Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 05-22-2020

Not an attack at all... Just a simple observation, and an acknowledgement to some positive comments.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 06-07-2020

They recently built a new paved trail through Raddatz Park from the IHT at Gage Ave. to Waverly Rd. at Gage.    

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 06-08-2020

That's part of the Transit Hub connector. Should be similar work in Cherry Park.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - eh-cun71 - 06-14-2020

On Columbia Street I noticed new green paint across the intersections with Phillip Street even getting turn boxes. Not sure how safe I'd feel in them - they're pretty far into the intersection. I've also never used one of them so what do I know.
King street doesn't have the green paint treatment. Or at least not yet. If I recall correctly the drawings for the protected lane pilot project included turning boxes or other lines through that intersection.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 10:40 PM)eh-cun71 Wrote: On Columbia Street I noticed new green paint across the intersections with Phillip Street even getting turn boxes. Not sure how safe I'd feel in them - they're pretty far into the intersection. I've also never used one of them so what do I know.
King street doesn't have the green paint treatment. Or at least not yet. If I recall correctly the drawings for the protected lane pilot project included turning boxes or other lines through that intersection.

This is still part of the region's protected bike lane pilot.  It's hard to tell from the picture for sure, but it does look like the painted area crossing Columbia does not line up with the bike lanes on Phillip.  That is extremely bizarre.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 06-15-2020

I think they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to preserve the right on reds for cars while having protected space for bikes, which in reality means the cyclists get parked in the middle of the intersection. I'd like to see whoever designed that use it with their kids along for the ride.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 06-15-2020

In Kitchener they've painted green lanes through the intersections on Queen's Blvd. (Westmount and Fischer-Hallman), but none of the turn boxes. I'm pretty confident riding in traffic but no way am I gonna park my bike in the intersection like that. The Queen's Blvd. bike lanes are so dirty right now it's almost unsafe to ride in them... they need to drive a supersucker truck along the lanes and vacuum them clean. The ones they use to suck up the curbside leaves should work fine.

Anyway, this Columbia/Phillip intersection looks like an attempt to make a protected intersection with no actual protections. Whatever they're smoking I'd like to hit that pipe.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - goggolor - 06-15-2020

Proposal for a massive temporary bike lane network on Regional Roads:

Quote from the doc:

After a review of a full suite of “open street” options, and discussions with area municipality staff, Regional staff are recommending the rapid closure of curb lanes to general traffic to create new temporary dedicated bike lanes or reserved lanes for transit vehicles and cyclists on the following Regional roads:

● King Street/Coronation Boulevard/Dundas Street from Bishop Street to Beverly Street, City of Cambridge;
● Westmount Road from Queen’s Boulevard to University Avenue, Cities of Kitchener and Waterloo;
● Frederick Street from Weber Street to Lancaster Street, Kitchener;
● Erb Street from Westmount Road to Caroline Street, City of Waterloo;
● Erb Street from Peppler Street to Margaret Avenue (one lane only), City of Waterloo; and
● Bridgeport Road, King Street to Margaret Avenue (one lane only), City of Waterloo.

These road-space re-allocations would create 24 kilometres of new temporary bike lanes on Regional roads.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-15-2020

(06-15-2020, 09:34 AM)clasher Wrote: In Kitchener they've painted green lanes through the intersections on Queen's Blvd. (Westmount and Fischer-Hallman), but none of the turn boxes. I'm pretty confident riding in traffic but no way am I gonna park my bike in the intersection like that. The Queen's Blvd. bike lanes are so dirty right now it's almost unsafe to ride in them... they need to drive a supersucker truck along the lanes and vacuum them clean. The ones they use to suck up the curbside leaves should work fine.

Anyway, this Columbia/Phillip intersection looks like an attempt to make a protected intersection with no actual protections. Whatever they're smoking I'd like to hit that pipe.

I think they are quite explicitly not doing a protected intersection, they have only created boxes for two stage turns, they are separate things, bike boxes for two stage turns exist all over NA unlike protected intersections.

The question of protected intersections were raised when this was proposed, but the region was unwilling. The City of Kitchener wanted to do a protected intersection in their pilot at Belmont and Glasgow but the region put the kaibosh on that too.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 06-15-2020

eh-cun71 Wrote:On Columbia Street I noticed new green paint across the intersections with Phillip Street even getting turn boxes. Not sure how safe I'd feel in them - they're pretty far into the intersection. I've also never used one of them so what do I know.

I'm confused.  If you are going straight, you are in the left hand bike lane, but if you are making a left turn, you are in the RIGHT lane?  I don't get this.

Coke

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 06-15-2020

(06-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
eh-cun71 Wrote:On Columbia Street I noticed new green paint across the intersections with Phillip Street even getting turn boxes. Not sure how safe I'd feel in them - they're pretty far into the intersection. I've also never used one of them so what do I know.

I'm confused.  If you are going straight, you are in the left hand bike lane, but if you are making a left turn, you are in the RIGHT lane?  I don't get this.

Coke

If you are turning left, you move out of the way of the bikes proceeding straight along the path.  Seems pretty straightforward.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-15-2020

(06-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

Coke

It’s a two stage turn, if you are going left, you pull to the right on the far side of the intersection, now you are effectively at the front of the bike lane for the perpendicular direction, you go when the light changes to green in the direction you are turning left into. Its basically how all pedestrian crossings work.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 06-17-2020

(06-15-2020, 08:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I'm confused.  If you are going straight, you are in the left hand bike lane, but if you are making a left turn, you are in the RIGHT lane?  I don't get this.

Coke

It’s a two stage turn, if you are going left, you pull to the right on the far side of the intersection, now you are effectively at the front of the bike lane for the perpendicular direction, you go when the light changes to green in the direction you are turning left into. Its basically how all pedestrian crossings work.

OK, thank you for this clarification.  I didn't realize it was a two stage turn.... I assumed all vehicles could make a left turn in one signal light.

Thanks,
Coke

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 06-19-2020

Wanted to post this soon, I am going to try and find time to make some maps and possibly a longer write up, but the region is considering rapid implementation of "temporary" bike lanes on a number of roads. The vote was tied at council this week, it was referred to full council this week.  Staff was told to do a public consultation in a week, which is kind of like...a crazy request, but here it is:

https://www.engagewr.ca/rapid-reallocation-road-space-covid19

Also worth tweeting or even better emailing our regional council for this.

I hope to post more details and analysis this weekend.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 06-19-2020

I filled out that survey, it seems like a load of BS to have to "study" this when many other cities have managed to do similar things without massive problems.

Anyway, today I was out riding around and ended up down in Doon Village so I rode home via the new Homer-Watson MUP. It's pretty good going most of the time, gotta be careful at intersections since no one seemed to even check their right side before whipping around the corner. The asphalt is really smooth and there's almost no interruptions so it's a quick way to get down to the college. The curbs could be better but they aren't the worst ones in the area. It does deviate from the road near the Huron intersection and heads toward the ball diamonds, I don't know if they're gonna pave that part too but I think it was stone dust still. There was also "sidewalk closed" signs everywhere. Plenty of landscaping along the trail and a bunch of new trees in the ground so it might be nicer in a few years. Recent rains had washed out some of the landscaping near Lear so I assume they'll fix that sooon.

I was riding toward Ottawa Street so I also decided to see how those bike lanes are coming along, and they are some proper garbage as far as I'm concerned:

Why not put the grey pavers and curb on the left side where the cars are? When traffic is back to normal I don't think I'm gonna be riding down there during the day... like what's the point of doing this shit even? Imagine going to school for 8 years and this is the best idea you can come up with. FFS...