Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 02-20-2019

How did we go from 3, to 4, now to 6 m spacing?!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 02-20-2019

6 stood out to me too. 20 feet? I can certainly fit my car in a 20 foot gap.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 08:46 AM)Canard Wrote: How did we go from 3, to 4, now to 6 m spacing?!

They're proposing 3-4 meter spacing on the west side with no parking, and 6 meter spacing on the right side with parking...apparently they feel that closer spacing would impede vehicle doors.

The average vehicle is just over 4 meters long, so...most drivers probably would have a bollard somewhere along their car...but with enough flexibility for it not to impact a door.

Maybe it's enough...I suppose we'll see.

Of course, I'll again point out that almost every other place in the city that has parking bays has a barrier curb and no cars park on the sidewalk ever...

But apparently that's impossible in our brave new world.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - robdrimmie - 02-20-2019

Bollards that reduce the likelihood of a vehicle passenger opening a door into the bike lane would be a pretty good thing to point to and say "look, we care about bike safety!" We are not a bike culture city, and getting doored is probably my largest concern as a cyclist and I still have to consciously remind myself to check, open the door with my opposite hand to encourage the turn, etc.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 02-20-2019

(02-20-2019, 10:48 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Bollards that reduce the likelihood of a vehicle passenger opening a door into the bike lane would be a pretty good thing to point to and say "look, we care about bike safety!" We are not a bike culture city, and getting doored is probably my largest concern as a cyclist and I still have to consciously remind myself to check, open the door with my opposite hand to encourage the turn, etc.

Especially on the passenger side.

That being said, I'd much rather be doored into a post, than under a truck.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 02-20-2019

3m would make sense to me. But 6m is better than none. And they can always upgrade to 3m later. Smile

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 02-20-2019

They could. And it wouldn't surprise me if they do. But this always happens. How about getting it right the first time (or in this case, the second)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 02-28-2019

Toronto International Bicycle Show is this weekend!

https://www.bicycleshowtoronto.com/spring-show/

Just thought I'd mention it. I can't wait!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 02-28-2019

I was at the car show with my weekend, so I wonder if he'll come to the bike show with me this weekend Tongue.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Section ThirtyOne - 03-05-2019

[Image: 11nGHaK.jpg]

[Image: euHXdOi.jpg]

[Image: HOCdPGa.jpg]

My wife was out walking the dog on the Iron Horse Trail and came across some city staff doing a survey. In addition, they were handing out these new maps. The maps are a little busy to my eye, but contain a ton of useful information. They're also printed on Tyvek, so no worries about getting them wet or having them rip. Pleasant surprise!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 03-05-2019

That's really cool. I wonder where we'll be able to get our hands on some. Most bike shops Id assume?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 03-05-2019

Why is the code for the Spurline 'DC'?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - robdrimmie - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 03:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Why is the code for the Spurline 'DC'?

Looks like the icons for Dom Cardillo and Spurline got swapped

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Bob_McBob - 03-05-2019

(03-05-2019, 03:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Why is the code for the Spurline 'DC'?

I was also scratching my head until I realized they swapped the labels for Spurline and Dom Cardillo.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 03-05-2019

Ah, thanks!