Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - kps - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 01:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I doubt that would have the desired effect, although it would allow the police to move folks along, I suppose.

Depends what the desired effect is. If it's to keep cars off the ‘sidewalk’, it should work if it's enforced (which would also be lucrative for at least the first week or two). If it's to bring about utopia by making things worse for drivers, nah, they'll just circle around.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 01:52 PM)kps Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 01:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I doubt that would have the desired effect, although it would allow the police to move folks along, I suppose.

Depends what the desired effect is. If it's to keep cars off the ‘sidewalk’, it should work if it's enforced (which would also be lucrative for at least the first week or two). If it's to bring about utopia by making things worse for drivers, nah, they'll just circle around.

"If it's enforced" is one of the bigger "if"s.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 03-22-2016

Perhaps time for an anti-idling by-law in Kitchener to match or better the Waterloo one?

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-23-2016

(03-22-2016, 09:38 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Perhaps time for an anti-idling by-law in Kitchener to match or better the Waterloo one?

The City of Waterloo bylaw is pretty standard- three minutes. Yes, Kitchener needs a similar by-law. And it should be enforced (I don't think these generally are, at least not in the municipalities around these parts which I'm familiar with).

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Canard - 03-23-2016

I wonder how idle laws account for hybrids, where the engine (source of exhaust) is typically off when the vehicle is at a standstill. Does the bylaw explicitly make a differentiation between a vehicle which is powered on vs. actual tailpipe emissions (the ICE being on)? I think about this whenever I'm sitting at Laurier waiting to pick up my husband facing a giant sign that says "PLEASE TURN ENGINE OFF" and I get dirty looks since my headlights are on so people think I'm ignoring the sign, meanwhile my ICE hasn't powered up for 10+ minutes and I've been in EV mode.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-23-2016

The definition of "idling" in Waterloo's bylaw is “the operation of the engine of a vehicle while the vehicle is not in motion.” I think you’re obeying both the bylaw and that sign when you have your car is sitting in EV mode- the car’s electric motor is in operation, but its engine is not. So, no, it doesn’t differentiate between hybrid and purely-gas mobiles (a hybrid car could be made to idle under this definition), but it should be pretty clear to anyone that you are not idling just because your vehicle’s motor (not engine) is running, or the headlights are on.

I’m a bit surprised that you would get dirty looks. Idling (actual idling, letting your car’s ICE burn gas and spew noxious exhaust for no good reason) seems pretty common to me and fairly socially acceptable, unfortunately.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Viewfromthe42 - 03-23-2016

There are definitely places where NO IDLING seems to be used in place of the (intended) NO STOPPING.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 03-26-2016

(03-23-2016, 10:03 AM)Canard Wrote: I wonder how idle laws account for hybrids, where the engine (source of exhaust) is typically off when the vehicle is at a standstill. Does the bylaw explicitly make a differentiation between a vehicle which is powered on vs. actual tailpipe emissions (the ICE being on)?  I think about this whenever I'm sitting at Laurier waiting to pick up my husband facing a giant sign that says "PLEASE TURN ENGINE OFF" and I get dirty looks since my headlights are on so people think I'm ignoring the sign, meanwhile my ICE hasn't powered up for 10+ minutes and I've been in EV mode.

And an increasing number of (non-hybrid) cars have automatic stop-start functionality, which pretty much eliminates idling.  In Europe this is an old hat already, but it's not (yet) prevalent here.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-26-2016

I have a golf and from what I've read, these features exist on the European versions, but not the North American ones. The auto start/stop functionality is maybe understandable as there is probably hardware differences, but other features, such as opening and closing the windows from the key fob are disabled in North American versions and require getting a special connector that allows you to reenable the feature. Why would they remove preexisting features from the vehicle!?

(03-26-2016, 06:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: I have a golf and from what I've read, these features exist on the European versions, but not the North American ones. The auto start/stop functionality is maybe understandable as there is probably hardware differences, but other features, such as opening and closing the windows from the key fob are disabled in North American versions and require getting a special connector that allows you to reenable the feature. Why would they remove preexisting features from the vehicle!?

The stop/start is not included mainly because they worry about owner acceptance.  But once you realize what it is, I really think few people would reject it.

Programmed features ... that's a good question.  I programmed my car to turn on the taillights with the DRL, too, why that's no longer included boggles the mind.  (If you want to enable the remote window control on your Golf, I do have a VAGCOM cable and would be happy to program it for you.)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Canard - 03-26-2016

I think a big part of it is Transport Canada. I know for my smart, they prohibited the Canadian versions from having cruise control because the text on the stalk didn't match their approved nomenclature. They also couldn't offer the wider tires option on the "pulse" version because it slightly alters the fuel consumption and they'd have to go through all the testing again to offer them, so they just slapped on the standard tires for that version in Canada (grr!). They also rewired the headlights and turned the fog lights into turn signals in Canada, and cut the wires to the turn signal lamps embedded in the headlights - they're 98 mm apart, and Transport Canada requires them to be 100+ mm away from the headlights.

tl;dr: It's easier for automakers to just disable those cool features that the European cars have because Transport Canada gives them such a hard time about the stuff.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 07:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 06:53 PM)jamincan Wrote: I have a golf and from what I've read, these features exist on the European versions, but not the North American ones. The auto start/stop functionality is maybe understandable as there is probably hardware differences, but other features, such as opening and closing the windows from the key fob are disabled in North American versions and require getting a special connector that allows you to reenable the feature. Why would they remove preexisting features from the vehicle!?

The stop/start is not included mainly because they worry about owner acceptance.  But once you realize what it is, I really think few people would reject it.

Programmed features ... that's a good question.  I programmed my car to turn on the taillights with the DRL, too, why that's no longer included boggles the mind.  (If you want to enable the remote window control on your Golf, I do have a VAGCOM cable and would be happy to program it for you.)

A friend of mine has one as well, actually; I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Shows how much I care about it!

When you do get around to it, you should do the DRL taillights, too: be seen by people behind you and reduce the chance of someone running into you!

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-27-2016

I just keep my headlights on all the time. I do think it's strange that the tail lights aren't legally required to be on with the DRL, though. I've never noticed this before, but lately the CBC has been encouraging drivers to turn on their headlights whenever there is poorer driving conditions, and last week, imploring them to remove all of the ice from their vehicles. Some people are just clueless though.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Canard - 03-27-2016

I can't tell you the number of people I still see to this day driving very early in the morning (in the dark) with NO lights on at all except the very dim DLR headlights. This also means their instrument cluster lights are not on... So they can't see their speedometer or anything. And yet they still haven't clued in that they should probably turn a switch somewhere. Dumb dumb dumb.

I'm totally with you on flipping the full head lighting system (w. Tail lights) in any sub-optimal driving condition. Makes all the difference in the world when you can see others' tail lights even if it's just a little rainy and grey our.