Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Koban! These are everywhere in Japan. And, yes, that's a police bicycle parked in front. Note the holder at the front for the keijou (stick).

Exactly what I had in mind. I don't know what other countries do this, and how the implementation differs, but I've mostly heard about them in the Japanese context. And after visiting Japan I was surprised at how natural and in-place they felt. You certainly see a lot more cops on bikes there too.

(09-03-2020, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm curious, are you living in a house, apartment building or a smaller multiplex building?

I'd rather not be overly specific, but it's a mixed use, King St fronting building. Historically I think the whole building was businesses; my apartment still has a little hidden branding from an old business.

(09-03-2020, 04:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I understand the opposition, but only in the context of having given up on improving the police.

Absolutely. I think with a healthy civilian-police relationship, police presence should be welcomed rather than imposed.

(09-03-2020, 05:50 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 04:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think the idea is that the identifiable group decides on its own to appoint some of its own people to do this. So not necessarily that different from the universities encouraging their students to be good neighbours. I can even imagine the regular police calling the group-specific wardens for minor issues; if the group (whichever one it is) is willing and able to work with its members to address issues, this may be more successful than anything the police can do.

In another context, Canadian Rangers are also mostly (but not exclusively) First Nations. It depends on the buy-in from the community. The minor issues probably should be dealt with in the community, and we should use restorative justice more.

Fair points. I suppose if the "wardens" are a part of the group, and are brought into existence by the group's collective reflection on specifically internal issues, then I don't see any issue.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 07:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Koban! These are everywhere in Japan. And, yes, that's a police bicycle parked in front. Note the holder at the front for the keijou (stick).

Exactly what I had in mind. I don't know what other countries do this, and how the implementation differs, but I've mostly heard about them in the Japanese context. And after visiting Japan I was surprised at how natural and in-place they felt. You certainly see a lot more cops on bikes there too.

And the Japanese police often stand outside, just watching, and even saying hello to strange foreigners walking by. Smile

(09-03-2020, 07:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm curious, are you living in a house, apartment building or a smaller multiplex building?

I'd rather not be overly specific, but it's a mixed use, King St fronting building. Historically I think the whole building was businesses; my apartment still has a little hidden branding from an old business.

Understood! But, yes, if you are directly on King St, then you will surely encounter an order of magnitude more "incidents" than people living three or four blocks away in Cedar Hill or Irvin St, for example. Maybe you have been unlucky, but the location will have had a big impact, too.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-03-2020

(09-03-2020, 05:50 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 04:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I understand the opposition, but only in the context of having given up on improving the police.

I’m not sure that everybody understands that there are always police. The question is whether they are accountable to the communities in which they operate. So my perspective is that if there is a persistent problem with police culture, it needs to be addressed, but not by eliminating the police. However, the management structure and membership may need to be overhauled. Frequently I read of police abuses which make me think “that officer should be fired and blacklisted”, that is, forbidden to be employed in policing or related fields like security or the army. We need to get the right sort of person in the police force; honest people who will hold their colleagues to account rather than hiding crimes committed by them (among many other good qualities that are needed). The way to get there will depend on the force in question; I suspect some forces are already in pretty good shape, while others probably need a sizeable fraction of their officers to be fired (not just retrained, although that would be part of it).

I don't think "defund the police" actually means that there should be no police. I mean, certainly there should be someone to call to handle a domestic violence situation as danbrotherston mentioned earlier. It is tragic that some people do not feel / are not safe in calling the police to handle their situations. The system in which today's police exist is controversial, as is the law in Ontario where the police just get to set their budget and municipalities have to go with it. It is also probably true that police don't have to handle all of the situations that they handle today.

(09-03-2020, 04:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think the idea is that the identifiable group decides on its own to appoint some of its own people to do this. So not necessarily that different from the universities encouraging their students to be good neighbours. I can even imagine the regular police calling the group-specific wardens for minor issues; if the group (whichever one it is) is willing and able to work with its members to address issues, this may be more successful than anything the police can do.

In another context, Canadian Rangers are also mostly (but not exclusively) First Nations. It depends on the buy-in from the community. The minor issues probably should be dealt with in the community, and we should use restorative justice more.

Yes, and I should also be clear, all of the people who were involved in the domestic violence calls I described were white men (and the woman victim). If I encountered a situation with a minority person where I might feel calling the police could be warranted, I would frankly, not be comfortable doing so unless I felt there was absolutely no other option...I think it's a risky thing to do.

The 'defund the police' calls I might have disagreed with some years ago, I have changed my position on them. There are a few reasons.

First and foremost, we spend an astronomical amount of money on policing, it is one of the largest expenses for our city and rarely gets any consideration for cuts, unlike our social programs. So what do we get for that enormous and uncontested spending?

One of the biggest risks for people's safety is dangerous driving. I feel the police make near zero difference here. They they be replaced with cheaper, more effective, less prejudicial (but not completely non-prejudicial) automated enforcement systems for most enforcement tasks. So I don't think spending on policing is a good value here.

