Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 12-26-2017

A CX bike is definitely closer to a road bike than a mountain bike, but there are a few key differences. Principally clearance for larger tires (33mm max per UCI rules, but often more if you're not racing), different brakes (traditionally cantilever, but now almost always disc) for clearing mud, and generally easier gearing. There are also some differences in geometry as well, but that can vary quite a bit depending on the bike.

Rather than try to explain what cyclocross is, I'll just link a video. They've become popular as all-rounder bikes, but a lot of brands now have dedicated gravel-grinder models that are probably more appropriate for most people. The main point in my post above was that you don't necessarily need a MTB to go on MTB trails, though it certainly helps.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - chutten - 12-27-2017

(12-26-2017, 04:04 PM)Jonny Wrote: I've been meaning to make a map comparing the walking distance from the parking lots/garages in Uptown and Downtown compared to mall parking. Maybe it's the climate control, or the fact that you're 'in the mall' sooner, but there's definitely a bias towards mall parking vs more urban parking. For example, it's about 300m from the centre court at Conestoga to the middle of the parking by the Bay, which is the same as the straight line distance from the parking behind the Uptown LCBO to King & Erb, or from Kitchener City Hall to King & Water.

Not exactly what you asked for, but here's something I glommed together in a few minutes with Google Maps, Firefox Screenshots, and The GIMP:

Obviously, you can't actually park on the orange lines, you park rather a distance from them. And then walk.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 12-27-2017

(12-27-2017, 10:24 PM)chutten Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 04:04 PM)Jonny Wrote: I've been meaning to make a map comparing the walking distance from the parking lots/garages in Uptown and Downtown compared to mall parking. Maybe it's the climate control, or the fact that you're 'in the mall' sooner, but there's definitely a bias towards mall parking vs more urban parking. For example, it's about 300m from the centre court at Conestoga to the middle of the parking by the Bay, which is the same as the straight line distance from the parking behind the Uptown LCBO to King & Erb, or from Kitchener City Hall to King & Water.

Not exactly what you asked for, but here's something I glommed together in a few minutes with Google Maps, Firefox Screenshots, and The GIMP:

Obviously, you can't actually park on the orange lines, you park rather a distance from them. And then walk.

Wow!  Thanks!  That really is telling, that square could be made to encompass most of the parking in uptown, so even parking far from your destination would be like being able to park INSIDE Conestoga Mall.

Moreover, how much better land use and density do we see uptown than at the mall.

Shocking really.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 12-28-2017

Someone needs to tweet that at Diane.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Viewfromthe42 - 12-28-2017

Not just that outline, but combined with an outline of the parking at the mall, rather than just the mall itself, so you see as well how far you might park beyond the interior.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 12-28-2017

And with actual uptown parking lots/garages highlighted.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 12-28-2017

The last few days, the Spurline trail has been cleared much better on the Kitchener section.  Still not quite as good as the Waterloo side, but a lot better.

The Forwell trail is pretty lumpy because I think it gets cleared a lot less frequently, then people's footprints freeze and it makes it super rough.  The Laurel Trail is much the same.

I've come up with a pretty good little routine for brushing off the snow and then cleaning my chain, maybe I'll make a little video.  This is the little device I bought for cleaning my chain - it's super easy to use, and it only takes about 2 minutes to clean the chain, dry it off, and re-lube after each ride.

[Image: 5043705-GRN00.jpg?w=500&h=500&auto=forma...ill&bg=FFF]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - chutten - 12-29-2017

(12-28-2017, 09:24 PM)Canard Wrote: I've come up with a pretty good little routine for brushing off the snow and then cleaning my chain, maybe I'll make a little video.  This is the little device I bought for cleaning my chain - it's super easy to use, and it only takes about 2 minutes to clean the chain, dry it off, and re-lube after each ride.

That's neat. I always struggle to remember to keep my chain clean. Sometimes I forget so long visible rust appears and starts clunking around the sprockets :( Maybe this sort of thing would lower the activation energy needed enough that I'll get into some proper habits and stop being quite so bad to my bicycle.

