Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 06-14-2023

They should give it to Red Raccoon bicycle rescue to use!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 06-15-2023

The IHT is disappointing right now. Along with periodic closures on the Spur Line trail, there is at times technically no proper all-ages cycle routes between Kitchener and Waterloo. Although practically, the closures are easy to ignore.

1) The IHT is closed between Union and Gage, for some work at the Glasgow St crossing. I ignored the closure, as was able to make it around the Glasgow St construction by going maybe 5 meters out of my way. There is absolutely no reason a detour specifically around the construction couldn't have been set up with some wooden boards over the grass. Or even a detour on to Eden Ave connecting with the Glasgow St MUT would be more reasonable than asking people to take Belmont St.

2) A surprise to me, the IHT is also closed between Victoria St and West Ave. The expectation here seems to be to just walk if you have a bike, since they also blocked the entrance back on to the IHT at West Ave unless you are coming from the sidewalk. I also ignored this closure, and again some wooden boards could have completely mitigated this issue.

[Image: ExYNSiw.jpg]

3) The IHT as you enter Victoria Park still has "Henry Sturm Trail Detour Ends" signs, even though the West Ave entrance is blocked, unless you were on the sidewalk.

None of these are huge. It just seems like no on involved actually uses or depends on the IHT as a piece of transportation infrastructure.

4) The Ontario St bike lane still has no signals at Charles St heading south (towards Joseph St). Practically, you can see the old vehicular signals through the bags they put over top, but this can't be a legal arrangement...

5) Lastly, since I complained enough: I just want to mention how incredible the Iron Horse Trail is when it's not closed. It's always magical right around sunset... There is no better way to get around than this.

[Image: iwYz98N.jpg]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-16-2023

Do you know what they are doing at West? I remember just fuming about that crossing, it was so aggressively mediocre...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 06-16-2023

(06-16-2023, 12:52 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Do you know what they are doing at West? I remember just fuming about that crossing, it was so aggressively mediocre...

Not really sure, but it all looked related to the giant slab of asphalt next to the Chinese restaurant (never took notice of how ugly and grey that is before...). It doesn't appear related to the actual trail crossing from what I recall.

Here is a bad photo that doesn't show much https://i.imgur.com/GIGE17r.jpg

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 06-17-2023

(06-15-2023, 10:16 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: 4) The Ontario St bike lane still has no signals at Charles St heading south (towards Joseph St). Practically, you can see the old vehicular signals through the bags they put over top, but this can't be a legal arrangement...

I don't understand these bags at all. They left them on for both Ontario and Gaukel, when both are to be permanently closed for cars (well, Ontario only in one direction). At best they are just confusing ... why not simply remove them?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 06-17-2023

If anything, it's probably that they just haven't sent a crew out to take them off. At least the ones on Gaukel, anyway.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 06-17-2023

I drove over the new IHT raised crossing at Glasgow St, and it's a much more typical speed bump unlike what they put in on Mill St.

Yet to bike over it, but hopefully it's a smooth trail transition unlike the nonsense at Henry Sturm and Patricia Ave.

(06-17-2023, 03:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 10:16 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: 4) The Ontario St bike lane still has no signals at Charles St heading south (towards Joseph St). Practically, you can see the old vehicular signals through the bags they put over top, but this can't be a legal arrangement...

I don't understand these bags at all. They left them on for both Ontario and Gaukel, when both are to be permanently closed for cars (well, Ontario only in one direction). At best they are just confusing ... why not simply remove them?

I emailed Darren Kropf about the Ontario St lights, and he said he has forwarded it to the Region for an update, as the lights are their responsibility. He said "signal upgrades" so presumably the old lights are supposed to come out, and a new bicycle light should go in? I guess bureaucracy doesn't provide an option for using the existing lights in the meantime...

I assume something similar is happening at Gaukel, since the street hasn't been permanently reconstructed. It's still "temporarily" closed.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-18-2023

(06-17-2023, 04:30 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I drove over the new IHT raised crossing at Glasgow St, and it's a much more typical speed bump unlike what they put in on Mill St.

Yet to bike over it, but hopefully it's a smooth trail transition unlike the nonsense at Henry Sturm and Patricia Ave.

I know that their goal is to build proper raised crossings that are a real speed bump for cars and smooth for cyclists. Staff agreed with me finally that what they did at Patricia was worse than nothing for cyclists.

For Mill, I was told that was a contractor error and it was supposed to be corrected, but it seems that it has not happened and I assume will not happen. Not surprising sadly.

(06-17-2023, 04:30 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 03:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't understand these bags at all. They left them on for both Ontario and Gaukel, when both are to be permanently closed for cars (well, Ontario only in one direction). At best they are just confusing ... why not simply remove them?

I emailed Darren Kropf about the Ontario St lights, and he said he has forwarded it to the Region for an update, as the lights are their responsibility. He said "signal upgrades" so presumably the old lights are supposed to come out, and a new bicycle light should go in? I guess bureaucracy doesn't provide an option for using the existing lights in the meantime...

