Waterloo Region Connected
EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges (/showthread.php?tid=1531)

Pages: 1 2 3

EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges - tomh009 - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 03:43 PM)jeffster Wrote: Finally. Really looking forward to this. Clean travel.

There will be some work that will need to be done to ensure we have sufficient generation and transmission capacity to support a massive shift to EVs in the coming decades. How much of that incremental generating capacity will be carbon-free is something no one knows yet.

I do wonder how large an EV population could realistically be charged overnight (considering that few cars will have completely empty batteries each night) given our current spare overnight generation capacity.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 05:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 03:43 PM)jeffster Wrote: Finally. Really looking forward to this. Clean travel.

There will be some work that will need to be done to ensure we have sufficient generation and transmission capacity to support a massive shift to EVs in the coming decades. How much of that incremental generating capacity will be carbon-free is something no one knows yet.

I do wonder how large an EV population could realistically be charged overnight (considering that few cars will have completely empty batteries each night) given our current spare overnight generation capacity.

In theory, overnight charging is a no brainer, and basically amounts to free capacity, I don't think transmission capacity is a concern here. Local distribution capacity might be more of a problem, but fairly easy to solve.

However, the projection is that the electrical grid will become less and less clean in the next few years as there is a shift to more natural gas away from some nuclear. I think EVs efficiency should be based on the average energy emissions, rather than emissions at the time of charging...I suspect getting that detailed is probably irrelevant and at that level of detail, is going to be missing other side-effects like infrastructure investments to support charging anyway.

Interesting and unrelated tidbit. The small town I am in right now has a DC fast charger in their municipal parking lot. It makes a lot of sense because this is a destination that is at the extreme range of EVs from much of the GTA, so to support round trips a fast charger would be necessary. But it is the least efficient of EV charging, albeit also most rare.

RE: Grand River Transit - Rainrider22 - 01-19-2021

Talk to people who work in the electrical distribution field and you will get a different answer. If everything goes electric, we dont have the capacity to generate the electricity let alone distribute it. Also in terms of oil, we still need it. All the cheap stuff you want to buy from China requires immense amounts of bunker fuel to ship. The average car right now has 350kg of plastic in it and expected to increase, that plastic comes from oil. I am happy to see we are working on better alternatives however, we are still along way away from saying good buy to gasoline.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 05:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I do wonder how large an EV population could realistically be charged overnight (considering that few cars will have completely empty batteries each night) given our current spare overnight generation capacity.

In theory, overnight charging is a no brainer, and basically amounts to free capacity, I don't think transmission capacity is a concern here. Local distribution capacity might be more of a problem, but fairly easy to solve.

However, the projection is that the electrical grid will become less and less clean in the next few years as there is a shift to more natural gas away from some nuclear. I think EVs efficiency should be based on the average energy emissions, rather than emissions at the time of charging...I suspect getting that detailed is probably irrelevant and at that level of detail, is going to be missing other side-effects like infrastructure investments to support charging anyway.

Interesting and unrelated tidbit. The small town I am in right now has a DC fast charger in their municipal parking lot. It makes a lot of sense because this is a destination that is at the extreme range of EVs from much of the GTA, so to support round trips a fast charger would be necessary. But it is the least efficient of EV charging, albeit also most rare.

There is some available overnight capacity indeed (though much less so in the daytime, and especially so in the summer), and it is pretty much "free". This is snipped from https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents/presentations/Ontarios-Energy-Dilemma-Apr-2017.pdf.

It might be a gigawatt, or it might be five, depending on the time of year, time of day and the weather. But suppose we have 5 GW of available capacity, and 5M EVs. That's only 1000W (1 kW) per vehicle available for charging. Assume 10 hours of charging time, and 20% of cars need to be charged, and maybe the numbers work (it would provide 50 kWh per car). But it would only work when there is 5 kW of capacity available. If there is less than that, the gas generation has to kick in, or else the power available for charging will need to be curtailed (how?).

At the local level, the biggest bottlenecks will be the transformers and distribution stations, which were not designed with this level of usage in mind. Most multi-residential buildings have little spare capacity, and I suspect the neighbourhood substations may have the same challenge.

