Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-29-2017

@Clasher @Pheidippides

You're right, I guess I misread that, the HTA does appear to require a forward light, which is surprising actually, given no rear light is required. That being said, that general requirements is met by almost no bikes on the road, and certainly met by no bike sold today--reflectors are usually included, reflective tape, definitely not, and almost never lights. So I don't really know how that applies.

That being said, the driver will have a very hard time arguing that a forward facing light would have prevented them from rear-ending the cyclist.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 03-29-2017

I now routinely ride here and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would not be riding on the MUT.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 09:25 PM)Canard Wrote: I now routinely ride here and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would not be riding on the MUT.

I realize that Canard has blocked me, so he won't see this answer, but I feel the question does deserver an answer, because it is an important one.

Why wouldn't a cyclist want to ride here?  Because some cyclists would find the MUT to be very inconvenient.  You're forced to stop and yield at all four, (six if you include the mall's access ramps), which is time consuming, commuter or athletic cyclists may prefer not to be forced to yield.  Worse, the design of the trail is highly deficient in several places.  Some places have poles in the middle of the trail, some crossings have very bumpy curbs and crossings which might be very uncomfortable on a road bike, and there's no bike crossings so, legally, nobody can cycle across the crossings, the crossings are also offset at a sharp angle and designed for pedestrians.

This is visible in this google street view link, just look at the line a cyclist must take through here.  It will be very slow and very bumpy.  I can average almost 40 km/h on the road, I cannot do that there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4946753,-80.5288012,3a,75y,130.68h,67.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svPbT7IoMmu1W6cU-HPat-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The sad thing is, that it's entirely possible to design a multi-use trail that doesn't suffer from these problems, which is entirely suitable for a high speed commuter or racing cyclist, but if we don't design it right, some cyclists will still wish to ride on the road.

bicycledutch.wordpress.com has a great deal of information on designing excellent cycling infrastructure that's suitable for all users.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 03-29-2017

Two City of Kitchener reports:

Wilson Ave bike lanes:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=1a7c35f3-b781-4bd9-b8c2-9cc71677ae88

Master plan update:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=3197153b-fb68-462f-9fcc-f5549ec3277a

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-30-2017

Speaking as a road cyclist, I avoid MUTs due to the fact that I don't like riding close to pedestrians. I have enough of a problem with people unpredictably stepping into my path as a runner that I wouldn't dare pass them on my bike. That's actually one thing I like about the proposed changes in Waterloo Park with the Laurel Trail; the pedestrians and cyclists seem to be separated there.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-30-2017

I tend not to ride on MUTs for the similar reasons- it's more because I am hesitant to ride close to people on foot because I think it could feel unpleasant for them. But, yes, there's always the possibility that someone just steps out in front of a bike, too.

danbrotherston's explanation of why someone might prefer King Street North to the trail is a pretty good one.

You're required to have a light during "unfavourable atmospheric conditions"? I never knew that...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Section ThirtyOne - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 10:37 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I tend not to ride on MUTs for the similar reasons- it's more because I am hesitant to ride close to people on foot because I think it could feel unpleasant for them. But, yes, there's always the possibility that someone just steps out in front of a bike, too.

danbrotherston's explanation of why someone might prefer King Street North to the trail is a pretty good one.

You're required to have a light during "unfavourable atmospheric conditions"? I never knew that...

I also tend to avoid MUTs when possible, but along that stretch (and I ride it almost every day in the summer) you can be sure i'm on the MUT. The inconvenience of the crossings, slower speed and bumpy sections (???) are much preferred to the alternative. It is a very dangerous section of road for cyclists, IMO.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 10:37 AM)MidTowner Wrote: You're required to have a light during "unfavourable atmospheric conditions"? I never knew that...

Riding in heavy rain or fog without a light probably qualifies one for a Darwin Award.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 10:37 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I tend not to ride on MUTs for the similar reasons- it's more because I am hesitant to ride close to people on foot because I think it could feel unpleasant for them. But, yes, there's always the possibility that someone just steps out in front of a bike, too.

As Jamincan and MidTowner point out, some cyclists prefer not to ride so close to pedestrians.  I feel this way sometimes, I'll sometimes avoid the IHT for this reason--even if I don't, I don't travel as fast as I would on a road.  Separating Peds/Cyclists is best as is being done in Waterloo Park (except at the most congested point for some reason), however, extra width and proper pavement markings (and pedestrian awareness) can help too.

I have seen shared facilities like this work (especially when they're linear), there must be sufficient ROW and there has to be clear markings, but most of all users have to be aware of each other.  There do seem to be a number of people using the IHT who are just shocked out of their boots to see a cyclist.

That being said, I don't think it's such a big issue for the MUT along King (as well as some other places, like Ira Needles or Fischer-Hallman), as it is not very busy either with pedestrians or cyclists, so you're unlikely to pass anyone, let alone a big crowd.

That section, there's a good chance I'd ride on the MUT as well, because well, highway interchange, but many other places I'm inclined not too, especially when the design is poor.  

I utterly hate hate hate the Weber St. MUT for this reason, the crossings are designed for a narrow sidewalk, nobody put any thought into it being a bike facility, but on the other hand, I'm also inclined not to ride next to the concrete wall of the underpass.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 03-30-2017

"Riding in heavy rain or fog without a light probably qualifies one for a Darwin Award."

Hopefully not! There's no doubt it's sensible to have a light during rain (any amount). But I honestly didn't know that it was required by law.

I have to admit that I'm mostly a fair weather cyclist.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 04-01-2017

Proposal for a feasibility and and design study for a pilot network of separated bike lanes is up for discussion at regional council on Tuesday:
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Council/Detail/2017-04-04-Planning-and-Works-Committee/Agenda%20-%20April%204,%202017#page=106

So a study, before even piloting.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 04-01-2017

(04-01-2017, 11:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Proposal for a feasibility and and design study for a pilot network of separated bike lanes is up for discussion at regional council on Tuesday:
http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Council/Detail/2017-04-04-Planning-and-Works-Committee/Agenda%20-%20April%204,%202017#page=106

So a study, before even piloting.

Well, the study is to determine where to put the pilot how to design it, and how to measure the pilot to validate whether it is a success and should be made permanent.  That is a lot of work and costs money.  It's very similar to the model used successfully in other cities like Calgary and Edmonton.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 04-09-2017

I popped over to London today for a 40 km ride along their wonderful waterfront trail system. Highly recommended!

Came across this really funky intersection at University and Richmond - thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing it...

https://goo.gl/maps/HkYSsK7u8g12

It's a "T" intersection for motorists, but a full "+" intersection for cyclists. I rode through it both ways (first in the direction the link shows).

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 04-10-2017

As a cyclist, how do you cross that intersection? It looks like a good case for a bike box, but maybe it's not so difficult in person.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 04-10-2017

See that's the thing!  I wasn't sure where I should be.  I was coming from the West (inside Western).  So there were 2 traffic lanes - a right-turn and a left-turn.  I kept as far to the right as I could on the red (waved a couple of cars through that weren't sure if they should go around me to turn right on red - sure can, go for it) and then when it went green, I just made sure the person behind me (a city bus) knew my intentions.

Coming back the other way (into Western), I made good eye contact with the driver who was opposite of me, waiting to turn left. We both waved at each other, so a big positive experience overall.  I love when stuff like that happens and it all just works out and everyone's happy!

I also really liked this section: https://goo.gl/maps/mvoJntqm2z62

...It's like our LRT gauntlet tracks, but for bikes. Big Grin