Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 05-26-2018

Has anyone heard any updates on the cycling lane pilot project?

It bothers me that a pilot project that I first heard of in April 2017 (reference #1, reference #2) hasn't been implemented by June of 2018. It seems like other cities have gone from idea to implementation in less than a season; what is taking so long? Why can't we rapid-prototype something and see what works and what doesn't?

It will likely be much later since the staff report says the pilot locations need to be approved by council first and the next council meetings are in late June and late August and then they would still need time to implement them. 

The original article says that, "Implementation of the separated lanes would be planned for the spring of 2018, and they would be kept open for two summer seasons to provide an extended monitoring period. Then staff would report back to council in the fall of 2019 about whether the separated lanes should become permanent and on the potential to expand the network."

I wonder if this would mean we would still trial them for two summer seasons (2019, 2020) if we don't get them until after summer 2018?

Depending upon the pilot areas chosen those could have been really handy with the IHT closures, but it seems unlikely we will see them before the fall at this point.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-27-2018

I’ve been having a hard time finding an answer online to this, so I thought I’d ask here...

I want to get a nicer derailleur for one of my bikes. It’s a 3x8 setup. I understand that when people have a 10-Speed cassette at the back, the chain is narrower and the gears are closer together. What I don’t know, is, does this mean that the width from the lowest to highest gear is always the same? Would that mean any derailleur can work for any number of gears, since the shifter is responsible for the actual indexing/cable pull?

It’s a Shimano Altus derailleur and it seems like there are no options specifically saying “8 speed” for something else. Lots of 9’s and 10’s.

(I also understand I need to be cognizant of tbe take-up capacity of the jockey wheels)

EDIT: there’s this one, which says it’s 8 or 9 speed compatible...)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-27-2018

I think your answer is in this thread: https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13015074

Basically, the amount the derailleur moves for each shift depends on both the shifter and the derailleur. The shifter determines the cable pull per shift, but the derailleur determines how much movement of the rear mech you get for a given amount of cable pull (the actuation ratio). The rear derailleurs for Shimano 8-,9-, and 10-speed groupsets all have the same actuation ratio, and so any of those rear derailleurs should work with any rear shifter.

Keep in mind, however, that while the 9-speed and below groupsets all have the same width chains and sprockets, 10-speed has a narrower standard.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-28-2018

Thanks Jamincan!

I knew there must be two factors (the physical distance of cable pulled per index at the shifter, and the lateral displacement of the jockey wheels per amount of cable pulled).  I just couldn't articulate it properly for a search.  Glad to hear the 8/9/10-gear sets from Shimano are all compatible.

However, I too just realized that this means I need to buy a chain breaker if I want to do this, I guess... bummer.

Meanwhile, in Waterloo:

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-28-2018

10-speed isn't really compatible with 9-speed due to the differing chain widths. 9 and below should be fine though.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-28-2018

From what I've read (and what you said previously) a "10-speed" branded derailleur is actually compatible (since they all have a 1:1.7 actuation ratio), just not if it's 10-speed Dyna-Sys. My other bike has Dyna-Sys, and now I understand why it feels "So much better". I had a feeling it was "pulling more cable" but had no way until now to quantify that other than just my general feelings and observations as a mechanical guy, without getting out my vernier.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-29-2018

The ratios are fine, is just that all the sprockets and the chain on a 10-speed drive train are narrower.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Markster - 05-29-2018

So do they ever plan on restarting the Uptown construction?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 05-29-2018

I've used 10 speed road derailleurs to shift 9 speed drivetrains and also used 9 speed mountain on 10 speed road drivetrains. The latest version of 10 speed Tiagra is not the old SIS standard (1:1.7) so they aren't backward compatible with 9 speed and less. I wish shimano would have used the dynasys cable pull on all the 10 speed road stuff, it was so nice to be able to mix and match mountain cassettes with road gearing. It's still possible but it's more work now.

I'm glad I don't have any reason to visit uptown regularly, cycling there doesn't seem any easier than before they built the lanes with cars being parked in them haphazardly.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 08:01 AM)Markster Wrote: So do they ever plan on restarting the Uptown construction?

On the bike lanes?  They're very gradually paving them right now...but only up to Bridgeport.   Construction north of Bridgeport expect in ~2020...although the protected bike lane pilot project (maybe fall :S) will implement quick protected lanes north of Bridgeport.

And cars still parking in the bike lanes....

Still the most disappointing thing for active transportation in this city...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 08:01 AM)Markster Wrote: So do they ever plan on restarting the Uptown construction?

The bike lanes are already being worked on. The streetscape project was put on hold until next year.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 09:29 AM)timc Wrote:

The bike lanes are already being worked on. The streetscape project was put on hold until next year.

I have very little doubt that will be delayed till 2020 when the Region is (supposed to be) rebuilding the rest of the road up to University.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 06:14 AM)jamincan Wrote: The ratios are fine, is just that all the sprockets and the chain on a 10-speed drive train are narrower.

Of course; same with 9. The distance between lowest and highest gears is the same, so they have to get closer together to sandwich them all in the same space.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 09:29 AM)timc Wrote: The bike lanes are already being worked on. The streetscape project was put on hold until next year.

Are these not one in the same?

I keep hearing on the radio about a "big party" with fancy lighting and trees and so on in a few weeks - if this is not the case and something is being put "on hold", what is being held?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 11:49 AM)Canard Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 09:29 AM)timc Wrote: The bike lanes are already being worked on. The streetscape project was put on hold until next year.

Are these not one in the same?

I keep hearing on the radio about a "big party" with fancy lighting and trees and so on in a few weeks - if this is not the case and something is being put "on hold", what is being held?

My understanding is that the rest of the project — everything north of Bridgeport — is put off. Apparently the road closures south of Bridgeport have so devastated the businesses north of Bridgeport that they can’t handle another road closure, coming only several decades after the last time the road north of Bridgeport was closed for construction.

Meanwhile, finishing of the bike lanes south of Bridgeport was underway last time I was nearby, which was yesterday. No word on when bylaw will start actually enforcing the law along that stretch.