Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - mastermind - 10-01-2021

(09-23-2021, 11:28 AM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 08:30 PM)mastermind Wrote: Shoot.  jwilliamson your experience makes me nervous to keep cycling to work...

I want it for the exercise but is it worth it in this city?

This was the first time I've been in a collision in 15 years of using a bicycle as my primary vehicle, so I'd say it's reasonable low risk.

Thanks for the perspective, that's a good point.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Chris - 10-01-2021

Took this photo a couple days ago. This wasn't the day for cyclists to use the bike lanes on Margaret at Wellington.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jwilliamson - 10-01-2021

(09-30-2021, 05:10 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Anyone on WRC have or know of someone with a front-load cargo bike? Musing about getting an Urban Arrow / Riese Muller Load and curious of the experience of anyone else using them around town and finding space to park/lock and how they are through the seasons here.

I have an Urban Arrow. We only got it in May, so I don't know how well it will do in the winter, but we haven't had any trouble finding places to lock it.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - cherrypark - 10-01-2021

(10-01-2021, 03:39 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(09-30-2021, 05:10 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Anyone on WRC have or know of someone with a front-load cargo bike? Musing about getting an Urban Arrow / Riese Muller Load and curious of the experience of anyone else using them around town and finding space to park/lock and how they are through the seasons here.

I have an Urban Arrow. We only got it in May, so I don't know how well it will do in the winter, but we haven't had any trouble finding places to lock it.

Very cool - congrats on the new set of wheels. Glad you've found it reasonable to lock up around town; is that using a chain or did you manage to get a D-lock long enough to reach?

Also curious if you gave the UA a comparison with any others. Will likely go do a couple test rides myself, but always interested in how they compare outside of the spec sheet (i.e. - vs. Bullitt, Load, others)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jeffster - 10-01-2021

What are some recommendations for an e-bike (peddle assist) -- preferably one that can be driven in most weather. Likely this bike would have two users.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jwilliamson - 10-01-2021

(10-01-2021, 05:09 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 03:39 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: I have an Urban Arrow. We only got it in May, so I don't know how well it will do in the winter, but we haven't had any trouble finding places to lock it.

Very cool - congrats on the new set of wheels. Glad you've found it reasonable to lock up around town; is that using a chain or did you manage to get a D-lock long enough to reach?

Also curious if you gave the UA a comparison with any others. Will likely go do a couple test rides myself, but always interested in how they compare outside of the spec sheet (i.e. - vs. Bullitt, Load, others)

That's just using the chain. I have a D-lock that would be long enough in most situations to lock the frame to a rack but mostly use it on my other bike.

We test rode a Nihola trike and a few long tails before we saw the UA on Kijiji. I'm a big fan of its handling; it feels very stable but doesn't have the weird steering of a trike. If you're interested in a test ride, send me a DM and we can set something up.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - cherrypark - 10-02-2021

(10-01-2021, 09:32 PM)JWilliamson Wrote: That's just using the chain. I have a D-lock that would be long enough in most situations to lock the frame to a rack but mostly use it on my other bike.

We test rode a Nihola trike and a few long tails before we saw the UA on Kijiji. I'm a big fan of its handling; it feels very stable but doesn't have the weird steering of a trike. If you're interested in a test ride, send me a DM and we can set something up.

Thanks for the offer - will let you know if that would be a help in our search. Thinking of making a trip into Toronto to Curbside to try a few models (some day).

Also motivating to hear you snagged one on Kijiji. I've got alerts set up for most models hoping a lightly used option might come along to shave a little off the sticker price.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - bravado - 10-07-2021

(10-01-2021, 08:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: What are some recommendations for an e-bike (peddle assist) -- preferably one that can be driven in most weather. Likely this bike would have two users.

I got a Radrunner Plus a few months ago and I've been biking all around Cambridge and Paris with great results. They're a more budget brand, but still perfectly fine for me. The Runner model is more of a "utility" bike with a bigger weight capacity and more options for accessories, but they have totally fine "normal" bikes that I see all over the place. The normal bikes from them would be a lot easier to find studded winter tires for than my Runner model.

So far I've been loving the questions and looks from old biker dudes across town, talking to a big old nerd like me on a bike.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 09:15 PM)bravado Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 08:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: What are some recommendations for an e-bike (peddle assist) -- preferably one that can be driven in most weather. Likely this bike would have two users.

