Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 12-07-2019

(12-06-2019, 02:38 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I think this is the article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/dutch-inspired-roundabout-kitchener-committee-1.5352984

It includes:

Quote:Barry Cronkite, director of transportation for the City of Kitchener says changing the current roundabout at Huron and Strasburg to a a Dutch-influenced version would place a higher priority on vulnerable users, such as pedestrians and cyclists.

"There'd be an outer ring that's dedicated strictly for cycling facilities ... and we would highlight it with green paint," said Cronkite.

"We would pull the [pedestrian] crossings ... farther away from the circle itself."

Thank you!

I don't know how far is acceptable. Six or eight meters seems like nothing at all when you type it, but added to the walking distance the roundabout's width itself adds, and perhaps multiplied by several roundabouts on a given walk, and it could add significant distance and time to a trip, especially for someone who walks slower than the norm.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 12-07-2019

Yet another potentially dumb question - wouldn't moving the location of the crosswalks actually shorten/leave unchanged the distance many people have to walk, depending on the pedestrian traffic pattern?

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 12-08-2019

For anyone needing to cross the street and double back, it would shorten the route. I suppose it would leave the distance unchanged at each intersection at which one is turning.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - goggolor - 12-10-2019

I took a couple pics of the new concrete being put in at R&T Park. It does seem more likely that they're for cyclists rather than pedestrians, but unless there's some more work coming for the crossings this doesn't seem very useful other than letting cyclists turn right without entering the roundabout. (These two pics are from the east and south side of the Accelerator Center).

[Image: cX3sjwg.jpg]

[Image: IEpiTpc.jpg]

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 12-10-2019

(12-10-2019, 10:43 AM)goggolor Wrote: I took a couple pics of the new concrete being put in at R&T Park. It does seem more likely that they're for cyclists rather than pedestrians, but unless there's some more work coming for the crossings this doesn't seem very useful other than letting cyclists turn right without entering the roundabout. (These two pics are from the east and south side of the Accelerator Center).

[Image: cX3sjwg.jpg]

[Image: IEpiTpc.jpg]

Yes, they are for allowing cyclists to use the paths around the roundabout rather than riding in it.  It's pretty poor because there is no crossrides so they're facilitating illegal behaviour...but that's pretty typical for cycling infra.

That being said, I really don't like how they do it, the transition is far too oblique and I would bet money they're using a curb with a lip, I find that is always risky for catching the lip and falling, and I really wouldn't like to risk that at a roundabout. I don't understand why they find it so difficult to create a flat curb or a straight entrance.  I've brought this up a 1000 times and they don't seem to have a clue.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - timc - 12-10-2019

Yes, too oblique. And yes, there is a lip. Pointless. At least they didn’t put tactile strips at the end.

(12-10-2019, 07:25 PM)timc Wrote: Yes, too oblique. And yes, there is a lip. Pointless. At least they didn’t put tactile strips at the end.

*cries*...what a low bar.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 12-10-2019

(12-10-2019, 12:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, I really don't like how they do it, the transition is far too oblique and I would bet money they're using a curb with a lip, I find that is always risky for catching the lip and falling, and I really wouldn't like to risk that at a roundabout. I don't understand why they find it so difficult to create a flat curb or a straight entrance.  I've brought this up a 1000 times and they don't seem to have a clue.

I opened the image in a separate tab and expanded it. I think you’re right — looks like a curb with a lip to me:

https://i.imgur.com/cX3sjwg.jpg

So we get a lip where bicycles are supposed to cross, but a roll curb with no lip where nobody is supposed to cross over (King St.). Genius.

(12-10-2019, 11:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, I really don't like how they do it, the transition is far too oblique and I would bet money they're using a curb with a lip, I find that is always risky for catching the lip and falling, and I really wouldn't like to risk that at a roundabout. I don't understand why they find it so difficult to create a flat curb or a straight entrance.  I've brought this up a 1000 times and they don't seem to have a clue.

I opened the image in a separate tab and expanded it. I think you’re right — looks like a curb with a lip to me:

https://i.imgur.com/cX3sjwg.jpg

So we get a lip where bicycles are supposed to cross, but a roll curb with no lip where nobody is supposed to cross over (King St.). Genius.

Yeah, it's pretty on point that most of the curbs that cyclists are expected to ride across to access cycling infrastructure are more aggressive than most of the curbs the region has built to keep cars away from cyclists.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 02-03-2020

Fatal hit and run in Kitchener Sad

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/body-in-kitchener-being-investigated-as-possible-hit-and-run-1.4795199

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 04:14 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Fatal hit and run in Kitchener Sad

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/body-in-kitchener-being-investigated-as-possible-hit-and-run-1.4795199

I have walked that section before...it's incredibly unpleasant, no sidewalk, speeding traffic, of course that's where we build thousands of homes and new plazas.

We never build anything before the roads are built, yet sidewalks, bike lanes, all optional.

Not to mention that the subdivisions don't have proper cut through access, which means that walks become many times longer than they need to be.

It's truly a tragedy, one that is entirely preventable.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 02-03-2020

Is it me, or does it seem as though it is becoming more common for people to flee the scene of an accident? What's up with that?

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - neonjoe - 02-04-2020

These former rural roads should have pedestrian infrastructure put in when they allow neighbourhoods to be built. I feel like Fisher Hallman between Bleams and Huron may unfortunately see something like this too. I see people walking that stretch every day.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 01:23 PM)neonjoe Wrote: These former rural roads should have pedestrian infrastructure put in when they allow neighbourhoods to be built. I feel like Fisher Hallman between Bleams and Huron may unfortunately see something like this too. I see people walking that stretch every day.

You are absolutely correct. The fact that we don't, is indicative of the priority and choices we make as a city for our transportation system. Someone should delegate this to regional council because I'm not a hundred percent sure they actually realize this.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Watdot - 02-04-2020

Tragic. Perhaps mounting lawsuits will force the Region/City to change their ways. Just look at Google Maps (Satellite) for that area and it is unbelievable that there still are not sidewalks for that heavily populated area.