In terms of "real" crime, some are solved, but you look at bike thefts, the solve rate is something like 1%. Certainly more serious crimes are solved at a much higher rate, but those are an utterly microscopic percentage of police calls and budget.  So I don't think spending on policing is giving good value here either.

So what do we spend most of our policing dollars on...it's responding to nuisance and care calls...which generally are the ones that end up the most problematic. They have neither the training, nor do they have good solutions for these problems. I feel much of the money spent on these activites would be better spent on programs to actually solve these problems instead of just enforce against them.

Now, that's all an economic argument, and absolutely applies to our region. The next arguments, I have less familiarity with in our region, and I suspect apply less, or not at all, but we'll circle back.

The police, in many US (and probably some Canadian) police forces appear to be entirely corrupt and broken. There are so many ways to explain this, literal get out of jail (well ticket) free cards they can issue to friends, their illegal driving, their unwillingness to actually hold bad apples accountable, their lies, their mass resignation in protest of any officer being held accountable for violent acts, right down the police unions supporting Donald Trump. Frankly, I think there are entire US police departments that are utterly rotten to the core, and can only be fixed by a complete teardown. In many ways this is historical, look at the history of policing in the US, it isn't a pretty picture in many places.

So lets circle back, I don't believe WRPS is in that situation, but what does concern me is the attitudes we see. I would feel a lot more comfortable if upon seeing the situation in the US and the harm their police forces are causing, and the problems that distrust of the police puts in the way of officers doing their jobs, if I felt that our police forces considered that the number one threat to their success. As it is, I hear a lot of lip service, but when you look closer, it appears to be a lot of deflection, little public denouncement of the "bad apples" that make the news, little real programs to make meaningful improvements, or even measure the problems. I mean, clearly WRPS does have some issues...their record on stopping people is apparently pretty problematic (something automated enforcement could improve).

So, not every place is the same, but more than that, not everyone's experience with police is the same, and while I used to find that hard to fathom, when looking closer, I think a strong argument is made for substantial fundamental changes to the role of police and the scope of policing. I as a citizen am not happy that I have to consider how policing will treat different people differently before I call the police, but I can only imagine how it must feel to be on the receiving end of that. Our policing needs to be better, and I'm quite certain we could make due just fine with far less of it.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 09-04-2020

99% Invisible had a great episode recently about Freedom House Ambulance Service, which was one of the first professional paramedic services and formed to serve Pittsburgh's black community which received substandard service from the police, who were responsible for responding to medical emergencies at that time. There's a lot of detail to the story and lots of shitty racism, but the success of their model eventually was the birth of paramedicine as a separate profession and is an example of defunding the police.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/freedom-house-ambulance-service/

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 09-25-2020

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/two-pedestrians-hit-while-crossing-street-in-waterloo-1.5119595

Driver strikes two pedestrians, gets an $85 fine.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 10-18-2020

$85 dollars for hitting two people? That's a bit absurd.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 11:37 AM)ac3r Wrote: $85 dollars for hitting two people? That's a bit absurd.

I would agree...it makes me wonder who exactly is the opposition to rationalizing our driving laws. Seems like everyone agrees drivers are terrible, yet somehow there is no willingness to strengthen laws. Seems like there is something going on there.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 11:37 AM)ac3r Wrote: $85 dollars for hitting two people? That's a bit absurd.

That's likely the set fine for "turn in safety". I'm surprised it's that low, it should surely be higher when causing an accident, whether with a pedestrian, cyclist or another car.

That said, I don't think the HTA generally differentiates offences based on whether someone was injured or not.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 12:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

I would agree...it makes me wonder who exactly is the opposition to rationalizing our driving laws. Seems like everyone agrees drivers are terrible, yet somehow there is no willingness to strengthen laws. Seems like there is something going on there.

Any time there is discussion of red light cameras or even more so speeding cameras, everybody starts talking about it just being a tax grab. So there is another aspect of it.

To be fair, especially with speeding cameras, I don’t think most people understand that more care needs to be taken with automatically-enforced rules; so I’m concerned that speeding cameras would be used to enforce inappropriate speed limits rather than more appropriate limits. For example, somebody doing 50km/h past a school at midnight is not generally a hazard. But that being said, a lot of people don’t seem to like the idea that we might have to actually follow some rules when driving, not just when a patrol car is around. This also comes up with discussions around sharing the locations of speed traps. The debate gets sidetracked into a BS debate around whether drivers should follow rules all the time or only when the police are watching, rather than a more meaningful debate about what speed limits are appropriate on various roads at different times.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 02:52 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 12:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I would agree...it makes me wonder who exactly is the opposition to rationalizing our driving laws. Seems like everyone agrees drivers are terrible, yet somehow there is no willingness to strengthen laws. Seems like there is something going on there.

