates and we vote on it

I prefer August (before 8/23), just to get it done while it's fresh, and kids are still out of school etc...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - numberguy - 08-11-2015

Looking forward to this and hearing about forthcoming changes/plans

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Spokes - 08-12-2015

This is a great opportunity, thanks Chris!

I too think it'd be best if you suggested a couple of options that work best for you, afterall, none of this happens without you. With those we can decide what works best.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - numberguy - 09-03-2015

therecord.com/news-story/5826196-regional-airport-is-busiest-training-centre-in-ontario

More than 100 full-time aviation students, either at Waterloo or in a two-year Conestoga College program, have made the Region of Waterloo International Airport the busiest flight training centre in Ontario, and one of the top 10 in the country.

Statistics Canada data show that in 2014, the Waterloo Region airport saw 55,661 local takeoffs and landings — where the aircraft takes off and lands at the same airport. That was the highest number of any airport in Ontario — seventh in Canada — and compares with 27,634 at the Toronto Islands airport and 28,664 in London, Ont.

Buttonville Municipal Airport, just north of Toronto, had long been the busiest training centre in Ontario, but after it announced in 2009 that it would close and its land would be redeveloped for homes and businesses, flight training programs moved out, reducing the number of flights there.

Three facilities offer flight training at the Breslau airport: the Waterloo-Wellington Flight Centre, by far the largest with 23 aircraft and 30 instructors; Adler Aviation, with two aircraft and two instructors; and Great Lakes Helicopter, with five helicopters and two instructors.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ookpik - 10-08-2015

Southern Ontario airport capacity to be challenged by surging passenger traffic: report 
Quote:Airline passenger traffic in Southern Ontario is expected to more than double by the 2040s, exceeding the combined capacity of all the airports in the region to handle it, says a white paper done for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA).

More than 42 million passengers travelled through airports from Windsor to Kingston, last year – 38.6 million through Pearson International in Toronto – but by 2043, traffic will rise to about 90 million airline passengers at airports that have capacity to serve about 70 million people.

That means a system of regional co-ordination among airports needs to be established so they function as an integrated group rather than a collection of individual facilities, says the report, scheduled to be released Thursday at the CityAge conference in Toronto...

Pearson’s role as the airport that deals mainly with international traffic will remain, but the airport system in Southern Ontario could end up being similar to that of New York, where JFK is the international hub, LaGuardia handles short- and medium-term flights, Newark, N.J., is a key centre for low-cost carriers and Teterboro, N.J., is the business and executive airport...

[Image: image.jpg]

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Drake - 10-08-2015

Great article Ookpik. There is a certain logic in their suggestions, assuming there is a real alternative (EG reasonable rail travel) that will move passengers between these airports.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Markster - 10-08-2015

Man, I am so missing the Bearskin flight to Ottawa right now.
My father has some health issues right now, and it would be comforting to know there was an option to get to Ottawa in a matter of a couple hours.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - nms - 10-13-2015

I know in past that there was typically a WestJet float in the Oktoberfest parade, I noticed that Condor Airlines had a float.  They currently serve Toronto from various points in Europe.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 06:56 PM)nms Wrote: I know in past that there was typically a WestJet float in the Oktoberfest parade, I noticed that Condor Airlines had a float.  They currently serve Toronto from various points in Europe.

I noticed that too.  Wouldn't it be nice.....

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 07:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-13-2015, 06:56 PM)nms Wrote: I know in past that there was typically a WestJet float in the Oktoberfest parade, I noticed that Condor Airlines had a float.  They currently serve Toronto from various points in Europe.

I noticed that too.  Wouldn't it be nice.....

The first Condor flight in Canada was from Halifax several years back if I remember correctly. They are now partnering with WestJet for flights across the Atlantic, which I presume is the reason they took over the WestJet float spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a WestJet flight from YKF to YHZ connecting to Frankfurt?

Condor prices across the Atlantic are often half of those of Air Canada.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 07:15 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: The first Condor flight in Canada was from Halifax several years back if I remember correctly. They are now partnering with WestJet for flights across the Atlantic, which I presume is the reason they took over the WestJet float spot. Wouldn't it be nice to have a WestJet flight from YKF to YHZ connecting to Frankfurt?

Condor prices across the Atlantic are often half of those of Air Canada.

Assuming one of Condor's hubs is where you want to go. 

If you want to be somewhere else, you will end up by another intra-Europe ticket (possibly eating some of the cost savings), doing a two- or three-stop itinerary (depending on the hub connectivity and your destination) and hauling luggage between planes. (LCCs typically don't have interline check-in arrangements with conventional airlines.)  A lot depends on your personal balance of time, nuisance tolerance and cost. Smile

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 08:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Assuming one of Condor's hubs is where you want to go. 

If you want to be somewhere else, you will end up by another intra-Europe ticket (possibly eating some of the cost savings), doing a two- or three-stop itinerary (depending on the hub connectivity and your destination) and hauling luggage between planes. (LCCs typically don't have interline check-in arrangements with conventional airlines.)  A lot depends on your personal balance of time, nuisance tolerance and cost. Smile

I often fly to a main European hub and complete the trip on high speed rail (HSR: the civilized way to travel Tongue ).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 08:24 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(10-13-2015, 08:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Assuming one of Condor's hubs is where you want to go. 

I often fly to a main European hub and complete the trip on high speed rail (HSR: the civilized way to travel Tongue ).

A good point! Big Grin

Regarding Condor, they aren't really in expansion mode (no additional aircraft on order at the moment) so I think expansion of Canadian destinations will be reliant solely on WS.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 10-14-2015

From Frankfurt, you can get easily to pretty well anywhere in Europe fairly easily by either air or rail, and anywhere within Germany and neighbouring countries on the Autobahn.

It would be a dream to be able to get on a flight in Waterloo, and off in Frankfurt. It wouldn't need a frequent schedule: I think people would plan trips around it.