Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 09-07-2021

My point is that there are a ton of different variables to consider, that can interact in often subtle ways. That is certainly one of them. It's why actual real world testing is important.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-09-2021

https://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/SydneyPLUS/Sydney/Portal/default.aspx?component=AAAAIY&record=9c49ce44-e3b2-4389-91cd-5e9b67aad03d

So the new OTM Book 18 has finally been released. It is clearly a huge improvement. It's also a fun read, and a dangerous drinking game where you read it, and the take a drink every time the region is currently building or built in the last year a piece of infra which is deficient under the new book.

To get us started, the brand spanking new Victoria St. and Iron Horse Trail crossing is deficient by more than DOUBLE. The new guide states that uncontrolled crossings are not acceptable on roads with an Average Annualized Daily Traffic count of more than 9,000 and Victoria St. had more than 19,000 on that section in 2015. Hilarious, if I didn't have to cross it four times a day.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jwilliamson - 09-10-2021

(09-09-2021, 04:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: https://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/SydneyPLUS/Sydney/Portal/default.aspx?component=AAAAIY&record=9c49ce44-e3b2-4389-91cd-5e9b67aad03d

So the new OTM Book 18 has finally been released. It is clearly a huge improvement. It's also a fun read, and a dangerous drinking game where you read it, and the take a drink every time the region is currently building or built in the last year a piece of infra which is deficient under the new book.

To get us started, the brand spanking new Victoria St. and Iron Horse Trail crossing is deficient by more than DOUBLE. The new guide states that uncontrolled crossings are not acceptable on roads with an Average Annualized Daily Traffic count of more than 9,000 and Victoria St. had more than 19,000 on that section in 2015. Hilarious, if I didn't have to cross it four times a day.

Any idea what Weber at the Laurel Trail gets? Regional engineers would probably say the best fix would be to tear out the island and put up a sign with instructions to cross at the light. Then there won't be an uncontrolled crossing.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 11:38 AM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: https://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/SydneyPLUS/Sydney/Portal/default.aspx?component=AAAAIY&record=9c49ce44-e3b2-4389-91cd-5e9b67aad03d

Any idea what Weber at the Laurel Trail gets? Regional engineers would probably say the best fix would be to tear out the island and put up a sign with instructions to cross at the light. Then there won't be an uncontrolled crossing.

Lmao...the Weber and Laurel trail is deficient in the previous guide, it is not wide enough, traffic volumes are way too high, speed limit is too high, and road is too wide.

That was the last straw where I would ever trust our regional engineers to ever do anything right. Even when directly instructed to build something, they cannot or will not do it right.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 09-10-2021

Traffic lights are clearly controlled (I think!). What about the flashing-light crossings? Would that address the deficiency?

(09-10-2021, 02:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Traffic lights are clearly controlled (I think!). What about the flashing-light crossings? Would that address the deficiency?

Yes, a PXO would be an example of a controlled crossing. The guide notes that "Cyclists would be required to dismount"...which basically means they'd just be liable if hit while crossing.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 03:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 02:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Traffic lights are clearly controlled (I think!). What about the flashing-light crossings? Would that address the deficiency?

Yes, a PXO would be an example of a controlled crossing. The guide notes that "Cyclists would be required to dismount"...which basically means they'd just be liable if hit while crossing.

Adding a PXO would not be hugely expensive, would it? That is, for sure, a very busy (and fast) crossing.

(09-10-2021, 03:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 03:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, a PXO would be an example of a controlled crossing. The guide notes that "Cyclists would be required to dismount"...which basically means they'd just be liable if hit while crossing.

Adding a PXO would not be hugely expensive, would it? That is, for sure, a very busy (and fast) crossing.

Expensive? As in, costs a lot of money?

Not more expensive than other places. Just needs signs, there's already power.

Would it be expensive in terms of traffic congestion? I mean, possibly, but I doubt it. An IPS would be worse...unless they do the obvious thing and sync it with the nearby traffic signal.

FWIW the region should also fix the Victoria/West intersection...but you know the first step is admitting you have a problem, and they aren't there yet.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 03:38 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-10-2021, 03:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Adding a PXO would not be hugely expensive, would it? That is, for sure, a very busy (and fast) crossing.

Expensive? As in, costs a lot of money?

Not more expensive than other places. Just needs signs, there's already power.

Would it be expensive in terms of traffic congestion? I mean, possibly, but I doubt it. An IPS would be worse...unless they do the obvious thing and sync it with the nearby traffic signal.

FWIW the region should also fix the Victoria/West intersection...but you know the first step is admitting you have a problem, and they aren't there yet.

Any advice on who to contact to voice complaints? I'm not sure where to start.

Every single time I bike through West/IHT and Victoria/IHT I think "I should write a letter, someone needs fired". I've nearly had collisions at the West crossing many times now, because I'm one of the ~10% who uses the crossing as marked. The Victoria crossing is also so horribly misaligned that I recently had a car stop (which is also wrong) completely blocking the island, but they thought I could cross because the curb cut was completely unblocked.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 09-15-2021

The Water St bike lane curbs have been placed between Weber and Duke. No activity between Duke and Joseph yet, but I didn't realize that Water St construction had started at all, so pleasant surprise.

Also, the Joseph/Water intersection seems to have the remaining forms placed, so I expect it should be filled in in the next few days? Unfortunately another 2 trees lost here. I wish we could "improve" our city without paving the whole thing over.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 08:19 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: The Water St bike lane curbs have been placed between Weber and Duke. No activity between Duke and Joseph yet, but I didn't realize that Water St construction had started at all, so pleasant surprise.

Also, the Joseph/Water intersection seems to have the remaining forms placed, so I expect it should be filled in in the next few days? Unfortunately another 2 trees lost here. I wish we could "improve" our city without paving the whole thing over.

Yes, Water, Joseph, and Queen will see construction this year.

The loss of trees is unfortunate, and frustrating. I know that intersection is tight, it would make sense if we just limited the types of traffic which can use it, but unfortunately, the city'sĀ engineering discipline isn't there yet...even at the city level apparently.

FWIW - providing good weather holds Joseph should be complete and open by the first week of October.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jwilliamson - 09-21-2021

I got hit by a car turning left across the Erb St bike lane on Friday. I'm okay other than some road rash, but my bike has had its last ride.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 09-21-2021

So sorry to hear that, hope you'll make a quick and full recovery. A shame about the bike, that looks like a neat bike. I hope the driver was charged.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 09-21-2021

Nasty! I wish you a speedy recovery!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - plam - 09-21-2021

That sucks, sorry to hear about the bike too. Get better soon!