Waterloo Region Connected
Walking in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Walking in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=189)

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 02-05-2016

Unpredictable behaviour is dangerous when it comes to any road users. It's not good that some motorists will fail to yield the right of way as required at intersections, but sometimes yield it when not required. It's not good that some cyclists will use the road as appropriate at times, switch to the sidewalk at others, and back again with little warning. It's not good that some people on foot will cross without making their attention apparent to others.

By the way, what you guys are doing is not jaywalking. You have every right to cross midblock after checking to make sure it's safe. Jaywalking refers to "jays" from the country (like today's "bumpkin"- try calling someone from a rural area by that moniker) crossing the street willy-nilly oblivious to motor and other traffic.

Kind of sad that a lot of us feel more comfortable crossing midblock than taking our chances that motorists will yield the right of way as required. The roads would be a lot safer with fewer rules to disobey, slower speeds, and more awareness on the part of everyone about what's around them.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 02-17-2016

A very interesting story from Toronto.

Toronto officials lay down the law on new sidewalks

Quote:Ultimately, Chapman said the city’s duty to comply with the new Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act trumps residents’ concerns. The law took effect Jan. 1 and requires municipalities to reduce barriers for people living with disabilities. That means building a safe network of sidewalks in residential areas, Chapman said.

“It’s no longer something we can ask local residents if they want,” she said.

Is this a universal interpretation of that part of the Act? Can we convince our local officials that it is?

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 02-17-2016

(02-17-2016, 06:23 PM)KevinL Wrote: A very interesting story from Toronto.

Toronto officials lay down the law on new sidewalks

It seems that there are some very angry NIMFY people now! Big Grin

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - DHLawrence - 02-17-2016

I seem to recall "newfangled sidewalks" being used unironically when the same thing happened in the Blair Road area of Cambridge.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - clasher - 02-17-2016

The stretch of cycling lanes from Blair and the trail along the river all the way to Galt are a real gem of the region.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - DHLawrence - 02-18-2016

This was the part farther south after it splits off from George Street but north of where the richy-rich houses are.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-21-2016

From the Record: Car runs over pedestrian's ankle in Kitchener

Quote:As the driver was reversing into a parking lot, his car struck a 56-year-old Waterloo woman who was crossing Scott Street, Waterloo Regional Police said.

She was knocked to the ground and the car drove over her ankle.

A 58-year-old Kitchener man was charged with careless driving.
I'm guessing this is the parking lot behind the Hive (maybe the one behind Braun's). I'm just sure why someone would be backing his car into a parking lot, unless maybe he overshot the parking lot and decided going around the block was something he was too special to have to do. Anyway. a crappy thing to have happen on a Saturday morning while you're walking around downtown.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Andy - 03-21-2016

I'm guessing the man turned down onto Market Lane only to see the line up of idlers waiting for New City parking and panicked reverse.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 03-21-2016

Could be - they really need to do something about that line up down the lane and out onto Scott St every Saturday - the supermarket's clientele seems absolutely determined to park behind the store, even if it means waiting half an hour for a parking spot.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Andy - 03-21-2016

Yes it gives me frustration every week. Is it an information thing? Does New City have any advertisements for the free parking at the Market Garage?

I don't really understand how waiting 30 minutes is worth not walking <5 minutes. Everyone seems fit and able in the idle line.

The supermarket itself could help by stationing somebody out back on Saturdays to wave cars on when the lot is full - at the moment, cars wanting to use the lane need to pass the idling row and that gets them into the way of pedestrians. Personally, I'd be happier if the laneway were "pedestrian only" on Saturdays and operating as an extension of the Market.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-21-2016

I think closing Market Lane to motor traffic on Saturdays is a great idea- it is a bit of a mess there with the line-up for the parking lot. There’s certainly enough foot traffic to justify it.

Do you guys think the motorist was backing back onto Scott from Market Lane? Possible, though if so the language in the article was unclear.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - Markster - 03-21-2016

I just had my first encounter with using the little parking lot on Scott St, and now I understand the madness.
The moment you get 2 cars trying to enter/exit at once, it becomes very chaotic. There's very little space to maneuver, so lots of reversing, and awkward angles mean poor sight lines.

I am unsurprised that someone was hit.

RE: Walking in Waterloo Region - kps - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 09:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Could be - they really need to do something about that line up down the lane and out onto Scott St every Saturday - the supermarket's clientele seems absolutely determined to park behind the store, even if it means waiting half an hour for a parking spot.

Simple ‘no stopping’ signs would do.

I doubt that would have the desired effect, although it would allow the police to move folks along, I suppose.