Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 07:54 PM)jamincan Wrote: FWIW, it's pretty easy to shift a normal derailleur when stopped if you have clipless pedals. Simply engage the front brake and push your handlebars forward to raise the rear tire off the ground, then shift to your hearts content while driving the chain with the foot that is still clipped in.

One of the reasons I still prefer old-school toe clips.  Smile

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 07:54 PM)jamincan Wrote: FWIW, it's pretty easy to shift a normal derailleur when stopped if you have clipless pedals. Simply engage the front brake and push your handlebars forward to raise the rear tire off the ground, then shift to your hearts content while driving the chain with the foot that is still clipped in.

Interesting! I hadn't thought of that.  Still, that doesn't apply to most commuters.  To harken back to the previous discussion, that's more of a cyclist thing Tongue.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 09-26-2017

The simplicity and efficiency of chains and sprockets appeals more to me. Easily serviceable, cheap to replace... belt-drive bikes need couplers or unconventional designs since belts don't come apart. I appreciate an IGH but I find a single speed or fixed gear to be more reliable for heavy winter use... stainless steel chains solve the rust issue and a chaincase can keep them lubricated too. The only time I have to shift at a stand-still is after an unexpected stop... I tend to gear down as I approach a stop if I'm on a geared bike so I'm in the right gear when I start up again. The cool thing about bikes is that it's pretty easy for anyone to get what they want out of them.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 09-27-2017

(09-26-2017, 09:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Interesting! I hadn't thought of that.  Still, that doesn't apply to most commuters.  To harken back to the previous discussion, that's more of a cyclist thing Tongue.

A lot of people actually commute with clipless pedals and there are a number of more casual cycling shoes targeted toward urban commuters.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 09-27-2017

Yep - I'm the only person on a bike at my office who doesn't commute clipless into work. The other 4 guys all do. I'm curious to try it, but I've no idea how to do that. It seems you just have to buy into it and do it and make the change.

(Should we change the title of this thread to People on Bikes in Waterloo Region? Wink)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - chutten - 09-27-2017

Clipless... those are the ones you put in sideways then rotate your foot to make the connection?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 09-27-2017

That's the gist of it. Shimano makes the most common styles, SPD which is a recessed metal cleat that allows for walkable shoes and an SPD-SL that is a bigger plastic cleat that sits proud of the sole and isn't really meant for walking. SPD makes the most sense for most riders, I use it and I do really long distance rides without any hotspots or any other issues... it's nice to be able to stop and walk around a store or if one ever has to push the bike.

It's pretty easy to learn, I just leaned my bike against a wall and practised clipping in and out until it seemed like I had the hang of it. That being said when I worked in town I just commuted in my work clothes, 10km in steel toe boots wasn't a problem. In fact I did a lot of long distance riding without the clipless. I rode for a few years with just a pair of basic SPD shoes with the cleat covers installed and it worked really well for me. If I started commuting by bicycle again I wouldn't wear my clipless shoes, doesn't seem worth the hassle for a short ride.

I've always had trouble with the term "clipless". To me, clipless means no clips - in other words, regular flat pedals!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 09-27-2017

This is a skill I haven't learned yet. I've fallen over enough that I almost always unlock both feet before coming to a complete stop.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 09:14 AM)Canard Wrote: I've always had trouble with the term "clipless". To me, clipless means no clips - in other words, regular flat pedals!

But it *does* mean no clips. Clips are the ones that strap around your shoes. Tongue

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 09-27-2017

(09-27-2017, 09:14 AM)Canard Wrote: I've always had trouble with the term "clipless". To me, clipless means no clips - in other words, regular flat pedals!

I've always thought clip-in made more sense too! This is how the original toe clips worked which is what the first clipless systems replaces, getting ride of the toe cages and straps.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Markster - 09-27-2017

Seriously! Clipless means... shoes that clip in??? (But in a different way??!)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - creative - 09-27-2017

Once you get used to them, clips improve your cycling efficiency immensely as you not only get power from your down stroke but also your up stroke.

In other words, you get tired twice as fast?! Big Grin

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 09-27-2017

But you're twice as efficient, so it balances out.