Any time there is discussion of red light cameras or even more so speeding cameras, everybody starts talking about it just being a tax grab. So there is another aspect of it.

To be fair, especially with speeding cameras, I don’t think most people understand that more care needs to be taken with automatically-enforced rules; so I’m concerned that speeding cameras would be used to enforce inappropriate speed limits rather than more appropriate limits. For example, somebody doing 50km/h past a school at midnight is not generally a hazard. But that being said, a lot of people don’t seem to like the idea that we might have to actually follow some rules when driving, not just when a patrol car is around. This also comes up with discussions around sharing the locations of speed traps. The debate gets sidetracked into a BS debate around whether drivers should follow rules all the time or only when the police are watching, rather than a more meaningful debate about what speed limits are appropriate on various roads at different times.
What is actually gained by being lax on the speed in school zones at certain times. Scarcely nothing in travel times, I'm sure? I'm far more in favour of a strict and unambiguous application of the law. If the speed can be increased at certain times, it should be signed as such. The current system we have is horrible, where whether you're charged largely depends on if you get seen, if the officer is having a bad day, and the colour of your skin or sex.

(10-18-2020, 04:11 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 02:52 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Any time there is discussion of red light cameras or even more so speeding cameras, everybody starts talking about it just being a tax grab. So there is another aspect of it.

What is actually gained by being lax on the speed in school zones at certain times. Scarcely nothing in travel times, I'm sure? I'm far more in favour of a strict and unambiguous application of the law. If the speed can be increased at certain times, it should be signed as such. The current system we have is horrible, where whether you're charged largely depends on if you get seen, if the officer is having a bad day, and the colour of your skin or sex.

Indeed, the current system is a complete failure.

An aggressive automated enforcement system would be better in every way, except that white, wealthy people would be less able to use their privilege to escape the consequences of endangering others.  Even better would be automated enforcement with income geared fines.

Frankly, I don't even care if the speed limits are "reasonable"...that's nothing more than an opinion, I don't think it's "reasonable" for any speed limit in a residential area to ever be above 30 km/h, but that's just my opinion based on my belief that safety is more important than convenience.

Of course, I question your example too, driving past a school at midnight one should be cautious...it's midnight, so it's dark so visibility is poor.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 05:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Of course, I question your example too, driving past a school at midnight one should be cautious...it's midnight, so it's dark so visibility is poor.

Why do we tend to have lower speed limits near schools?

Because lots of kids are about.

That isn’t true at midnight.

What more do I need to say?

Now, that isn’t an argument that it’s OK to blitz past a school at 80km/h just because it’s the middle of the night, but the reason for the lower limit simply doesn’t exist all the time.

Obviously there could be kids anywhere, but hardly anybody thinks limits should be dropped across the board.

I’m more concerned with sidewalks that are right next to roads, including roads that are explicitly designed to move at fairly high speeds. There should be no such thing as a place where non-motor traffic is expected to go immediately beside 60km/h limit or higher motor traffic.

(10-18-2020, 07:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 05:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Of course, I question your example too, driving past a school at midnight one should be cautious...it's midnight, so it's dark so visibility is poor.

Why do we tend to have lower speed limits near schools?

Because lots of kids are about.

That isn’t true at midnight.

What more do I need to say?

Now, that isn’t an argument that it’s OK to blitz past a school at 80km/h just because it’s the middle of the night, but the reason for the lower limit simply doesn’t exist all the time.

Obviously there could be kids anywhere, but hardly anybody thinks limits should be dropped across the board.

I’m more concerned with sidewalks that are right next to roads, including roads that are explicitly designed to move at fairly high speeds. There should be no such thing as a place where non-motor traffic is expected to go immediately beside 60km/h limit or higher motor traffic.

There is literally a massive push by most road safety advocates to drop the limit in residential areas to 30km/h (although most are willing to compromise on 40km/h). This is not "hardly anybody".

I do agree though, Curb faced sidewalks are terrible too.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 10-19-2020

(10-18-2020, 08:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There is literally a massive push by most road safety advocates to drop the limit in residential areas to 30km/h (although most are willing to compromise on 40km/h). This is not "hardly anybody".

I meant everywhere, not just in residential areas. We could say that there could be a kid wandering around Homer Watson and therefore it should operate at 30km/h; but I hope most people would see that as absurd.

I agree that on non-collector residential streets faster speeds are useless. Arriving at the stop sign 2s earlier doesn’t really help anyone. One problem we have is that newer subdivisions tend to have circulatory streets with houses on them, streets that are significant enough to have bus routes on them. So there are houses, suggesting that slower speeds would be appropriate; but they are designed large and wide, sometimes even with four lanes, and their function is to move significant amounts of traffic around the neighbourhood, not just to access their own houses.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 10-27-2020

Another day, another region neighbourhood opposing sidewalks:

(For those interested in leaving comments: https://www.engagewr.ca/longfellow-reconstruction)