Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 11-15-2016

From the Record: Car driven by teen leaves scene after hitting pedestrian

"Waterloo Regional Police said a 37-year-old woman was struck by a car at the intersection of Moore Avenue and Wellington Street in Kitchener at about 1:20 a.m.

The driver left the area after hitting the pedestrian, police said.

The woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police located the driver shortly after. The driver is charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm and failure to stop at an accident. He also faces charges under the Highway Traffic Act."

Hope the woman recovers quickly. It's good to see charges of dangerous driving in addition to leaving the scene.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 11-22-2016

(10-07-2016, 09:32 PM)bpoland Wrote: Well the above post says the sidewalks are going on the "commons side" -- isn't that the north side of Jubilee? My point was that sidewalks aren't necessary on the south/lake side since there is an existing pathway (not sure why they didn't just say that instead of the meandering thing).  A sidewalk on the north side ( which is what I think they are doing) will definitely be useful.

The sidewalk construction has started -- and it's indeed going in on the north side of Jubilee.  A little bit surprised by the winter construction, curing the concrete in the winter is much more of a nuisance than in warmer months.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Canard - 11-22-2016

It is for LRT tracks, but do the same rules apply for a thin slab of sidewalk with negligible loading? (Honestly don't know)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-22-2016

(11-22-2016, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: It is for LRT tracks, but do the same rules apply for a thin slab of sidewalk with negligible loading? (Honestly don't know)

Negligible loading till someone decides to park on it.  

The city should bill drivers who park on sidewalks with the cost of repairing them.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 11-22-2016

(11-22-2016, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: It is for LRT tracks, but do the same rules apply for a thin slab of sidewalk with negligible loading? (Honestly don't know)

Regardless of the eventual load, it still has to cure (lots of details here: http://www.cement.org/for-concrete-books-learning/concrete-technology/concrete-construction/curing-in-construction).  And curing in sub-zero temperatures is not so effective, so need to use heaters and tarps to keep the concrete warm.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - darts - 11-23-2016

(11-22-2016, 02:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Regardless of the eventual load, it still has to cure (lots of details here: http://www.cement.org/for-concrete-books-learning/concrete-technology/concrete-construction/curing-in-construction).  And curing in sub-zero temperatures is not so effective, so need to use heaters and tarps to keep the concrete warm.

they are doing that right now with the tracks at fairview mall.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 11-28-2016

From the Regional Police Major Incidents page:

"MVC FATALITY
Incident #: WA16260719
Publish Date: Nov 28, 2016
Incident Date: Nov 26, 2016

On November 26, 2016 at 6 p.m., a 49-year-old Cambridge man was walking south bound across Cedar Street when he was struck by a full-sized, white Ford pick-up truck. The pedestrian was then hit by another vehicle that was traveling east along Cedar Street and was in the left turn lane attempting to enter the Westgate Plaza, located at 130 Cedar Street. The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene by the Regional Coroner. The white Ford pick-up truck failed to remain at the scene and was last observed traveling west along Cedar Street. The vehicle is described as a white Ford F-250 super duty pick-up truck with a white cap on the back. The truck will have damage to the drivers side grill, lights and mirror. Any witnesses to this incident or anyone with information is asked to call Waterloo Regional Police Services Traffic Services Unit at 519-653-7700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477."

I don't know this area very well at all, so can't guess as to what specifically might have happened. I would imagine the vehicle was speeding.

Hopefully the driver of the truck does the right thing and turns himself in, or someone recognizes the vehicle and reports it.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 11-28-2016

(11-28-2016, 02:24 PM)MidTowner Wrote: From the Regional Police Major Incidents page:

"MVC FATALITY
Incident #: WA16260719
Publish Date: Nov 28, 2016
Incident Date: Nov 26, 2016

On November 26, 2016 at 6 p.m., a 49-year-old Cambridge man was walking south bound across Cedar Street when he was struck by a full-sized, white Ford pick-up truck. The pedestrian was then hit by another vehicle that was traveling east along Cedar Street and was in the left turn lane attempting to enter the Westgate Plaza, located at 130 Cedar Street. The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene by the Regional Coroner. The white Ford pick-up truck failed to remain at the scene and was last observed traveling west along Cedar Street. The vehicle is described as a white Ford F-250 super duty pick-up truck with a white cap on the back. The truck will have damage to the drivers side grill, lights and mirror. Any witnesses to this incident or anyone with information is asked to call Waterloo Regional Police Services Traffic Services Unit at 519-653-7700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477."