(01-19-2021, 05:53 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Talk to people who work in the electrical distribution field and you will get a different answer.  If everything goes electric, we dont have the capacity to generate the electricity  let alone distribute it.  Also in terms of oil, we still need it.  All the cheap stuff you want to buy from China requires immense amounts of bunker fuel to ship. The average car right now has 350kg of plastic in it and expected to increase, that plastic comes from oil.  I am happy to see we are working on better alternatives however, we are still along way away from saying good buy to gasoline.

"Everything goes electric"...how long do you think that would take?

If tomorrow, everything we ever built was electric, it would still take 10-15 years to convert the existing fleet. More likely everything going electric means a 30-50 year timeframe.

This is more than enough time to transition.

I'm tired of this defeatism. We need to change our society, we CAN change our society. We need to stop making excuses for NOT changing our society.

(01-19-2021, 06:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: In theory, overnight charging is a no brainer, and basically amounts to free capacity, I don't think transmission capacity is a concern here. Local distribution capacity might be more of a problem, but fairly easy to solve.

There is some available overnight capacity indeed (though much less so in the daytime, and especially so in the summer), and it is pretty much "free". This is snipped from https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents/presentations/Ontarios-Energy-Dilemma-Apr-2017.pdf.

It might be a gigawatt, or it might be five, depending on the time of year, time of day and the weather. But suppose we have 5 GW of available capacity, and 5M EVs. That's only 1000W (1 kW) per vehicle available for charging. Assume 10 hours of charging time, and 20% of cars need to be charged, and maybe the numbers work (it would provide 50 kWh per car). But it would only work when there is 5 kW of capacity available. If there is less than that, the gas generation has to kick in, or else the power available for charging will need to be curtailed (how?).

At the local level, the biggest bottlenecks will be the transformers and distribution stations, which were not designed with this level of usage in mind. Most multi-residential buildings have little spare capacity, and I suspect the neighbourhood substations may have the same challenge.

I think you are drastically overestimating the amount of charging that is needed. Load balancing is necessary yes, but ultimately most vehicles are driven only a short distance each day. Average commute distance is around 12 km by some sources I found. So 24 km total round trip. With an average of 6 km / kWh, we need 4 kWh per vehicle per night.

Combine that with the impossibility of converting the fleet in anything less than a multi-decade span (like 3+ decades), this isn't a big challenge for a long long time. We will have load balancing issues with renewables long before we use up that excess overnight capacity.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 01-19-2021

I'm going to be a bit of a downer and point out that EVs are a massive step forward in terms of carbon emissions but they still have all the terrible effects on the built form that ICE cars have. They also still have emissions from tire and brake particulates. Should we move to EVs? Absolutely. But we also have to fix the built form (eg grocery store in DTK).

I have the RoW climate change policy direction paper open which I should read and comment on.

As for the thing about diesel buses: Wellington NZ doesn't have LRT and they have only some electric/hybrid buses (they are buying more). It sucks to sit on a bench in the CBD and have 3 diesel buses waiting at the light.

Being ahead of the curve would have been more expensive, probably significantly so. Maybe we still should have been but people don't like paying taxes. (I think people should pay more municipal taxes).

Shipping overseas is incredibly efficient in terms of fuel, although bunker fuel is quite dirty. I think that the shipping from the port to your house is more carbon than from China to Canada.

(01-19-2021, 07:38 PM)plam Wrote: I'm going to be a bit of a downer and point out that EVs are a massive step forward in terms of carbon emissions but they still have all the terrible effects on the built form that ICE cars have. They also still have emissions from tire and brake particulates. Should we move to EVs? Absolutely. But we also have to fix the built form (eg grocery store in DTK).

I have the RoW climate change policy direction paper open which I should read and comment on.

As for the thing about diesel buses: Wellington NZ doesn't have LRT and they have only some electric/hybrid buses (they are buying more). It sucks to sit on a bench in the CBD and have 3 diesel buses waiting at the light.

Being ahead of the curve would have been more expensive, probably significantly so. Maybe we still should have been but people don't like paying taxes. (I think people should pay more municipal taxes).

Shipping overseas is incredibly efficient in terms of fuel, although bunker fuel is quite dirty. I think that the shipping from the port to your house is more carbon than from China to Canada.

