Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkmelissa - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 12:49 PM)Acitta Wrote: Cyclist struck by vehicle at Kitchener roundabout

Ottawa Street South and Homer Watson Boulevard.

I regularly cycle through this roundabout. You have to be very careful because cars exit the roundabout at high speed. Once a driver saw me at the last second and came to a screeching halt, though I had seen him and was prepared to let him pass before crossing. Though there are signs that say stop for pedestrians (nothing about cyclists), one cannot assume that the drivers have seen you and will stop.

My spouse used to cycle through this intersection often and has no shortage of 'close calls'. Over time and trying different things, he found that he had less (not none, but less) close calls if he took the lane and cycled through the roundabout as opposed to acting like a pedestrian and crossing at each section. Of course, not many people feel comfortable (understandably) in doing that. Fortunately we moved and it's no longer an issue for us, but clearly it's still a problem.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 05:26 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 12:49 PM)Acitta Wrote: Cyclist struck by vehicle at Kitchener roundabout

I regularly cycle through this roundabout. You have to be very careful because cars exit the roundabout at high speed. Once a driver saw me at the last second and came to a screeching halt, though I had seen him and was prepared to let him pass before crossing. Though there are signs that say stop for pedestrians (nothing about cyclists), one cannot assume that the drivers have seen you and will stop.

My spouse used to cycle through this intersection often and has no shortage of 'close calls'. Over time and trying different things, he found that he had less (not none, but less) close calls if he took the lane and cycled through the roundabout as opposed to acting like a pedestrian and crossing at each section. Of course, not many people feel comfortable (understandably) in doing that. Fortunately we moved and it's no longer an issue for us, but clearly it's still a problem.
I used to cycle through it when it first opened, but there is often too much traffic to do that safely. I had a driver scream at me, "are you crazy!". It is safer to wait at the crossing for traffic to clear or someone stops to allow me to cross. I am not in a hurry, I can wait. Of course, it would be better if the intersection was better designed, but until then, I prefer to be cautious.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-30-2022

That is because cyclists do not have the right of way (in fact, are illegally crossing even when you wait for cars to pass).

Of course, our engineers know and built it this way and do not care.

Which makes the "cyclists are scofflaws" oh so rich.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-30-2022

(11-29-2022, 05:26 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote:

My partner Tessa was struck by a vehicle nearby (at the highway ramp) while walking home from work one night.

She was looking for a new job the next week...

The area is beyond pedestrian unfriendly, it is downright dangerous, and our engineers should be held responsible.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Chris - 11-30-2022

Some new directional signage at Weber and Breigthaupt along the MUT.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 12-02-2022

Nice signage! Our trails need to be better marked. Not just the main ones in the core, but even city trails like the Dom Cardillo trail.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 12-06-2022

Apparently Ontario is cracking down on drivers who kill vulnerable road users. $2000 fine instead of the old $500 fine, amazing!

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/12/05/no-jail-time-for-cement-truck-driver-convicted-in-death-of-toronto-cyclist.html

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 12-06-2022

I am so tired of "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to kill them." being justification for gross negligence causing death.

If I was playing with a gun and accidentally murdered someone, I wouldn't be getting off with a 2000 dollar fine.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 12-06-2022

JFC! Kinda undercuts the point:

"Six months after Offutt’s death, the Star’s Ben Spurr reported Cote had a history of traffic violations, and continued to drive after hitting and killing Offutt, and within four months had been charged with three more offences under the provincial Highway Traffic Act."

He wasn't that sorry if he wasn't willing to improve his driving in the slightest.

Sorry guys...I just hate this so much.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 12-06-2022

(12-06-2022, 03:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: JFC! Kinda undercuts the point:

"Six months after Offutt’s death, the Star’s Ben Spurr reported Cote had a history of traffic violations, and continued to drive after hitting and killing Offutt, and within four months had been charged with three more offences under the provincial Highway Traffic Act."

He wasn't that sorry if he wasn't willing to improve his driving in the slightest.

Sorry guys...I just hate this so much.

How bad must his driving be to be charged with 3 more offences in 4 months? The police aren’t everywhere and even where they are they won’t necessarily enforce every single violation they see.

Sounds like he should lose his license permanently. If found driving, 10 years in prison. Not so much as a punishment, more just to make sure he doesn’t drive.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - bravado - 12-15-2022

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/12/15/cyclist-charged-after-he-was-hit-by-a-vehicle-while-crossing-at-a-kitchener-roundabout.html

Outrageous nonsense if you ask me. The region builds a multi use trail and then expects people to dismount at the roundabout? If you dismount, you spend even more time in the intersection!

Also, what fucking use is a bell at the most dangerous intersection in the Region?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 12-15-2022

It feels like every time a cyclist is struck in the region, people wait with bated breath to hear whether they were riding across a crosswalk, because it excuses absolutely anything the driver did. It doesn't matter if they blew through or rode at a crawling pace, it's illegal and therefore the collision was their fault.

And how petty is that horn charge? Fuck you, WRPS.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 12-15-2022

Yes...well...our engineers have washed their hands of this...

How do we fight back against this engineering negligence.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - plam - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 02:55 PM)bravado Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/12/15/cyclist-charged-after-he-was-hit-by-a-vehicle-while-crossing-at-a-kitchener-roundabout.html

Outrageous nonsense if you ask me. The region builds a multi use trail and then expects people to dismount at the roundabout? If you dismount, you spend even more time in the intersection!

Also, what fucking use is a bell at the most dangerous intersection in the Region?

Argh!

Quote:"I think there should be something done to widen up the roads here," a pedestrian in the area of the crash told CTV News. "It's pretty dangerous with lots of traffic. There should be something done soon because people are getting hurt."

OK, so random pedestrian shouldn't know, but at least engineers should.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bytor - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 04:45 PM)plam Wrote:
Quote:"I think there should be something done to widen up the roads here," a pedestrian in the area of the crash told CTV News. "It's pretty dangerous with lots of traffic. There should be something done soon because people are getting hurt."

OK, so random pedestrian shouldn't know, but at least engineers should.

Where did that quote come from?