Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 07-09-2021

(07-09-2021, 08:34 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: While I'm incredibly excited for these bike lanes, I'm quite frustrated by the construction at Joseph & Water.

All 4 corners of the intersection are now completely pedestrian inaccessible, and I don't believe there is any warning signage prior to entering the block.

[Image: 1vWs7NH.jpg]

Yes, this is quite frustrating. I believe this is actually two separate projects, I think, on the left, KW Hydro is doing work. They shouldn't have been allowed to come together like this.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Chris - 07-15-2021

Today I noticed that sharrows were recently installed on Breithaupt St from Margaret Ave to Weber St as part of the downtown grid. I didn't venture past Weber St to see if they are installed to King St as planned.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 07-17-2021

For those of you who have used the Ottawa St bike lanes (from Mill to the expressway), how do you find them?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Jefferson - 07-17-2021

(07-17-2021, 07:26 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: For those of you who have used the Ottawa St bike lanes (from Mill to the expressway), how do you find them?
I've used them a number of times and love them. I wish all city streets had something similar.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 07-17-2021

(07-17-2021, 07:37 PM)Jefferson Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 07:26 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: For those of you who have used the Ottawa St bike lanes (from Mill to the expressway), how do you find them?
I've used them a number of times and love them. I wish all city streets had something similar.

Lol...right...Ottawa crosses the expressway twice.

I've used them...they're fine...they're protected by a roll curb...which is to say....they're a mediocre protected bike lane...which is better than a painted bike lane...but it remains incredibly frustrating the bad choices our regional engineers make, even in the face overwhelming public pressure to do the right damn thing.

I'm fairly certain at this point, there are egos involved.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 07-17-2021

(07-17-2021, 08:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 07:37 PM)Jefferson Wrote: I've used them a number of times and love them. I wish all city streets had something similar.

Lol...right...Ottawa crosses the expressway twice.

I've used them...they're fine...they're protected by a roll curb...which is to say....they're a mediocre protected bike lane...which is better than a painted bike lane...but it remains incredibly frustrating the bad choices our regional engineers make, even in the face overwhelming public pressure to do the right damn thing.

I'm fairly certain at this point, there are egos involved.

Whoops, yeah I meant the new roll curb ones. I haven't tried them yet, only passed by in a car a few times. It just seems like for the amount of effort that went in, something way better could have been built. But I thought maybe the experience of using them isn't actually as bad as it looks.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 07-17-2021

One thing I will say for the Ottawa bike lanes and also the new ones going in on Erb: the concrete paving sets them off from the car lanes and makes the motor vehicle part of the road feel narrower. I can’t say what the overall effect is and still don’t get why we’re so hell-bent on keeping the bikes pretty much level with motor vehicles, but I think it’s a noticeable improvement on just having a wide asphalt space marked off with nothing but paint.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinT - 08-12-2021

They work, and they're an improvement, but I wish they had just narrowed the road to where the roll curbs are and built wide MUTs away from the road instead. Manitou between Bleams and Homer Watson suffers from the same deficiency, roll curbs are an improvement over paint but they're not truly safe separation.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 08:44 AM)KevinT Wrote:

They work, and they're an improvement, but I wish they had just narrowed the road to where the roll curbs are and built wide MUTs away from the road instead. Manitou between Bleams and Homer Watson suffers from the same deficiency, roll curbs are an improvement over paint but they're not truly safe separation.

I agree.

I've said before, but I get a lot of flack for this opinion, I think the roll curbs compromise the design so much, that they are a worse value for money as painted bike lanes. Yes, they are better than painted bike lanes, but they cost considerably more.

But every time I think about this, I just get so angry that our highly paid regional engineers can be so incompetent at their jobs.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 08-12-2021

Personally, I think roll curbs are acceptable where there is no on-street parking. I personally might actually prefer them to a full curb lane in that case, as I'm not convinced the full curb provides any better protection than a roll curb and think it's main benefit is that it acts as a deterrent to people using the lane for parking.

