Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-23-2021

(11-23-2021, 10:26 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 04:48 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks like the blocks sitting in the Joseph St bike lane are getting used sooner rather than later, seems that work is beginning on the Queen St section.

The retaining wall is in now. But I am mystified as to why they did this. The existing slope was not terrible, and the amount of additional sidewalk (?) width is minimal. So, what was the rationale for this project?

Well the retaining wall was moved back a good couple of feet. I have no doubt those feet are necessary for the bike lane to fit in the road.

If we want to be fiscally conservative, a better option would have been to make Queens one way, or even *gasp* closed to through traffic...but the time for that was when the rest of the road was being rebuilt, not for a 40 foot long section here.

And while I think that we should be better at reusing our construction materials--there was already a retaining wall there--I'm not familiar enough with the specific products in use to say for sure if that was feasible...what I do suspect, is that it was never even considered.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 11-24-2021

Ahh, I didn't remember that a bike lane was going in here. From where to where? And construction in the spring?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-24-2021

(11-24-2021, 12:00 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Ahh, I didn't remember that a bike lane was going in here. From where to where? And construction in the spring?

Yeah, it's easy to miss, it's part of the cycling grid, but it's a pretty insignificant segment. For interest, the city, despite building a cycle lanes on all three sides of my building's fronting streets (yes, we front on 3 streets) failed to send our building the construction notice because our actual street address is on Queen St.

The bike lane will go from Joseph St. to Church St...a grand total of....50 meters. 

So yeah, not a big project, but I completely respect the commitment to making the project an actual connected grid. Basically the point is to get cyclists safely from the cycletrack on Joseph to the bikeway on Church. While it's not my favourite routing (the hill on Church is a PITA), it's actually happening, and being done well, so I have nothing but praise (well, mostly--the timelines are unnecessarily drawn out IMO).

As for construction timelines for this section, my bet would be on spring, but I also didn't expect them to do the retaining wall now, so I could also be wrong, given how small a segment it is, maybe they can do the whole thing in the next few weeks.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 11-27-2021

the wall    

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 11-28-2021

So they were really just another brick !!!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 11-28-2021

Joseph St was somewhere between funny and sad this evening, after the snowfall. I saw 3 cars going the wrong direction, all of which had to do an enjoyable turnaround of shame. I also saw 2 cars driving in the bike lanes, one of which was driving towards Queen, which would have been the wrong way even if it was a car lane???

All in the span of ~5 minutes.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-28-2021

(11-28-2021, 08:19 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Joseph St was somewhere between funny and sad this evening, after the snowfall. I saw 3 cars going the wrong direction, all of which had to do an enjoyable turnaround of shame. I also saw 2 cars driving in the bike lanes, one of which was driving towards Queen, which would have been the wrong way even if it was a car lane???

All in the span of ~5 minutes.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

It's not like there are signs or anything.

Honestly, I'm so tired of bad drivers.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 11-29-2021

Caught this whine on Nextdoor 😂

[Image: IjZe8gV.png]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bytor - 11-29-2021

That concrete median on Joseph is huge, there's no way snow covered it. How could they miss it?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 11-29-2021

(11-29-2021, 01:32 PM)Bytor Wrote: That concrete median on Joseph is huge, there's no way snow covered it. How could they miss it?

But can you see it above your cellphone?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-29-2021

This person...I have absolutely nothing polite to say. I have met him in person, he is a fake progressive, he ranted about this in person to me, about how the cycle lanes are terrible, because he has to drive his tesla around the block, and he has solar panels so clearly cyclists are evil. And he explained how he had a better solution where cyclists were on one sidewalk and pedestrians are on the other.

He also explained how everyone in the neighbourhood agreed with him. He didn't even seem to notice when I pointed out that I live in the neighbourhood too, and I don't, he doesn't see me as a neighbour...hell, maybe not even a person.

Honestly, I've already ranted about him before, I don't want to get my blood pressure back up, but suffices to say he is a caricature of fake progressive policies, literally every accusation you might level at those folks, which you might question if it is fair, he's almost certainly said it.

But what I wouldn't give for the confidence of a mediocre angry white man.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 11-29-2021

I am curious what race has to do with this ?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 11-29-2021

(11-29-2021, 03:14 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am curious what race has to do with this ?

Are you? Are you really curious? I doubt it.

But maybe I'm being harsh. If you are, like, actually curious, I'd suggest you read this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mediocre-Dangerous-Legacy-White-America/dp/1580059511

But for what it's worth, I've never seen a non-white person presume to speak for an entire neighbourhood before, and certainly not one where their situation (wealthy, detached home owning driver) represent a minority of residents.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 11-30-2021

The people on Nextdoor are all crazy.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 11-30-2021

(11-29-2021, 03:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 03:14 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am curious what race has to do with this ?

Are you? Are you really curious? I doubt it.

But maybe I'm being harsh. If you are, like, actually curious, I'd suggest you read this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mediocre-Dangerous-Legacy-White-America/dp/1580059511

But for what it's worth, I've never seen a non-white person presume to speak for an entire neighbourhood before, and certainly not one where their situation (wealthy, detached home owning driver) represent a minority of residents.

Here is some good reading too, And it is Canadian, not American.

https://www.amazon.ca/Parasitic-Mind-Infectious-Killing-Common/dp/162157959X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JEULRCJTHEJT&keywords=the+parasitic+mind&qid=1638301366&s=books&sprefix=the+para%2Cstripbooks%2C158&sr=1-1