Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - creative - 05-21-2019

So now we just make sh*t up!

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-21-2019

(05-21-2019, 07:14 PM)creative Wrote: Please provide where our traffic engineers say specifically that this is an “inappropriate solution”!

I am of course speaking as someone who has spoken to these people in person. I do not have a quote.

But nice of you to call me a liar.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 05-22-2019

Very cool. Kind of sad that its first implementation in the Region is in a big box development to help motorists get from their cars to the door (instead of, say, at a busy intersection in the University zone). But maybe local government will take a cue.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - clasher - 05-22-2019

I think it's nice to see a strip mall even give a hoot about pedestrian safety.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Section ThirtyOne - 05-23-2019

Anyone know where these have been painted? I drove from one end to the other yesterday on my way to the Hydrocut and didn't see the new crosswalks.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - bgb_ca - 05-23-2019

(05-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Anyone know where these have been painted? I drove from one end to the other yesterday on my way to the Hydrocut and didn't see the new crosswalks.

Looks like Immediately in front of the medical center from the pictures I saw

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 05-28-2019

Pedestrian safety vs. parking spaces: guess what wins?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9395497-alternative-location-picked-for-new-hamburg-pedestrian-crossing/

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 05-29-2019

(05-28-2019, 05:52 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Pedestrian safety vs. parking spaces: guess what wins?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9395497-alternative-location-picked-for-new-hamburg-pedestrian-crossing/

Not just pedestrian safety, but safety in general.  Two stopped cars will block the Fire Hall?  Genius!

Coke

#SafetyFirst     #SafetySecond

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - clasher - 05-29-2019

I guess no one will cross the street to shop at those local businesses on the other side of the road.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-14-2019

I realize this is rather nitpicky, but we have a promotional picture thank-you for the police helping keep a walkathon safe, which depicts a police vehicle parked in a crosswalk.

I just cannot understand how WRPS so reliably gets things like these wrong *WHILE* trying to promote pedestrian/cycling safety.

Even I put more thought into safe practices in my job...

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 06-14-2019

Yikes.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 06-29-2019

I wish everyone had a better understanding of the rules about crosswalks and crossovers. I just had a group of adults screaming obscenities at me because they expected me to stop and let them cross from a refuge island on an open section of road. The same section has a school crossing where I've had people step out in front of the car because they think they have the right of way at all times. I'm obviously not going to mow down someone who's already crossing when I get there, and I always try to be courteous to pedestrians when I'm driving, but I refuse to give someone the wave of death by stopping to let them cross when I have the right of way.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-29-2019

(06-29-2019, 01:18 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I wish everyone had a better understanding of the rules about crosswalks and crossovers. I just had a group of adults screaming obscenities at me because they expected me to stop and let them cross from a refuge island on an open section of road. The same section has a school crossing where I've had people step out in front of the car because they think they have the right of way at all times. I'm obviously not going to mow down someone who's already crossing when I get there, and I always try to be courteous to pedestrians when I'm driving, but I refuse to give someone the wave of death by stopping to let them cross when I have the right of way.

Yeah, I've had a guy come up to me and threaten to assault me because I refused to cross and waved a car through.

Honestly, I'm being precise when I say our current laws are pessimal.  Maximum conflict, maximum delay.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 06-29-2019

Well, I once had a guy jump out of his car at King and Benton and threaten to assault me because I politely objected to him blocking the crosswalk. I frequently see cars stop and wave me across when I am on the refuge island on Queen St. at the Iron Horse Trail. You guys need let go of your sense of privilege. This forum is called "Walking in Waterloo Region", not "Fuck Pedestrians".

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-29-2019

(06-29-2019, 02:32 PM)Acitta Wrote: Well, I once had a guy jump out of his car at King and Benton and threaten to assault me because I politely objected to him blocking the crosswalk. I frequently see cars stop and wave me across when I am on the refuge island on Queen St. at the Iron Horse Trail. You guys need let go of your sense of privilege. This forum is called "Walking in Waterloo Region", not "Fuck Pedestrians".

Just to clarify, when you are at a controlled intersection (i.e., with a stop sign or traffic signal) pedestrians have the right of way over cars. When you are at a crosswalk (not a "PXO" which is marked "yield to pedestrians") you do not.  So the refuge island at Queen St. drivers have the right of way over cars.  I'm not saying that's a good policy, I'm saying that's what the law says today.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here.  But to be honest, I have no idea what you're getting at, nobody here is saying anything like what you seem to be reading it as.