Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 03-07-2022

(03-06-2022, 09:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Narrowing the driveway and squaring off the entrance would also reduce the speed drivers enter and exit the driveway.

Yeah, but that would slow down car traffic.

Tongue

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-07-2022

(03-06-2022, 10:33 PM)bravado Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 09:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am not an engineer, which means that I am not qualified to sign plans.

But I feel that I am more qualified to answer this question than our engineers are, since they actually build stuff like this, that is just utterly incompetent.

The first thing that should happen, is the path should be visually distinct from the driveway.  They are both in asphalt right now, drivers don't have any reason to even know they are crossing paths with other road users.

Visual distinction could be the dotted line you mention, but even better would be a stronger signal using colour (most Dutch paths are red, we prefer green apparently.

Raising the path above the driveway would further strengthen this distinction for drivers.

Narrowing the driveway and squaring off the entrance would also reduce the speed drivers enter and exit the driveway.

Moving the path back from the road, so leave enough space between the path and the road for a driver to wait (allowing drivers to focus on the path, then after focus on the road).

Disallowing driveways on busy roads (which creates stroads) would make getting in and out of the driveway easier so the cognitive load on drivers is reduced giving them more attention to spend on you.

And I mean, this is off the top of my head. It's not like this is rocket science. It's not that our engineers couldn't figure this out (they certainly don't know it), but they don't care...this path meets all their engineering standards, so they aren't liable if you get hit, and it meets the requirements council gave them for active transportation without taking space from cars. That is their ONLY concern, they see this as a major success. Even better, they will later use the poor uptake of this infrastructure to justify NOT building more infra in the future.

What's even crazier is that the gas station has another entrance on the other side, they didn't close a single one to keep pedestrians and cyclists safe. This little miserable plaza has 3 entrances and they didn't get rid of any. The used car dealership next to it still has 2!

Yup! Yeah, our plazas always have lots of entrances like that, and I see why, it makes them easier to access, but makes our roads (stroads) much worse. To be fair, our engineers do understand the traffic flow disruptions that this causes (maybe they know about safety too, but don't really care), but even car traffic flow is not a big enough reason to limit access. It's a fundamentally broken transportation system.

What really bothers me about our engineers is the standards they blindly follow. There is a standard which says an MUT is acceptable if there are fewer than x driveways in y meters. But they refuse to make a distinction between a high frequency high speed driveway for a gas station and a tiny residential driveway that carries two trips a day at best.

Which is why they will put a MUT on a road like that, despite the obvious danger, but WON'T put it in a safer place that just happens to have homes on it.

It's crazy...I've had this conversation with them, and they literally just repeated the standard back at me. I have zero respect for these folks at that point.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-07-2022

Re: going to Cambridge - it largely depends where in Cambridge you're going. The route via Wilson/Old Mill/Blair is about as direct as you can get when heading to Galt. Once you're over the river and in Blair, it's practically an expressway - no cars, no stoplights. Just zoom on down until you enter downtown Galt.

If you want to go to Sportsworld, I would recommend taking the pedestrian bridge over the Grand River near the Doon campus. It's indirect, and there are some really simple obvious improvements the city could make to make it more practical, but this is the city we live in now, and it's a safe, reasonable route.

If you want to go to Preston, I recommend taking the above route to Fountain and then if continuing to Hespeler taking the MUT from Riverside Park along the Speed River. There is a MUT along Fountain and the MUT along the Speed River, while gravel, is generally well maintained. More direct alternate road routes into Hespeler from Kitchener aren't great on a bike.

Hidden Valley - Galt
Sportsworld Detour
Preston/Hespeler Detour

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 03-07-2022

(03-07-2022, 08:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's crazy...I've had this conversation with them, and they literally just repeated the standard back at me. I have zero respect for these folks at that point.

Blind rule-followers are bad engineers. Engineering is supposed to have a large element of creativity and thoughtfulness. Isambard Kingdom Brunel is probably spinning enough in his grave to generate electricity for half of England.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - bravado - 03-07-2022

(03-07-2022, 11:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 08:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's crazy...I've had this conversation with them, and they literally just repeated the standard back at me. I have zero respect for these folks at that point.

Blind rule-followers are bad engineers. Engineering is supposed to have a large element of creativity and thoughtfulness. Isambard Kingdom Brunel is probably spinning enough in his grave to generate electricity for half of England.