I mean, I don't think you're a downer at all. It's an entirely accurate and reasonable point that a large fraction of "environmentalists" in our region (and worldwide) are in complete denial of. It's why we have buildings like evolv which have massive surface parking lots (with resulting environmental costs there) right next to transit stations and yet are heralded as a massive success. No environmentalist should consider that a success.

Being ahead of the curve wasn't even more expensive. I remember regional officials saying that the buses paid for themselves, but only just barely...therefore they'd just buy normal diesels. So it wasn't something at cost us anything, but since it also didn't save us money, only healthcare, noise pollution, etc. So we didn't do it...it was insane.

You are probably right about carbon emissions, the marine fleet is incredibly efficient in CO2 tons / freight ton mile, the "dirtyness" is an air pollution problem, which mostly affects port cities, and the nobody in the middle of the ocean. The fleet has also become more efficient, as a result of lowering their average transit speeds, and are investigating wind power.

At the end of the day, if airplanes and ships were the only things using fossil fuels, we wouldn't have a climate emergency, and those are the two things farthest from being able to transit away from fossil fuels. Everything else we have every day solutions right now, that we are choosing not to implement. Some of these solutions are new technologies that let us do what we're doing now but cleaner (renewable power generation options) and some of them are cultural changes (consuming fewer disposable goods) and some are somewhere in between (maintaining our mobility by using other modes of transportation).

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 01-19-2021

(01-19-2021, 07:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think you are drastically overestimating the amount of charging that is needed. Load balancing is necessary yes, but ultimately most vehicles are driven only a short distance each day. Average commute distance is around 12 km by some sources I found. So 24 km total round trip. With an average of 6 km / kWh, we need 4 kWh per vehicle per night.

If you assume 18,000 km/year (a convenient number but probably not far off the annual average), that's 50 km/day. That would be about 8 kWh/vehicle/night. Anyway, I did post earlier that I was hoping that someone had done some real work on this, rather than me making gross assumptions. I haven't found anything yet, though.

I don't know how to achieve load-balancing (or, really, power management) at the municipal hydro level, especially since EVs are mixed in with standard residential and commercial consumption: there is no simple way to reduce charging power (only) when the capacity is limited. There is software for doing it at the building level -- it's what our building does, as out transformer and panel have limited capacity for adding chargers, maybe 600 kW at best, which is only good for 20 level 2 chargers.

RE: Grand River Transit - Coke6pk - 01-20-2021

(01-19-2021, 06:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: In theory, overnight charging is a no brainer, and basically amounts to free capacity, I don't think transmission capacity is a concern here. Local distribution capacity might be more of a problem, but fairly easy to solve.

One of the things I love about my hybrid, is that the battery is regenerated by braking and coasting, and I never have to plug it in.  Now of course, I don't get all electric range like a fully EV, but I'm happy with it.  

Do full EV's charge themselves to a degree as well?  Perhaps increasing that capacity should be the focus, to have an EV that rarely needs to be plugged in.

Coke

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 01-20-2021

(01-19-2021, 09:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 07:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think you are drastically overestimating the amount of charging that is needed. Load balancing is necessary yes, but ultimately most vehicles are driven only a short distance each day. Average commute distance is around 12 km by some sources I found. So 24 km total round trip. With an average of 6 km / kWh, we need 4 kWh per vehicle per night.

If you assume 18,000 km/year (a convenient number but probably not far off the annual average), that's 50 km/day. That would be about 8 kWh/vehicle/night. Anyway, I did post earlier that I was hoping that someone had done some real work on this, rather than me making gross assumptions. I haven't found anything yet, though.

I don't know how to achieve load-balancing (or, really, power management) at the municipal hydro level, especially since EVs are mixed in with standard residential and commercial consumption: there is no simple way to reduce charging power (only) when the capacity is limited. There is software for doing it at the building level -- it's what our building does, as out transformer and panel have limited capacity for adding chargers, maybe 600 kW at best, which is only good for 20 level 2 chargers.

18,000 km per year is way high. Closer to 15,000. But that is also way skewed. People take a few long trips which push up those numbers, but those long trips will either be in a gas car or charged during the day. (or even better, shifted to a train). 

As for load balancing, there is actually a fair bit of research on smart grid stuff. But it really isn't a technical issue, building software for it isn't hard it's kind of an understood task. The big problem is that it is contrary to the self interest society we have built. It requires cooperation of a majority of the population.  So we either need regulations or economic incentives, and I suspect there needs to be considerable policy research into this.

EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges - ijmorlan - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 08:51 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for load balancing, there is actually a fair bit of research on smart grid stuff. But it really isn't a technical issue, building software for it isn't hard it's kind of an understood task. The big problem is that it is contrary to the self interest society we have built. It requires cooperation of a majority of the population.  So we either need regulations or economic incentives, and I suspect there needs to be considerable policy research into this.

I would start by just making pricing information available in the electrical socket. Then you could tell your dryer a maximum price it should wait for before starting. Same for air conditioners etc.

This is way simpler than trying to design protocols for the power company to turn off your stuff, and also decentralizes the problem: all the power company has to do is provide the correct pricing information (which they should be doing anyway), and every device manufacturer can compete to use that information in the most effective way.

For heating/cooling, one can even imagine a thermostat where you can tell it to cool to 25° for example if power is one price and 23° if it is a cheaper price.

The trick is to harness self interest. Self interest always exists and cannot be entirely eliminated, nor is it clear that one would want to do that. Instead, appeal to a majority’s sense of cooperation to put in place a system that harnesses their natural self interest.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 08:51 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for load balancing, there is actually a fair bit of research on smart grid stuff. But it really isn't a technical issue, building software for it isn't hard it's kind of an understood task. The big problem is that it is contrary to the self interest society we have built. It requires cooperation of a majority of the population.  So we either need regulations or economic incentives, and I suspect there needs to be considerable policy research into this.

For the power management (it's not really "balancing" as it's a question of managing the load and making sure it's no higher than capacity) we can have incentives to reduce the load -- and we do have that today already, to an extent, with time-of-day pricing.

The problem is that it encourages people to make the right decisions, but it doesn't actually cap or prioritize consumption. Imaging a hot August afternoon, with everyone's air conditioner turned on, plus a few million EVs plugged in. If the demand exceeds capacity, we'll have brown-outs. So, what do we do? Price electricity in August super high so that people won't use air conditioning, or that businesses will reduce/stop electricity consumption in the afternoons?

I think it's not a simple problem. If we had the ability to curtail or disable EV charging in such a situation, it would enable us to stay within capacity, but our electrical distribution system doesn't have that kind of functionality. So, we (1) build more generating capacity, (2) implement super pricing, as above, (3) require all EV chargers to be remote-controllable by the hydro, (4) something else.

And I think we should move this to its own thread ...

RE: EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges - tomh009 - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 10:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I would start by just making pricing information available in the electrical socket. Then you could tell your dryer a maximum price it should wait for before starting. Same for air conditioners etc.

This is way simpler than trying to design protocols for the power company to turn off your stuff, and also decentralizes the problem: all the power company has to do is provide the correct pricing information (which they should be doing anyway), and every device manufacturer can compete to use that information in the most effective way.

For heating/cooling, one can even imagine a thermostat where you can tell it to cool to 25° for example if power is one price and 23° if it is a cheaper price.

The trick is to harness self interest. Self interest always exists and cannot be entirely eliminated, nor is it clear that one would want to do that. Instead, appeal to a majority’s sense of cooperation to put in place a system that harnesses their natural self interest.

Yes, this would help. But even this would not ensure that we don't have brown-outs unless your pricing goes extreme at the peaks.

And I think that this, too, would already be a big project: how long would it take to get all local hydros to provide pricing info at the socket (or by wifi or something) -- and to get the majority of appliances and air conditioners upgraded to utilize that information? A decade? Not much less, I think.

RE: EV charging and hydro generation/distribution challenges - danbrotherston - 01-20-2021

(01-20-2021, 10:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

I would start by just making pricing information available in the electrical socket. Then you could tell your dryer a maximum price it should wait for before starting. Same for air conditioners etc.

Obviously a capitalist sociey such as ours, (contrary to modern conservative views) would prefer an economic model to a regulatory model, I entirely agree. 

But, I think economic models are harder to make work. Ultimately, the best economic model is one with perfect information. Ultimately we don't have that...even as a society, which means we must design the model to try and make it work. That's really hard, and subject to perversions. Regulation too may end up with perversions, but more direct control means adjusting for these issues is faster.

Ultimately, there are trade offs, but contrary to popular belief, our society loves central planning, and yet seems to do it in many pessimal ways.