I got a Radrunner Plus a few months ago and I've been biking all around Cambridge and Paris with great results. They're a more budget brand, but still perfectly fine for me. The Runner model is more of a "utility" bike with a bigger weight capacity and more options for accessories, but they have totally fine "normal" bikes that I see all over the place. The normal bikes from them would be a lot easier to find studded winter tires for than my Runner model.

So far I've been loving the questions and looks from old biker dudes across town, talking to a big old nerd like me on a bike.
I bought a RadCity Step-Thru last summer and put almost 4000 km on it, then the controller conked out about a month after the warranty ran out. It will cost about $200 to replace the controller and wiring harness, but the wiring harness is out of stock so I don't know when I will be able to fix it. Anyhow, for anyone looking to buy an e-bike, do research on the various types of motors and other features. The RadCity has been great, but the direct drive motor has some downsides. Mid-drive geared motors are generally considered better than hub motors.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - bravado - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 10:16 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 09:15 PM)bravado Wrote: I got a Radrunner Plus a few months ago and I've been biking all around Cambridge and Paris with great results. They're a more budget brand, but still perfectly fine for me. The Runner model is more of a "utility" bike with a bigger weight capacity and more options for accessories, but they have totally fine "normal" bikes that I see all over the place. The normal bikes from them would be a lot easier to find studded winter tires for than my Runner model.

I bought a RadCity Step-Thru last summer and put almost 4000 km on it, then the controller conked out about a month after the warranty ran out. It will cost about $200 to replace the controller and wiring harness, but the wiring harness is out of stock so I don't know when I will be able to fix it. Anyhow, for anyone looking to buy an e-bike, do research on the various types of motors and other features. The RadCity has been great, but the direct drive motor has some downsides. Mid-drive geared motors are generally considered better than hub motors.

If it’s any consolation, they just released the new Rad City last month with a more normal geared hub motor at the rear  Sad

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 10:46 PM)bravado Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 10:16 PM)Acitta Wrote: I bought a RadCity Step-Thru last summer and put almost 4000 km on it, then the controller conked out about a month after the warranty ran out. It will cost about $200 to replace the controller and wiring harness, but the wiring harness is out of stock so I don't know when I will be able to fix it. Anyhow, for anyone looking to buy an e-bike, do research on the various types of motors and other features. The RadCity has been great, but the direct drive motor has some downsides. Mid-drive geared motors are generally considered better than hub motors.

If it’s any consolation, they just released the new Rad City last month with a more normal geared hub motor at the rear  Sad
Yes, I am aware of that. However, if I buy another e-bike, I have some other brands in mind. I am waiting for the OLG to fulfill their promises, though. :-)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 10-09-2021

(10-07-2021, 10:16 PM)Acitta Wrote: I bought a RadCity Step-Thru last summer and put almost 4000 km on it, then the controller conked out about a month after the warranty ran out.

Any chance you bought it on a credit card with extended warranty?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 10-09-2021

(10-09-2021, 08:39 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 10:16 PM)Acitta Wrote: I bought a RadCity Step-Thru last summer and put almost 4000 km on it, then the controller conked out about a month after the warranty ran out.

Any chance you bought it on a credit card with extended warranty?
I bought it with a credit card but not with an extended warranty. Anyhow, the main problem is the wiring harness is out of stock, so things are in limbo right now. On the positive side, I am getting more exercise riding my recumbent.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 10-10-2021

(10-09-2021, 10:58 PM)Acitta Wrote: I bought it with a credit card but not with an extended warranty. Anyhow, the main problem is the wiring harness is out of stock, so things are in limbo right now. On the positive side, I am getting more exercise riding my recumbent.

What I meant is that a lot of credit cards (including free ones) offer extended warranty protection as a feature, which would typically get you an extra year of warranty coverage.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 10-17-2021

All the pylons blocking the Joseph St bike lanes have been removed, so I guess that means it's open now? The Queen St entrance is still blocked though, and there is clearly still some paint missing.

I'm confused by the Victoria St end. The only signs there are a bike lend "Ends" sign, and the old "cyclists dismount" sign that was always there. No bike signals. What's the expectation here, especially if you and a car are both waiting at the light?