I don't know this area very well at all, so can't guess as to what specifically might have happened. I would imagine the vehicle was speeding.

Hopefully the driver of the truck does the right thing and turns himself in, or someone recognizes the vehicle and reports it.

And at that point the vehicle would be heading upwards on a significant grade.

Coke

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 11-28-2016

Winter Sidewalk Maintenance
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=61c3a750-d9df-4de5-8f5e-7c32c7f55d82

RECOMMENDATION:
1. That the existing sidewalk snow clearing practices are maintained and
improvement opportunities continue to be explored and implemented
where feasible.

2. That staff continue to review and evaluate impacts of any proposed
changed to O. Reg. 239/02 (Minimum Maintenance Standards) and report
back to Council at a future date.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - clasher - 11-28-2016

(11-28-2016, 10:16 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Winter Sidewalk Maintenance
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=61c3a750-d9df-4de5-8f5e-7c32c7f55d82

RECOMMENDATION:
1. That the existing sidewalk snow clearing practices are maintained and
improvement opportunities continue to be explored and implemented
where feasible.

2. That staff continue to review and evaluate impacts of any proposed
changed to O. Reg. 239/02 (Minimum Maintenance Standards) and report
back to Council at a future date.

A whole year wasn't enough to study this issue? What a joke.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Canard - 11-28-2016

That's kind of ridiculous if this is in reference to the snow removal issue on sidewalks.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-28-2016

Time to write my councilor it seems. Ridiculous!

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 11-29-2016

This isn't the conclusion I would have liked, but to be fair to staff, they have studied the issue, and their conclusion is that their changes had a positive impact last winter. I find the complaint numbers interesting.

Anecdotally, I do think that bylaw was better at responding to unsafe sidewalks last winter than in previous years. I say this as someone who occasionally complains about sidewalks which have not been cleared.

But, as the report notes, last winter was also very mild. If we get another harsh winter, who knows what the results will be.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 08:55 AM)MidTowner Wrote: This isn't the conclusion I would have liked, but to be fair to staff, they have studied the issue, and their conclusion is that their changes had a positive impact last winter. I find the complaint numbers interesting.

Anecdotally, I do think that bylaw was better at responding to unsafe sidewalks last winter than in previous years. I say this as someone who occasionally complains about sidewalks which have not been cleared.

But, as the report notes, last winter was also very mild. If we get another harsh winter, who knows what the results will be.

As someone who walks _A LOT_ in the winter, about 99% of the time I go walking, I still encountered at least one sidewalk that was poorly cleared or entirely uncleared.

I'm a pretty able person, so I can deal, but, it's still an unacceptable situation.

The fact is, putting the onus on property owners simply doesn't work, complaints or not.  People just don't complain about it, except probably when their neighbour doesn't do it.  Frankly, I doubt there are many people in the city who do as I do and make a list of uncleared sidewalks everytime I walk somewhere.

This is incredibly frustrating.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - plam - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 11:51 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As someone who walks _A LOT_ in the winter, about 99% of the time I go walking, I still encountered at least one sidewalk that was poorly cleared or entirely uncleared.

I'm a pretty able person, so I can deal, but, it's still an unacceptable situation.

The fact is, putting the onus on property owners simply doesn't work, complaints or not.  People just don't complain about it, except probably when their neighbour doesn't do it.  Frankly, I doubt there are many people in the city who do as I do and make a list of uncleared sidewalks everytime I walk somewhere.

This is incredibly frustrating.

It was interesting to see that a lot of other Ontario cities did clear sidewalks. Most of them, in fact, yes?

But I can imagine people balking at the $26 tax increase. We seem to be really anti-tax-increase in this province. And yet, it is certainly cheaper than hiring someone individually to clear your sidewalk.