I assume something similar is happening at Gaukel, since the street hasn't been permanently reconstructed. It's still "temporarily" closed.

I think the traffic signal engineers at the region are some of the most obtuse people about their role. We had the department lead come speak to ATAC...it was like trying to talk to a brick wall. They insist they consider pedestrians in their planning, and even when we asked "this signal doesn't seem to" they just repeat the same answer. They ignored all inquiry about bagging the ped signal at King/Moore that protects pedestrians from vehicles that might drive through the retaining wall.

So it is of zero surprise that they aren't making this a priority. They simply don't care, or are in capable of understand why this matters.

This is the problem with North America...even if we look at just one of our major crises--broken transportation--it itself is composed of hundreds of self-reinforcing problems. There is no silver bullet because we're facing off against hundreds of opponents in every department.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 01:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think the traffic signal engineers at the region are some of the most obtuse people about their role. We had the department lead come speak to ATAC...it was like trying to talk to a brick wall. They insist they consider pedestrians in their planning, and even when we asked "this signal doesn't seem to" they just repeat the same answer. They ignored all inquiry about bagging the ped signal at King/Moore that protects pedestrians from vehicles that might drive through the retaining wall.

So it is of zero surprise that they aren't making this a priority. They simply don't care, or are in capable of understand why this matters.

This is the problem with North America...even if we look at just one of our major crises--broken transportation--it itself is composed of hundreds of self-reinforcing problems. There is no silver bullet because we're facing off against hundreds of opponents in every department.

Region aside, I'm just surprised the Ontario St bike lane was opened without a solution, even temporary, in place for the signals. Surely the city has a final checklist to confirm before opening it. Or maybe they understand the bureaucratic/political game they are playing and did this consciously.

The situation with the Regional engineers is indeed frustrating though. How does this change? Just complaining to council members?

Aside question that just came to me, for anyone who knows: Who would be responsible the bicycle lights in a project like this (design, procurement, positioning, timing, even deciding to have them in the first place, etc)? Is it split between the city and regional staff as it crosses boundaries of responsibility, or entirely up to the region?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 02:39 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-18-2023, 01:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think the traffic signal engineers at the region are some of the most obtuse people about their role. We had the department lead come speak to ATAC...it was like trying to talk to a brick wall. They insist they consider pedestrians in their planning, and even when we asked "this signal doesn't seem to" they just repeat the same answer. They ignored all inquiry about bagging the ped signal at King/Moore that protects pedestrians from vehicles that might drive through the retaining wall.

Region aside, I'm just surprised the Ontario St bike lane was opened without a solution, even temporary, in place for the signals. Surely the city has a final checklist to confirm before opening it. Or maybe they understand the bureaucratic/political game they are playing and did this consciously.

The situation with the Regional engineers is indeed frustrating though. How does this change? Just complaining to council members?

Aside question that just came to me, for anyone who knows: Who would be responsible the bicycle lights in a project like this (design, procurement, positioning, timing, even deciding to have them in the first place, etc)? Is it split between the city and regional staff as it crosses boundaries of responsibility, or entirely up to the region?

Procurement, timing, warrants, are definitely regional tasks.  Design and positioning, I am uncertain, it could be under the purview of the city with regional approval.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 06-20-2023

This is what they have done at West Ave. and Victoria. It makes it easier to cross at the intersection with the traffic lights rather than using the trail crossing, which is not as safe. (Well, easier except for the orange scooters blocking the way.)    

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 03:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: This is what they have done at West Ave. and Victoria. It makes it easier to cross at the intersection with the traffic lights rather than using the trail crossing, which is not as safe. (Well, easier except for the orange scooters blocking the way.)

I honestly don't understand what the difference is. I think all that was paved before was it not? I think that whole intersection, staff just don't seem to have any idea how to deal with it.

(06-20-2023, 04:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 03:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: This is what they have done at West Ave. and Victoria. It makes it easier to cross at the intersection with the traffic lights rather than using the trail crossing, which is not as safe. (Well, easier except for the orange scooters blocking the way.)

I honestly don't understand what the difference is. I think all that was paved before was it not? I think that whole intersection, staff just don't seem to have any idea how to deal with it.

They did some underground work as well. They dug a hole for something (behind the picture), maybe electrical, I don't know.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 04:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

It was all paved before. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell, except that the Trail Crossing sign is now missing (but I'll assume they just haven't replaced it yet).

And this paved area is definitely not a MUT, nor is there one on Victoria St, so legally this is not a cycling alternative to the regular crossings.

(06-20-2023, 04:35 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 04:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I honestly don't understand what the difference is. I think all that was paved before was it not? I think that whole intersection, staff just don't seem to have any idea how to deal with it.

It was all paved before. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell, except that the Trail Crossing sign is now missing (but I'll assume they just haven't replaced it yet).

And this paved area is definitely not a MUT, nor is there one on Victoria St, so legally this is not a cycling alternative to the regular crossings.

Well, it does lead to the traffic light where crossing feels safer than the trail crossing. There is a painted bike lane on Victoria. It would be great if they built a MUT from the intersection to the IHT. There is enough room, I think.