Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 11:12 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 11:51 PM)timc Wrote: One thing that I still haven't seen an answer for is whether monthly passes will be transferable.

It would be great if they were; how do other cities with electronic cards handle monthly passes?

In Amsterdam and London, all travel products (tickets, cash, passes) are electronic and can be considered to be "stored" on the card (how this is ultimately implemented is a detail you can ignore. If you're truly interested, there are some papers from the 70s about Best-Effort Networks I can find for you.).

There is no photo on the card, though you may need to present some means of identification to purchase some travel products (reduced fares for seniors, for instance).

Terms of Use of the cards prohibit transferring the card to someone else, except under certain conditions... not that anyone knows or cares what those are. In such a system, paying for and maintaining one's own card has been made sufficiently simple and convenient that such "frauds" (IANAL, so it might be theft or something, not fraud) are so few that you can ignore them.

What I like is how the Oyster handles fares and passes. If you have a pass on the card, and your travel adheres to its conditions, it'll activate and use that pass. If you don't, it'll take the electronic fare price out of your balance. When the combined electronic fare prices for the day, week, etc... reaches the price of loading a day, week, etc. pass, all subsequent travel on that card is free.

For instance, if a day pass costs 5GBP and an electronic fare costs 2GBP, your first travel deducts 2GBP from your card. Your second travel deducts 2GBP from your card. Your third travel deducts 1GBP from your card, and from now on it is as though you have a Day Pass for the rest of the day (day considered to have started from that first travel time). You can't ever look back and go "Cor, I should've bought a Day Pass instead of having all those normal transit fares" as it automagically converts your fares to buy you the appropriate pass.

Could you imagine if Phone companies or Internet Service Providers had to do this? Overage fees would be capped to whatever an Unlimited Plan costs. You have a 10GB plan for $30 with $1.50 per GB over, but if they have a 20GB plan for $34.50, all the GB between 13 and 20 are "free" because once you hit $34.50 you're now considered to be on a 20GB plan.

It'd be wonderful, sensible, fair, and straightforward. A pity it'll never happen.

RE: Grand River Transit - jamincan - 04-15-2016

Isn't that how Presto works? And I think that's how a lot of data plans work now. Rogers has something called Flex Data or something like that which works like that for my plan anyway.

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 12:27 PM)jamincan Wrote: Isn't that how Presto works? And I think that's how a lot of data plans work now. Rogers has something called Flex Data or something like that which works like that for my plan anyway.

I don't know if that's how Presto works, I've never used Presto.

Is this what you mean from Rogers? http://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/include/views/plan/modal.html?formName=data_plans&plan=flex This is the first I've heard of it, and it does indeed appear relatively sane.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 04-15-2016

Yes, that's how Presto works. You don't load a pass; you take as many trips as equal the cost of the pass, and thereafter your trips are not charged.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 04-15-2016

I specifically asked this about Presto a month ago and was told a definite "No", which I thought was the stupidest thing in the world.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 02:20 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Yes, that's how Presto works. You don't load a pass; you take as many trips as equal the cost of the pass, and thereafter your trips are not charged.

That's how Presto works... for GO Transit.

Other agencies still require pre-purchasing a monthly pass, which is loaded on to the card. There are a lot of different rules applying to the same card.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 02:30 PM)Canard Wrote: I specifically asked this about Presto a month ago and was told a definite "No", which I thought was the stupidest thing in the world.

In what context? I know that's how GO passes work, for certain.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 04-15-2016

I guess your mileage may vary when using Oakville or Burlington Transit or any of the many others using Presto. With Metrolinx/Go, that's exactly how it works.

And TTC? Whenever I go to Toronto, I just get a day pass since I'm never sure if I'll take 3 or 4 or 5 subway trips. I asked on UrbanToronto if I got Presto is it smart enough to stop charging me individual trips when I reach day-pass fare and the answer was "No", so in my mind, that's incredibly stupid. I can't imagine living there and using it, knowing that every day your getting so ripped off.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 04-15-2016

Yes, GO on Presto also has loyalty discounts short of a monthly pass. You just take the bus or train and it applies the best deal for you.

Transferable passes: when I was a kid in Montreal all passes were in principle non transferable. You were supposed to sign them. Sometimes they'd have blitzes where they made people sign their passes. Then it changed such that full fare passes are indeed transferable. Now full fare Opus cards are transferable.

In Zurich you can get a nontransferable monthly pass with photo, or a transferable one for a bit more. There is an advantage to the nontransferable one though: if you forget your pass and get checked, you only have to pay 5chf instead of the normal penalty. (You do that by showing up to pay with the pass.)

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 03:01 PM)Canard Wrote: I asked on UrbanToronto if I got Presto is it smart enough to stop charging me individual trips when I reach day-pass fare and the answer was "No", so in my mind, that's incredibly stupid.

Presto is smart enough, however that's a feature that the TTC is not interested in.
The TTC has the least "smart" integration of Presto of any agency so far. It simply serves as electronic tokens. Which, is useful to a certain segment of the population, as there are a lot of people who use the TTC a lot, but not Metropass a lot.

(04-15-2016, 03:01 PM)Canard Wrote: And TTC? Whenever I go to Toronto, I just get a day pass since I'm never sure if I'll take 3 or 4 or 5 subway trips. I asked on UrbanToronto if I got Presto is it smart enough to stop charging me individual trips when I reach day-pass fare and the answer was "No", so in my mind, that's incredibly stupid. I can't imagine living there and using it, knowing that every day your getting so ripped off.

Right, the TTC and Presto are still new bedfellows. The type of pass you're looking for is set up with the more established agencies.

How is the TTC not the most established agency in the GTHA (if not Canada)?

(04-15-2016, 05:21 PM)Canard Wrote: How is the TTC not the most established agency in the GTHA (if not Canada)?

I meant established with Presto.

RE: Grand River Transit - taylortbb - 04-15-2016

I believe the TTC plan is to eliminate day passes and go to Presto, with the max charge feature you mentioned. However right now the TTC is basically not Presto-enabled. It's on a few subway stations, the streetcars, and that's it. It doesn't support transfers, reduced tickets, passes of any form, etc. This will all change when the TTC finally finishes rolling out Presto, which is probably 2017 at this point.