While I'm here, by popular request, here's the rough outline of the parking lot as well. (I put in some of the parking lanes where it was easy to do so, and added in our friend Galaxy Cinemas to complete the picture). I knew I left my project files open for a reason:

I'm not 100% on what Google Maps' licensing terms are, but my modifications I release into the Public Domain. Feel free to use as you will: Tweet to effect social change, remix to highlight uptown's parking, share with elected officials, whatever.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 12-29-2017

I went out and got the chain cleaner when after 1 day without wiping off the snow and muck, my chain had started to rust and got a “lumpy link” like you describe! It really is super easy to use. I swear I have no affiliation to the company or to MEC. Smile Storing my bike inside makes a big difference too, because any little bits of snow I don’t wipe off just melt and evaporate, instead of freezing or dusting away components. (It makes my bike happy, and my husband not-so-happy.)

Your map is fantastic. It would be great to see how much of the Parking gets swallowed up if it were dragged a little further south (I'm thinking the lot behind LCBO, the parking lot on Regina where the LAV is, and the lot behind Angie’s). I bet it would encompass all of those and still touch the area of UpTown where the new bike lanes are.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Viewfromthe42 - 12-29-2017

I'd definitely enjoy a video or visual article on how to winter bike. I fear that I'll do one part but not another, regret it, and suffer for it. It always feels in my mind like I need tires I don't have, cleaning equipment I don't have, shoes, gloves, headgear I don't have, and getting it all together feels daunting. That said, I'm doing the foolish New Year's move into a Downtown house with a backyard basement entry, so it might be the best kind of place to winter cycle from.

The map is great. The parking suggestions playing at Princess before previews compare very favourably to distances you frequently have to park to get into Galaxy. The hard part is that I don't think anyone who says parking in UpTown is too scarce, or too far, actually understand what they're saying. Their reasons for not shopping UpTown are either something else, or unknown even to them. Strip away their beliefs, and many will stick to their view even without anything to back it up.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 12-29-2017

I use the same chain cleaner, Iain, and agree that it's a lot easier to maintain a clean drive train with it. For deeper cleans, I find a toothbrush is handy for getting into the jockey wheels (and sometimes a screwdriver when it gets full of mud and grass), and the rear cassette is easiest to clean with a rag, taking the rear wheel off entirely. My main motivation for cleaning it regularly is the noise - I can't stand it when I don't have a silent drivetrain. It drives me nuts.

I don't get out very much in this sort of weather, but one tip for winter riding I've heard repeatedly - two pairs of gloves can be handy so that you can switch into a dry pair when you stop riding.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 10:56 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The hard part is that I don't think anyone who says parking in UpTown is too scarce, or too far, actually understand what they're saying. Their reasons for not shopping UpTown are either something else, or unknown even to them. Strip away their beliefs, and many will stick to their view even without anything to back it up.

So true ...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - creative - 12-29-2017

What the map also shows is that most parking at the mall is less than half a city block to the entrance into the climate controlled mall. Winter happens and people don't want to venture outside any more than is necessary. Summer is a different story but winter is 6 months long! Just sharing a different point of view. Not discrediting the opinions of others or in any way putting down those who created the map.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Viewfromthe42 - 12-29-2017

It's a legitimate point of view to have. Few want to think that a couple minutes of cold air is why they put their neighbours out of business to shop at Zellers Sears Eatons Target Wal-Mart and The Bay, but the level of effort we're willing to put out is incredible. It's a bit of the inverse of Pascal's Wager, where we aren't willing to make the tiniest effort, even though this miniscule effort to us means the world/livelihood of so many people we know. It's a sad, sad state, but it's one we're all too happy to put ourselves in.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - creative - 12-29-2017

So "I'll listen to your opinion, but you are still wrong!" Par for the course for those few on this forum who like to dominate it and ruin it for the majority. Maybe we should get back in the topic of cycling or is that an opposing opinion?