Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-27-2017

A little bit outside of Waterloo Region, but today we rode the LE&N Rail Trail, between Brantford and Waterdown. Clasher I believe you had suggested this several pages back - it was fantastic! Paved for the first 16 km out of Brantford and butter-smooth. Further South it's a fine-crushed gravel (not limestone, not sure what it was) but very well maintained. Highly recommended!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 05-28-2017

(05-27-2017, 09:18 PM)Canard Wrote: A little bit outside of Waterloo Region, but today we rode the LE&N Rail Trail, between Brantford and Waterdown.  Clasher I believe you had suggested this several pages back - it was fantastic!  Paved for the first 16 km out of Brantford and butter-smooth.  Further South it's a fine-crushed gravel (not limestone, not sure what it was) but very well maintained.  Highly recommended!

Do you mean Waterford or Waterdown? Waterford is where the old steel bridge over Nanticoke creek (and the ponds) is, there is the other trail that starts in Brantford and goes to Hamilton and it passes kind of close to Waterdown when it crosses highway 52. The section between highway 52 and McMaster is spectacular riding and there's easy enough connections to the other urban trails in Hamilton. Either way glad to hear it's in good shape... hopefully when I'm off work again I can check out the section south of Brantford, the old bridge in Waterford is on my list of places to visit.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-28-2017

Whoops, Waterford indeed is what I meant. And agreed, the trail between Brantford and Hamilton is fantastic, we've riden it a few times now!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-28-2017

Almost got home from my ride today and remembered it was KW Bikefest! Whipped around and headed back downtown. The turnout looked fantastic! I'm not much for crowds so I didn't stay long, but things looked really good and happenin'.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 05-28-2017

It took a while for us to be able to walk across King Street!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 05-30-2017

Waterloo Council approved bike lanes for Lincoln Road at last night's meeting. Not everyone thought it was a good idea.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7342639-bike-lanes-aren-t-good-for-lincoln-road-say-residents/

There are so many inconsistencies in these arguments.

"Narrowing the road will make it less safe for kids walking to school." How?

"It will be more difficult to pull out of driveways, in fear of hitting cyclists.", yet "I have yet to see a bike travel down Lincoln Road".

The biggest head-scratcher might be this: "We don’t need bike lanes on Lincoln Road," said Jeff Percival. "Cars, including buses, drive over the speed limit and people don’t like to cycle on that road." People don't like to cycle on roads where they have to ride with fast-moving traffic. Bike lanes would make it safer for people to ride alongside the traffic. The narrowing of the road may also lead people to drive slower.

People need to be dragged out of their car-centric world. Really, I think it mostly comes down to "there won’t be room for on-street parking". But most of the houses on Lincoln Road have large driveways, and on-street parking isn't really much used. When necessary, there is plenty of parking on adjoining streets.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 05-30-2017

Good to see that the council took positive action. Lincoln has the space, and as you say, residents have substantial driveway parking capacity (most houses have 4+ spaces on the driveway and/or garages). Google's satellite images don't show a single car parked on the street. Additional trail linkage is very good.

My question is -- why will they stop the lanes at Mayfield Ave?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Markster - 05-30-2017

(05-30-2017, 04:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: My question is -- why will they stop the lanes at Mayfield Ave?
Huh, I thought they were going to Bluevale. I know they can't go to University yet, because there are space constraints fitting in all the turn lanes.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 05-30-2017

The resurfacing project that was done last year extends from Weber to Mayfield, so maybe that is why? I think you're right that there is room all the way to Bluevale. From what I've heard, the plan is to eventually extend the lanes to University but it will require more than just paint. That part of Lincoln is really messy.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 05-30-2017

Have the road crossings along the new MUT beside Caroline been designated as cross-rides yet, or legally I am supposed to stop and dismount at each intersection still?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-30-2017

(05-30-2017, 08:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Have the road crossings along the new MUT beside Caroline been designated as cross-rides yet, or legally I am supposed to stop and dismount at each intersection still?

Nope, same as every other MUT crossing in the region, save for the one on Erb and Laurel Trail.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 06-01-2017

http://www.570news.com/2017/05/31/cyclist-injured-crash-kitchener/

Sad

Part of my commute takes me right by here. Traffic on Wabanaki is pretty scary. It moves very fast and with just the "wrong" amount of gaps between cars, I find, making crossing terribly difficult (I'm on Wilson at that point though).

I wonder what happened.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Andy - 06-01-2017

Unfortunately, if she was crossing at that point on Wabanaki, the cyclist will be responsible, unless the vehicle was severely speeding.

On that hill, Wabanaki seems like one of those over designed roads where the outside lanes really aren't needed, which usually is good for cycling. If you are turning left from Wabanaki on to the trail at Wilson, that could be a problem...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-01-2017

(06-01-2017, 11:35 AM)Andy Wrote: Unfortunately, if she was crossing at that point on Wabanaki, the cyclist will be responsible, unless the vehicle was severely speeding.

On that hill, Wabanaki seems like one of those over designed roads where the outside lanes really aren't needed, which usually is good for cycling. If you are turning left from Wabanaki on to the trail at Wilson, that could be a problem...

Yeah, and if you've ever tried to walk there, utterly terrifying.  Wabanaki is a road designed for one, and only one user.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 06-01-2017

I hate that intersection too, people really do speed excessively trying to make the left from Wabanaki onto Wilson going north.