Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Section ThirtyOne - 08-05-2015

Depending on timing, i'd also be interested.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 08-05-2015

Count me in, subject to date/time.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Rainrider22 - 08-05-2015

I would be interested as well

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:05 AM)ykf_gm Wrote: I have read all of your thoughts and want to assure all of you that we are working hard to bring more service to YKF.  Ottawa and Montreal are next in line, and we are hopeful a carrier sees the opportunity we know exists.  As for the others, you never know.  Jet naked, Canada Jetlines and Newleaf could change the landscape significantly for Regional airports.

JFK, LGA, and EWR are really tough from YKF for different reasons as have been mentioned.  We are going after PHL.  Better connections but less of an end destination, but they have capacity.

I would be open to host this group at a session at the airport (field trip!!!) ha ha. Maybe we could do a tour and then i could show you what we present to the airlines?  Anyone interested?

YKF GM

A tour of RoWIA?  I'm in Chris! Tongue

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:35 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 09:05 AM)ykf_gm Wrote:  Jet naked, Canada Jetlines and Newleaf could change the landscape significantly for Regional airports.

I'm not familiar with those airlines.  Are any of them similar to Ryanair or Wizz Air that tend to service secondary airports for less money?

Newleaf will be using Flair Air's livery, and have chosen YHM as one of their 3 bases.  No idea if they have actually started routes yet or not.

Article from Flightcentre.ca:

Could Jetlines and Jet Naked be Canada’s Newest Discount Airlines?

As former low-cost carrier WestJet prepares to upgrade their fleet and purchase new, far-reaching planes to expand their network into Europe and possibly beyond, a door has opened in the Canadian air travel market for a replacement no-frills carrier or two. WestJet’s initial strategy of being the budget alternative to the nation’s flagship airline has quickly morphed in to direct competition and ticket prices more in-line with Air Canada’s, leaving their low-cost model successfully behind.
While charter airlines Air Transat, Sunwing and even Air Canada’s discount carrier rouge shuttle the holiday market to The Caribbean, Mexico and operate limited seasonal domestic routes, Air Canada and WestJet (including WestJet’s regional Encore) are currently basking in owning up to 85% of Canada’s domestic market with Porter Airlines’ puddle jumping service making up the remaining 15%. This lack of competition in Canadian skies has driven domestic fares up and has left travellers disgruntled and more than ready to pay less. Enter Vancouver based Jetlines and their soon to be rival, Calgary’s super-marketable Jet Naked.
[url=http://www.flightcentre.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/800px-Calgary_Airport.jpg][/url]
Both companies are aiming for a spring 2015 launch and see an opportunity that has been explored before but both are determined to stick with their ultra-low-cost model to make it work. Start-up, flash-in-the-pan charter airlines are nothing new to Canadians, some still bitter at how quickly and easily they seemed to have unraveled in the past. JetsGo, Canada 3000 and CanJet may have left a bad taste in the mouths of those affected by sudden shutdowns and overnight bankruptcies leaving travellers stranded abroad in some cases and scrambling for alternative modes of travel in others but the prospect of saving up to 40% on current Air Canada and WestJet domestic airfares also makes people forgive and forget fast.
Neither Jetlines nor Jet Naked have released details on exact routes or the exact cost of tickets but both promise a reliable, safe and cheap travel experience for Canadians feeling strapped by the cost of flying Air Canada and WestJet. Jetlines plan to operate Airbus A319 aircraft and use some of Canada’s secondary airports to cut landing fees. They plan to focus on the west coast and their no bells or whistles service will also come with a more streamlined staff on board, further cutting their operating costs.
Alternatively, Jet Naked will use Boeing B737’s and operate in a very similar fashion to keep costs low, looking at U.S. based Spirit and Frontier Airlines as examples of successful start-up models. Budget airfares will cover only the cost of the seat with everything from carry-on and checked baggage to meals and entertainment costing an optional extra. Both carriers have also not ruled out U.S. destinations and possibly even select holiday spots in the sun in their future and that future, if you ask my wallet, couldn’t come fast enough.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jerryhung - 08-05-2015

I'm interested also

Let's do a poll on date/time?
EventBrite for invite

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 08-05-2015

Depending on Chris's availability, of course, how about a Monday - Thursday evening at around 1800hrs while we still have the evening light?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Drake - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:21 AM)ookpik Wrote: For people in ROW who want to travel to NYC downtown, how do these two compare in terms of time, hassle and cost?

