Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 07-05-2017

All well and good, but why not remove the one lane of Moore that is unused?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 07-06-2017

Guelph have borrowed the measuring device from Ottawa and will begin enforcing the 1 meter passing law. I wonder what it would take to get WRPS to do the same.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1161889&binId=1.1147261&playlistPageNum=1

Interestingly enough, I suspect that police marked bikes will get a wider birth (and vastly less road rage + honking) thank your average cyclist. That being said, I have seen WRPS bike police occasionally riding in a fashion as to encourage unsafe overtakes.

Additionally, this article is posted on Facebook....this is going to be a frustrating evening.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Markster - 07-06-2017

(07-06-2017, 02:38 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Additionally, this article is posted on Facebook....this is going to be a frustrating evening.

You don't need to correct everyone on the internet

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 07-06-2017

Pfft.

[Image: 7i6RnNT.png]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 07-13-2017

Hoping our resident by-law expert will answer this one.

What constitutes no standing vs. no stopping vs. no parking?

For instance, is the “Chubbs Post hole and fence” truck seen here doing anything wrong? There is no parking allowed, but stopping is allowed outside of 11:30AM to 01:30PM and 4:30PM to 6:00PM.

So why is stopping even allowed in bike lanes at all (e.g Park between William and Allen)?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 07-13-2017

I would call that truck 'parked' given that its trailer gate is down, so straight-up in violation.

I do question why stopping is permitted at any time, yes.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-13-2017

So this actually touches on something I was wondering about this week. You often see cars stopped (and even parked) at the curb and blocking the painted bicycle lane, as in the posted link. Are they in fact supposed to stop outside the painted line, where stopping is permitted? I have never seen anyone stop that way, which is not surprising.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 07-14-2017

(07-13-2017, 11:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So this actually touches on something I was wondering about this week.  You often see cars stopped (and even parked) at the curb and blocking the painted bicycle lane, as in the posted link.  Are they in fact supposed to stop outside the painted line, where stopping is permitted?  I have never seen anyone stop that way, which is not surprising.

Shouldn’t be allowed. It’s a traffic lane, period.

If it were up to me I would install those little plastic flags (like bollards, but with no actual stopping ability — they would just bend over) along all the bike lane lines to clearly tell cars that they have no business at the curb ever for even one second.

And all major roads would eventually be re-built with segregated bike lanes, eliminating the problem entirely.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 07-14-2017

But... you are allowed to stop in most traffic lanes. And you are allowed to stop in bike lanes as well.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 11:59 AM)timc Wrote: But... you are allowed to stop in most traffic lanes. And you are allowed to stop in bike lanes as well.

But even if you are a car and the line between the traffic lane and bicycle lane is solid?  That's where I'm in doubt.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 07-14-2017

According to my research, you can stop in the bike lane if you're picking up/dropping off passengers.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 01:41 PM)timc Wrote: According to my research, you can stop in the bike lane if you're picking up/dropping off passengers.

Interesting, I had wondered about that.

And I should add that, while I’m pretty much a hardliner when it comes to cars occupying bike lanes, even I can’t see a problem with a bona fide quick stop to pick up or drop off passengers. It’s when the driver sits around in the lane for a minute or more and actually inconveniences a whole stream of cyclists that there is a problem.

So I’m not sure I would really support flags demarcating bike lanes but I do think that “quick” stops (as opposed to quick stops) should be enforced fairly rigorously.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 06:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: So I’m not sure I would really support flags demarcating bike lanes but I do think that “quick” stops (as opposed to quick stops) should be enforced fairly rigorously.

As they should be in regular traffic lanes, as well.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Elmira Guy - 07-15-2017

Bike lane lines have been finished on Lincoln Rd.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 07-16-2017

New surprise MUT on Hayward!