I'd thought I would continue the pile-on here with an aerial maps screenshot of driveways that cross the MUT circled in red in this ~100m section of MUT next to Franklin road. They spent quite a lot of money and time on this!

[Image: OMRT3Jc.png]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 03-07-2022

(03-06-2022, 09:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: I don't bike in Waterloo Region much because it's still dangerous so I'm not familiar with much of the infrastructure here, but it does indeed seem negligent they would not add some sort of signage or similar to warn drivers.

Around here, you're more likely to see a sign warning cyclists of turning vehicles. Sad

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - bravado - 03-25-2022

(03-07-2022, 09:36 PM)timc Wrote:
(03-06-2022, 09:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: I don't bike in Waterloo Region much because it's still dangerous so I'm not familiar with much of the infrastructure here, but it does indeed seem negligent they would not add some sort of signage or similar to warn drivers.

Around here, you're more likely to see a sign warning cyclists of turning vehicles. Sad

On my adventures today in Cambridge I did see literally that… nothing like local governments abdicating their responsibilities.

[Image: Ji2rvZk_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - nms - 03-28-2022

Or more likely, "Short of a bike activated spike strip, there is no way that we can account for every car coming around the corner, so please be careful"

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-29-2022

(03-28-2022, 07:50 PM)nms Wrote: Or more likely, "Short of a bike activated spike strip, there is no way that we can account for every car coming around the corner, so please be careful"

Account for *every* car, maybe not, but they don't put that sign *everywhere* they only put it places where there are problems. They could, for example, traffic calm the approaching road so that drivers are travelling more slowly and have more time to react.

Instead we get a sign.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 04-11-2022

CycleWR is now a non-profit. cyclewr.ca/join

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 04-13-2022

Here's some more brilliant Waterloo Region bike infrastructure...a flexible bollard right in the middle of the bike lane: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/comments/u2dqtq/door_zone_bike_lane_now_featuring/

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 04-13-2022

Ontario St is closed off King/Halls Lane. Hopefully the next section of the cycling grid getting started.

Unfortunately, I don't see how this section goes in without losing a lot of trees Sad

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 04-13-2022

I haven't looked at the plans recently, but I would think they'd only need to take the two trees on one side...one of which doesn't look too healthy.

But yeah, I suspect that will be the cost.

FWIW...I don't know why they are continuing with the Ontario section, given that they seem to be unwilling to continue it to Duke St. ending it at King doesn't help build a grid.

I think a bigger win would be to negotiate with the region on building a section along Victoria, plus improve the infra and continuity along Young/Guakel.

But that's a pretty hard pivot to make now.

The other ambitious plan would be to build it along Queen St...but that road was just rebuilt and they opted out of cycling infra...which is sad...it really is a good place for it. Oh well, try again in 50 years....

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 04-13-2022

(04-13-2022, 01:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I haven't looked at the plans recently, but I would think they'd only need to take the two trees on one side...one of which doesn't look too healthy.

FWIW...I don't know why they are continuing with the Ontario section, given that they seem to be unwilling to continue it to Duke St. ending it at King doesn't help build a grid.

I think a bigger win would be to negotiate with the region on building a section along Victoria, plus improve the infra and continuity along Young/Guakel.

The other ambitious plan would be to build it along Queen St...but that road was just rebuilt and they opted out of cycling infra...which is sad...it really is a good place for it.  Oh well, try again in 50 years....

Isn't that section of Duke going to be without cycling infrastructure anyways? It's not a grid whether it goes to King or to Duke...

Selfishly this Ontario segment will serve me well in one direction, so I'm happy. But otherwise I share in the disappointment.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 04-13-2022

(04-13-2022, 03:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 01:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I haven't looked at the plans recently, but I would think they'd only need to take the two trees on one side...one of which doesn't look too healthy.

The other ambitious plan would be to build it along Queen St...but that road was just rebuilt and they opted out of cycling infra...which is sad...it really is a good place for it.  Oh well, try again in 50 years....

Isn't that section of Duke going to be without cycling infrastructure anyways? It's not a grid whether it goes to King or to Duke...

Selfishly this Ontario segment will serve me well in one direction, so I'm happy. But otherwise I share in the disappointment.

Heh...yeah, that too.

*sigh*...