1. drive to YYZ (or YTZ), park at YYZ, fly to LGA/EWR, taxi (subway?) to Manhattan
2. fly YKF to PHL, PHL to Amtrak station, Amtrak to Manhattan

According to Google it's a 15 min ride on SEPTA (like GO) from PHL to the Amtrak station and then 1 to 1½ hours to Manhattan Penn Central. That's about how long it takes to drive from ROW to YYZ, but hopefully more reliable.

Is this a viable way to do an end-run around YYZ to get to Manhattan?

I do not consider myself a NYC expert, but it is my experience that NYC downtown is pretty vague. I am going to assume you mean midtown.

I would also suggest the best airport to fly to if you are looking to go to mid-town is going to be Newark (EWR). From there take NJ Rail to either NY Penn Station or NJ Penn Station and transfer to the World Trade Centre if you want Wall Street.

My preference as well is to fly from Billy Bishop (YTZ) via Porter rather than Air Canada. Last time I went I took the train from Aldershot where I parked for free and went Porter. It was cost effective and efficient. FWIW

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ykf_gm - 08-05-2015

I am good most evenings. I'll even bring in some food...

Can i leave it to the group to suggest a couple dates and we can go from there! I will be out of town aug 23 til sept 8 but am pretty free until then or after sept 8

Chris

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - YKF - 08-05-2015

I'm down!

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 08-06-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:19 PM)ykf_gm Wrote: I am good most evenings.  I'll even bring in some food...

Can i leave it to the group to suggest a couple dates and we can go from there!  I will be out of town aug 23 til sept 8 but am pretty free until then or after sept 8

Chris

I would like to suggest that Justin C. or one of the moderators pick a day or two and see which works best for most of the members of Waterloo Region Connected.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 08-06-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:00 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Article from Flightcentre.ca:

(...) Jetlines plan to operate Airbus A319 aircraft and use some of Canada’s secondary airports to cut landing fees. They plan to focus on the west coast and their no bells or whistles service will also come with a more streamlined staff on board, further cutting their operating costs.

Alternatively, Jet Naked will use Boeing B737’s and operate in a very similar fashion to keep costs low, looking at U.S. based Spirit and Frontier Airlines as examples of successful start-up models. Budget airfares will cover only the cost of the seat with everything from carry-on and checked baggage to meals and entertainment costing an optional extra. Both carriers have also not ruled out U.S. destinations and possibly even select holiday spots in the sun in their future and that future, if you ask my wallet, couldn’t come fast enough.

Jetlines has actually signed an order for 737MAX, and is planning to use (rather ancient -- and thirsty) 737-300s until it gets the 737MAX delivery six years from now.  

The real problem at the moment is that in spite of the "spring 2015" launch target neither Jetlines nor Jet Naked seems to have been able to raise sufficient financing so far to start operations.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 08-07-2015

(07-25-2015, 11:25 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: It's my understanding that range as described in manufacturer specifications means effective range and not "you arrive there with the last drop of fuel". So if the range is 2076nm it

Leeham News had an excellent story on this topic today:
http://leehamnews.com/2015/08/07/bjorns-corner-why-is-the-real-range-of-an-airliner-always-shorter-then-what-the-oem-says/

Short summary: as a rule, you can reduce the advertised range by roughly 20% to arrive at a practical planning range for any given aircraft.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 08-07-2015

I'm not sure if I'm included in the group invited, but I'd definitely be interested in attending a tour and seeing what's being presented to airlines.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - numberguy - 08-10-2015

As am I, bump.