I'd happily reconsider my opinion if studies have been done on the difference between them and how they function in different contexts, but the science is pretty scant and what research is out there is limited by the huge number of confounding variables.

(08-12-2021, 09:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: Personally, I think roll curbs are acceptable where there is no on-street parking. I personally might actually prefer them to a full curb lane in that case, as I'm not convinced the full curb provides any better protection than a roll curb and think it's main benefit is that it acts as a deterrent to people using the lane for parking.

I'd happily reconsider my opinion if studies have been done on the difference between them and how they function in different contexts, but the science is pretty scant and what research is out there is limited by the huge number of confounding variables.

So, in terms of parking, I don't think "no parking" is the question, I think "no parking demand" is the question, which is very different. In fact, you will find MORE cars parking when there is a bike lane, then when there is not. For example, specific to the Ottawa bike lanes, I do frequently see vehicles stopping in the bike lanes for delivery (and taxi) to the few homes on the street, I suspect those drivers would have parked in the empty driveways before. And yeah, some of our roads have little demand for parking, like much of F-H has absolutely no frontage, but I still come across vehicles in the bike lane from time to time, although it is rare. The point is, if it is possible for drivers to park, they will. (See also Queen St., which never had a parking problem, but now does).

But roll curbs are more problematic than just parking. I mean, for one, the current roll curbs are INCREDIBLY permissive, like orders of magnitude more permissing than the curb cuts installed to actually access bike infra, and this is just insane.....how is that allowed, I don't understand. But the effect is that drivers will choose to drive in the lane sometimes, for example to go around a turning vehicle. This is what the lanes are supposed to avoid. But roll curbs are not an effective deterrent, drivers will still choose to drive in the lane sometimes.

The only other question is accidental intrusion, which, I dunno, I'm not a physics major, possibly barrier curbs are not more effective, but certainly barrier curbs would be more effective at regaining a drivers attention if they do accidentally deviate from the lane...again, the roll curbs are so permissive that a drunk, or distracted, or passed out driver could easily not notice crossing the roll curb. A barrier curb, if it is at all possible for them to be aroused, they absolutely will be, and if that means they need a new front tire or rim on their car, well, I'd rather that than my child needing a new father.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 12:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The only other question is accidental intrusion, which, I dunno, I'm not a physics major, possibly barrier curbs are not more effective, but certainly barrier curbs would be more effective at regaining a drivers attention if they do accidentally deviate from the lane...again, the roll curbs are so permissive that a drunk, or distracted, or passed out driver could easily not notice crossing the roll curb. A barrier curb, if it is at all possible for them to be aroused, they absolutely will be, and if that means they need a new front tire or rim on their car, well, I'd rather that than my child needing a new father.

More thumbs up than I have available to give.

A barrier curb will not absolutely prevent a vehicle from making an incursion onto the sidewalk, but nobody will deliberately cross a barrier curb at any significant speed, and even a complete drunk will notice if they accidentally cross it.

That is also why pedestrian refuge islands should have substantial concrete bollards at either end to protect pedestrians on the islands. Of course, it would make sense to design the bollards to deflect rather than stop outright a motor vehicle, but the priority has to be on keeping vehicles off the island.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 08-12-2021

I think perceived safety is a big deal here too. My goal isn't just to have a safe place for myself to bike, it's also to have as many people as possible biking. I came on here to ask how the experience really is, because it looks very uninviting, even if it is perfectly safe to use.

(08-12-2021, 08:52 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I think perceived safety is a big deal here too. My goal isn't just to have a safe place for myself to bike, it's also to have as many people as possible biking. I came on here to ask how the experience really is, because it looks very uninviting, even if it is perfectly safe to use.

Frankly, I do and have argued that perceived safety is actually the most important thing. It is the thing that drives all behaviour. Perceived safety is why our roads are dangerous.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ac3r - 08-17-2021

A driver who killed a cyclist, called 911 and then drove off in a recent winter was not jailed because...get this...he is a Christian and felt remorseful. The court basically let him off the hook, going as far as to waive the minimum fine: https://outline.com/Au8pPT